OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 06:10:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lutheran Church of Sweden to Offer Same-Sex Marriages  (Read 6258 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2009, 10:17:16 PM »

1 Sam. 18:1-4? David and Jonathan did love each other, and Jonathan even "stripped himself" in front of David.

Just kidding. Though I would vote in favor of an evolution of morality, even if I were still Orthodox. Then again, some have a problem with allowing even contraception, so I don't expect that acceptance of homosexuality is going to happen overnight. If at all... I admit that I don't really think that the majority of Orthodoxy will ever take up the position of ozgeorge.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »

Whereas his grace seems to talk of this a strategy to bring the youth in, you seem to speak of it as a concession to leave them as they are.
Could you show me where I "seem" to do this? Or is that just some idea you have in your head?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »

what is your wiggle room verse on same sex marriage? 
Errr... You need to read the thread again. I just said that an ethical verse is not absolute simply for being in the NT, case in point: divorce and remarriage for reasons other than fornication.

I Corinthians 10:23“Everything is permissible”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible”—but not everything is constructive. 24Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others."

What verse leaves over the possibility that homosexuality is permissible, beneficial, constructive or for own's good or that of others?

No, I don't need to read the thread again. I'm on topic.  Open another for your digression.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »

Whereas his grace seems to talk of this a strategy to bring the youth in, you seem to speak of it as a concession to leave them as they are.
Could you show me where I "seem" to do this? Or is that just some idea you have in your head?

Well, why don't you show us where you claim your point was leading to?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2009, 10:25:54 PM »

Errr... You need to read the thread again. I just said that an ethical verse is not absolute simply for being in the NT, case in point: divorce and remarriage for reasons other than fornication.

I Corinthians 10:23“Everything is permissible”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible”—but not everything is constructive. 24Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others."

What verse leaves over the possibility that homosexuality is permissible, beneficial, constructive or for own's good or that of others?
What verse leaves over the possibility that divorce for reasons other than fornication is permissible?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2009, 10:52:30 PM »

What verse leaves over the possibility that divorce for reasons other than fornication is permissible?

I haven't defended that position, so you are going to have to play with someone else on that one, until you get back on topic here.

As to your question though:
I Corinthians 7:1Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry.a 2But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. 3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4The wife’s body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband’s body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. 5Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Christ did not say "except for religious differences."

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2009, 05:44:39 AM »

Christ did not say "except for religious differences."
And St. Paul did not say that if an unbelieving spouse leaves, that the believing spouse can remarry.

Tags: marriage homosexuality Protestant Christianity 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: