OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 05:10:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop Derderian Lectures at St. Mark Coptic Church in Los Angeles  (Read 1400 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: October 21, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »

Upon the invitation of His Grace Bishop Serapion of the Diocese of Los Angeles, His Eminence Archbishop Hovnan Derderian, Primate of the Western Diocese of the Armenian Church of North America, delivered a lecture on "The Priest and Contemporary Challenges," during the Southern California Coptic Clergy Assembly at St. Mark Coptic Church in Los Angeles, On October 15, 2009. 

Read the whole article here:

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/primate-lectures-at-st-mark-coptic-church-in-los-angeles/

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »

Pictures:

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »

It is strange seeing those plasma screens affixed to the sides of the iconostasis!
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »

It's probably to translate the liturgy into English.  In my church we have a power point screen which translates the liturgy from Classical Armenian to Modern Armenian and English.  I've seen something similar in the Syriac Orthodox cathedral in Burbank.  It takes getting used to, but at least it prevents people who don't come to church from using the excuse, "I don't understand the liturgy."   Smiley

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »

I definitely like the idea of being more open to technology in the ancient churches.  Eastern Orthodoxy seems to resist such things, but I really like how accepting the Oriental churches are of it, even when it seems in poor taste, such as the lights flashing around the altar in the Indian church, or how strange it is to see microphones being held up to the priest or deacon's mouth.  It just happens without any real thought or deliberation, which seems nice to me.  I'm not saying that I would enjoy it, I just like how accepting the Oriental church is of technology in general without making a big deal out of everything.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:28:42 AM »

Yeah, I guess we OO's are on the cutting edge.   Grin

Don't any EO's churches do power point screen translations?

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:32:29 AM »

Yeah, I guess we OO's are on the cutting edge.   Grin

Personally, I've never seen it.  And to a lot, it would be unthinkable.  Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:34:23 AM »

Years ago, I had the honor meeting, listening to, and being graced by the speaking of Sayidna Hovnan. He is a wonderful, humble and holy man. Would that more Bishops of every Orthodox Church, Oriental, Orthodox, and Western were more like him.

May our Lord grant him many years!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:42:36 AM »

It appears that the guy on the right doesn't have a beard. Is outrage!
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:47:10 AM »

I don't think he's clergy.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 12:49:06 AM »

Ok. Smiley I just thought it funny how he stuck out, since everyone else has a beard in that photo.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 01:22:59 AM »

Yeah, I guess we OO's are on the cutting edge.   Grin

Personally, I've never seen it.  And to a lot, it would be unthinkable.  Tongue

I know what you mean.  I remember when we first got our power point screen a lot of people didn't like it.  Among other things, when it was lowered it covered an icon of our patron saint.  Also, it just doesn't look "proper."  A lot of people objected and I didn't feel entirely comfortable with it myself.  However, after a while most people got to like it.  Since Armenian liturgies are always in Classical Armenian, which is a dead language, I think a lot of people appreciated being able to understand it more easily.  Of course we always had liturgy books, but not everyone wants to go to the trouble of holding one and looking at it.  The power point screen is just easier.   Smiley 

That being said, I'm not sure any other Armenian parishes have one.  I've just seen it in Coptic and Syriac churches.  Also, I've visited an Ethiopian church in West Los Angeles that had one.  I guess it is catching on, but it will take a while before it becomes anything like a universal practice.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 03:11:22 AM »

Right now, it seems like a standard in the Coptic churches of NJ to have powerpoint screens at least on one side of the church.  Where a church is not structured to have powerpoint screens or plasma TV's, I have to admit it disrupts the beauty of the iconostasis.  That isn't to say I don't like the idea.  I think it's very helpful and keeps the congregation following along with the services.  But I do hear that new churches being built are keeping in mind to have it so that screens can be put up without disrupting the beauty of the iconostasis.

By the way, this whole screen this is an evolution of something previous.  Since we all use the same book, a small led-number system was stuck on a high part of the iconostasis to guide people on what page they're in in the service.  Now, I guess people thought, why have books and page numbers when you can just show them the words yourself?  And thus the idea of powerpoint liturgies and screens was born.  You can download these powerpoint liturgies online.  The most popular one is from the St. George and St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church's website from Jersey City, NJ.

I heard rumors that the new priest in Staten Island who's tech savvy wanted to go further and put up screens on the pews, but obviously that's quite a financial mountain to climb.  But I guess this idea has been patented now, so no copycats! (no, j/k, but the pew screens is a real rumor).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:20:27 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »

My only issue with the screens is that they could be a distraction. Right now, only those who want to use books. The rest of us who know the Liturgy generally do not. With a screen, however, everyone will see the words, which could be a problem for those people for whom reading the words distracts from praying them.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 03:55:39 PM »

I also like getting away from the noise of the world and a constant inundation of screens: computer, television or otherwise.  So in a sense I could see myself disliking this as it would seem to remove an element of the refuge of the church from the hurried world.  I just can't make up my mind!
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 11:52:06 PM »

I heard rumors that the new priest in Staten Island who's tech savvy wanted to go further and put up screens on the pews,

Now that's too much!   Cheesy

Tags: Armenian Church Coptic Orthodox Church power point 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: