OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Debate with Islam  (Read 3434 times) Average Rating: 0
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: October 22, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »

I'm currently reading a book on Sufi Islam (title: The Other Islam. quite a good book, the stories about Sufis and Islamic saints are as holy as some of our own). It has me interested in debate between Orthodoxy and Islam. I've seen many books from protestants, and also quite a few from Catholics, but I've never seen a book, organization, or even a recorded debate between an Orthodox Christian and a Muslim, or any history thereof.

can anyone suggest sources where I could find this? Or provide links? I'd be interested in both eastern AND oriental ones (especially OO's in Muslim countries).

and PLEASE: no making this into an Islam bashing thread! police

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 10:11:32 PM »

I found this cool site:  http://www.geocities.com/umaximov/orthoeng.htm

I'm looking through it right now to see if there's something good in there. 

A lot of the stuff I found through google had to do with the war in Bosnia.  Its actually an interesting idea considering that religion was used much later in the war.  I doubt that anything done in that realm would be impartial. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/2009/06/from-islam-to-orthodox-christianity.html

I found this video/audio of a guy who converted from islam to orthodoxy.  seemed pretty good to me, but i'm not sure what your looking for. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 10:24:40 PM »

Fwiw, the only thing I really found was this page: A Christian/Moslem Debate of the 12th Century

He ducked back down the alley / With some roly-poly little bat-faced girl

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:13 PM »

The Coptic Orthodox Priest fr zakaria botros has some videos online. They are mostly in Arabic, a few are in english, but they are in bits and pieces on youtube. I thought about stitching alot together into one long one, but I messed up somehow and never tried it again.

I think there is a good and practical reason why you don't see alot of debates between the two (EO & ISLAM).

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:36:12 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »

I think there is a good and practical reason why you don't see alot of debates between the two (EO & ISLAM).
And that would be?...

I wouldn't call it a "debate," but there's also the criticism of Islam by Emperor Manuel II Palaiologos that got Pope Benedict XVI a lot of heat a few years ago.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:41:55 PM by Super Apostolic Bros. » Logged
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »

Fwiw, the only thing I really found was this page: A Christian/Moslem Debate of the 12th Century

This was intriguing to say the least.  Cool

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »

Check out Fr. Zakaria's website. Go to the books section and he has many writings about Islam.

http://www.fatherzakaria.net/
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:09:09 AM »

I have many Muslim friends, and the last thing I would want to do is engage them in a debate. Most Muslims I know seem primarily interested in righteousness, social justice, racial unity, and honoring God. I have never had a Muslim try to convert me. Therefore, I strongly encourage all Orthodox Christians not to try to convert Muslims via theological debate. Simply share the beauty of Orthodoxy with them, emphasizing the mystery and the holiness of our Faith. Share the lives of the Saints, and the witness of the martyrs. Answer their questions, and defend our doctrine with love and respect. Also, be willing to listen and learn from them as well. After all, a lot of Muslims may be closer to the Kingdom than evangelical Protestants.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 02:35:24 AM »

After all, a lot of Muslims may be closer to the Kingdom than evangelical Protestants.

Watch it.  Don't so readily throw other Christians who call upon our Savior daily by name underneath the bus like that.  They might not know half of what they are talking about, but they know how to love Christ as God in a simple way and how to share that love.  To place a false religion like Islam 'ahead' of a Christian group, heretical as it might be, seems a bit like overkill.

Anyway, I hope that Orthodox Christians continue to not argue with Muslims.  I honestly can't stand anymore God-squabbles right now, within or outside of Christianity.  Let's all shut up and pray for a while!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:45:11 AM »

After all, a lot of Muslims may be closer to the Kingdom than evangelical Protestants.

Watch it.  Don't so readily throw other Christians who call upon our Savior daily by name underneath the bus like that.  They might not know half of what they are talking about, but they know how to love Christ as God in a simple way and how to share that love.  To place a false religion like Islam 'ahead' of a Christian group, heretical as it might be, seems a bit like overkill.

Anyway, I hope that Orthodox Christians continue to not argue with Muslims.  I honestly can't stand anymore God-squabbles right now, within or outside of Christianity.  Let's all shut up and pray for a while!

I agree with you. That's why I said "may."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 06:39:43 AM »

I have read that the initial followers of Mohamed were remnants of one of the heresies related to the Church's understanding of the Person of Christ, of the 6th century; the loosing side resolved by an Ecumenical Synod.  Secular historians consider their position as a political opposition to the leadership of the Byzantine Empire.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »

And that would be?...

I wouldn't call it a "debate," but there's also the criticism of Islam by Emperor Manuel II Palaiologos that got Pope Benedict XVI a lot of heat a few years ago.

http://thepeoplescube.com/red/viewtopic.php?t=836#

As to the OP, "Seeing Islam as Others Saw it" has a good survey of early stuff, including OO and EO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeing_Islam_as_Others_Saw_It

John of Damascus on Islam: The "Heresy of the Ishmaelites." By Daniel J. Sahas
http://books.google.ro/books?id=pYSl_cyYHssC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Daneil+Sahas+Islam&hl=en#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Adel Thedore Khoury has written a lot.  I can't remember where is Fr. Meyendorff of bless memory's essay on the topic "Byzantine Perceptions of Islam."

Medieval Christian perceptions of Islam By John Victor Tolan
http://books.google.ro/books?id=e1pg8s9hVwoC&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=Meyendorff+perceptions+of+Islam&source=bl&ots=y35WgmWwpc&sig=m6C43x6-VfXhjBkIA1fQKgnQ-uw&hl=en&ei=ebjhSsKTJIfMNZ3mza8B&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: