OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:50:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rastafari question?  (Read 2662 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: October 21, 2009, 02:04:06 AM »

Who are the Rastafari? How did they come about and why do they venerate the emperor H Selassie as a god?

I have read that a number of them attend the Abyssinian Church.  Does this mean that this movement is more of a philosophy then an actual religion?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 02:16:23 AM »

*sigh*

Read this: http://jbburnett.com/resources/redington_rasta.pdf

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:35:41 AM »

Rastafari is more properly understood as a lifestyle, a philosophy, or a worldview. There are a diversity of beliefs within Rastafari, but here are the main things upon which all Rastas essentially agree:

-One God and one human family

-The teachings and philosophy of Emperor Haile Selassie I

-Respect and reverence for life (Rastafarians are adamantly opposed to abortion, war, and captial punishment).

-Roots and culture (i.e. knowledge of self through the awareness of African ancestry and heritage, as Africa is the cradle of civilization and the birthplace of humanity; but this is not African superiority, rather African priority. Special emphasis upon Ethiopia).

-Peace and nonviolence (although this is not a "hippy" peace, but rather an authentic peace that is predicated upon justice).

-Avoidance of politics, organized religion, and other manifestations of "Babylon's" system. (Babylon is defined by Rastas as any system or ideology that opposes the laws and love of "JAH," i.e. God).

-Reverence and knowledge of the Bible (Rastas believe that Babylon has corrupted the true meaning of the Bible, but that JAH will reveal its true meaning to them through idividual and collective "reasoning." Since JAH dwells within every man, every man can understand the Bible for himself if he is pure).

-Natural or "Ital" lifestyle. Most Rastafarians are essentially vegetarians, as it promotes life and doesn't involve killing. The dreadlocks are also a manifestation of the natural man.

OK, those are just a few things for now. It's a lot deeper than that for sure. Not all Rastas worship Haile Selassie. The largest "mansion" of Rastafarians is the "12 Tribes" which was founded by Dr. Vernon Carrington. He taught that Haile Selassie was not God, and that Jesus Christ alone was to be worshipped. Many 12 Tribes Rastafarians are also Ethiopian Orthodox Christians.

Much that has been written about Rastafari from an academic perspective is greatly misleading. Rastafari is very mystical, and efforts to categorize it as a cult or religion are erroneous. Certainly those that worship Haile Selassie are in great error; but their love for Haile Selassie provides a perfect opportunity to show them the Light of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and the Light of Our Lord.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:43:57 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 03:20:56 AM »

*sigh*

Been a few years since I've seen that site linked to! Smiley It's the only place on the net that I know of that has one of my favorite patristic works, On Those who Think They Are Made Righteous by Works, by St. Mark the Monk. (Couldn't resist putting in a plug for that text)

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:38:10 AM »

How can Selassie be considered divine if he and his armies were defeated by IL Duce in 1935?  The Italians vanquished him and it took the British to reinstall him as emperor in the 40's.  Do Rastas view this defeat as sort of crucifixion and his eventual restoration as a resurrection?

Also, did Selassie view those that worshipped him as a god in a positive light and what was the Abyssinian Churches opinion if this movement?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:44:03 AM »

Hey, even the God of the Old Testament couldn't win every battle...

"And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." - Jud. 1:19

Wink

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 05:28:11 AM »

Why in my Bible copy 16th verse is the last verse in the first chapter of the Book of Judith and I cannot find that quote?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »

Sorry, I should have added an extra letter (Judg.), because I meant the book of Judges, not Judith. Smiley

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:24:41 PM »

Lol, thanks. In my Polish copy there is a dot, so it clearly states that it was not God, who could not conquer the valley, but Judah.

I have no idea, why in your Bible it's about God.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »

How can Selassie be considered divine if he and his armies were defeated by IL Duce in 1935?  The Italians vanquished him and it took the British to reinstall him as emperor in the 40's.  Do Rastas view this defeat as sort of crucifixion and his eventual restoration as a resurrection?

Also, did Selassie view those that worshipped him as a god in a positive light and what was the Abyssinian Churches opinion if this movement?

First of all, please understand again that not all Rastas worship Haile Selassie.

But to answer your questions... Rastas are not dissuaded by logical facts or historical record. They have a fundamental distrust of anything that "Babylon," tells them- be it history, interpretations of the Bible, etc. For those that believe Haile Selassie is divine, there isn't really anything you can say that will change their mind. Of course Mussolini was not victorious in his efforts to colonize Ethiopia, and the fact that Ethiopia is the only African nation to never have been colonized does not go unnoticed by Rastafarians.

Haile Selassie was deeply disturbed when he learned that there was a group of people in Jamaica who were worshipping him as God. That's why he sent Abuna Yesehaq to Jamaica to establish the Orthodox Christian Faith there, Thanks be to God!

Selam

believer74

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 11:02:46 PM »

Didn't Bob Marley become Orthodox, too?  Cool
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 12:24:04 AM »

Didn't Bob Marley become Orthodox, too?  Cool

Yes he did! He was baptized into the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church by Archbishop Yesehaq, and given the baptism name Birhan Selassie- "Light of the Trinity." Smiley

Selam

Ras Salem
The Lion

Faith: Judaism-Christianity
Jurisdiction: Melchizedek Order

Abba Ta'chin-hoy Besem'mey Ye'mit-nor

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »

Greetings To All,  I would like to thank you on behalf of ALL Rastafarians about spreading the truth about us.  It's not a lot of people who actually inquire true knowledge about our "Religious Movement". Se'lah-Sellassie I JAH!!! Ras Tefar I!!! Bless'ed Love

Bless'ed Love
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »

Greetings To All,  I would like to thank you on behalf of ALL Rastafarians about spreading the truth about us.  It's not a lot of people who actually inquire true knowledge about our "Religious Movement". Se'lah-Sellassie I JAH!!! Ras Tefar I!!! Bless'ed Love

BLESSED CORONATION DAY Ras Salem!

Selam

Ras Salem
The Lion

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »

Greetings To All.  Give thanks Beloved I really appreciate that and same to you.  Se'lah-Sellassie I JAH Ras Tefar I.  Bless'ed Love

Bless'ed Love
Ras Salem
The Lion

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »

*sigh*

Greetings To All,
                      This is a very good article for anyone who has no clue about our religious movement.  From this article it does vary from sect to sect.  I am an American "Federation" Member. E.W.F.Inc.-Melchizedek Order Local #18, Norfolk, VA US.

Bless'ed Love
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »

*sigh*

Greetings To All,
                      This is a very good article for anyone who has no clue about our religious movement.  From this article it does vary from sect to sect.  I am an American "Federation" Member. E.W.F.Inc.-Melchizedek Order Local #18, Norfolk, VA US.

Greetings in that divine and most precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Indeed that is a fairly decent article on the topic of Rastafari, a subject hardly mentioned with any sincerity or authenticity in books and articles and such, rather Rastafari is generally a concept which must be learned from its demonstration in contact with others who are experienced within Rastafari.  Of especial significance is the section discussing the EWF/Trinidad connection with the Tewahedo Ethiopian Orthodox Church, as in fact the parishes founded in the Caribbean were the first Tewahedo parishes to be founded outside of Africa or Jerusalem, aside from the solitary consecrated tabot which HIM Haile Selassie I personally brought to Bath, England while in exile there.  The True Tewahedo Faith is in fact HIM Haile Selassie I greatest gift to the Rastafari people and to the world at large, as it is the ancient faith continued in perpetuity into the modern times.  Further, the tabots subsequently scattered across Africa, Europe and the Americas became sanctuaries and shelters for Ethiopian peoples fleeing the Derg era persecutions and martyrdom..  Today many Ethiopians remain in-exile communities which revolve around Tewahedo Churches, Bishops and Priests who were delegated by HIM Haile Selassie.

The Tewahedo Churches in Trinidad were in fact what attracted HIM Haile Selassie to Jamaica in 1966, as HIM was already visiting those churches and clergy there in the Caribbean when the EWF and Rastafari community in JA requested that the Emperor stop by, which HIM did to discuss some business with the Rastafari leadership, to award some medals and distinctions among some EWF Jamaican/Rastafari leaders, and to negotiate the founding of more Tewahedo parishes in the islands, in particularly in Jamaica.

There is a deep interconnection in the past 75 years between Emperor Haile Selassie, the Tewahedo Ethiopian Orthodox Church, and the Rastafari community in the Caribbean, Europe and the United States. Many unspoken and rarely documented events of great significance took place in relation.

Stay Blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 10:48:04 PM »

So I must confess my transgression! In sincerity and good intention I wrote the above prayer to Haile Selassie. But my Priest has just advised me that I should not pray to His Majesty since he has not been canonized. In spite of the inclinations of my heart, I must follow the advice of my EOTC Priest. I apologize for being hasty in my actions, and I hope that I have not led anyone into error. I must learn to temper my zeal and be patient so as to glorify God rather than myself. Please forgive my impetuous actions, and please pray for me.

Selam,
Gebre Menfes Kidus

Tags: Rastafarianism Rastafarian Rasta rastafari 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: