OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:37:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online Pastoral Schools  (Read 1526 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: October 22, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

I came across this link for the online Pastoral School of the Diocese of Chicago and Mid-America of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. Does anyone know of any other online pastoral schools or programs?

http://www.orthodoxtheologicalschool.org/
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »

I'm not aware of any other Orthodox online schools/degrees of any kind, besides the one you have already linked.  There are distance learning programs (St. Stephen's, and the GOA's Deaconate training program), but not strictly online programs (and even the one linked above isn't strictly online - it has a one-week residential requirement for the summer).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:28:24 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »

Not sure about pastoral schools, but there was Holy Trinity Orthodox School (ROCOR), which I don't think it ever really got off the ground. And then there is St. Stephen's Course (Antiochian). Those are the only other two that I know about.

EDIT--Nevermind, I see that Fr. George beat me to it. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:32:12 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.  One more thing; I heard that one of the requirements for the school that I mentioned is that you have to be conversant in Russian and be able to sing/chant in Slavonic. Do you think that's true??  Huh
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:07:40 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.  One more thing; I heard that one of the requirements for the school that I mentioned is that you have to be conversant in Russian. do you think that's true?

The clause is something like "conversant in Russian, or another language particular to your jurisdiction."  Translation: if you're ROCOR, Russian; Antiochian, Arabic (or English, maybe), etc.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 06:43:39 PM »

Looks like a really interesting idea.  I wish there were more opportunities like this.  The only drawback is that you have to attend several weeks (or a semester) learning Church Slavonic.  Very few Americans will know about, understand or care about Church Slavonic.  But, as long as we Orthodox insist on hanging our hats on the ethnic thing, get used to puzzled looks when you say you're "Orthodox Christian".

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:37:57 PM »

A follow-up for those interested.  I emailed the pastoral school's administration. Here is our correspondance.

Hello,

I was interested in obtaining more information about the Orthodox pastoral school. I am a layman within the AOCA jurisdiction. I have no plans of becoming ordained, but I would like to obtain some formal education in my faith.

I have heard that in order to apply to this school, one must be able to display conversational abilities in Russian and have some knowledge of Slavonic. Would this pertain also to those that don't intend to hold formal Church positions(such as myself)?

Thanks,

(my name)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear (my name),

Thank you for your inquiry about the Pastoral School of the Diocese of Chicago and Mid-America.
Unfortunately, you have been given incorrect information. Applicant are not required to have a knowledge of either Russian or Church Slavonic in order to apply to the School. Although Pastoral Theology (seminary) students are required to have a basic knowledge of the liturgical language of their jurisdiction, that is not Russian or Church Slavonic in many instances.
There are two major programs of study offered by the School--Pastoral Theology and Orthodox Studies. The OS major is for those not wishing to becomes members of the clergy and it has no language requirements at all. Both majors do however require 60 credits of previous college credit. If you are interested in enrolling in the School I would suggest that you go to our web site and review the on-line catalogue. It should provide answers to most of your questions. In the mean time please feel free to write me with any questions that you might have.
Again, thank you for your inquiry.
Archpriest Martin Swanson, Ph.D.
Dean
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:38:50 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Tags: school 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: