OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 07:41:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prosperity Gospel  (Read 1860 times) Average Rating: 0
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: October 29, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRue4nwJaA

Not from an Orthodox point of view, but I think he mostly hits the nail on the head.

John Piper may be a Calvinist... but hey, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »

When I was Presbyterian, i was a huge fan of Piper. Still am.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Sakeneko

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »

The "prosperity gospel" basically states that if a person is faithful to God's commands and gives generously to his Church, God will reward him many times over *with earthly prosperity and material awards*.  It also largely views any failure to prosper in a material fashion as proof that an individual is in sin. :/   I could say more, but anybody familiar with the Holy Scriptures should recognize it as the purest heresy, and one that is unusually self-serving for those that preach it to encourage their flock to give them lots of money.
ironsiderodger

Faith: Interesting question...
Jurisdiction: n/a

St Eudocia- still in progress.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »

When I was Presbyterian, i was a huge fan of Piper. Still am.

Yeah there's some things I definitely disagree with Piper on, BUT, when somebody appears to love God as much as he does, I shouldn't wonder that every once in a while Calvinistic tradition simply gets overidden.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLRue4nwJaA

Not from an Orthodox point of view, but I think he mostly hits the nail on the head.

John Piper may be a Calvinist... but hey, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.
Or even three times a day, at the end of Daylight Saving Time.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 07:28:52 AM »

I was never a Calvinist, at least not a hard line one. However I always kinda liked Piper and and Waher too for that matter. John MacArthur??? Well I will pray for him

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 05:42:13 PM »

Of course it's heresy.

This gospel of prosperity also motivated another writer, Max Weber to write an article about why Protestant countries are rich and why Catholic countries are poor.

This ideology fills the doctrine of the Evangelical sects that come south of the border to convert Latin Americans to their heresy. They do the same in Russia. They say our people's economic situation will prosper if we convert to Protestantism, they claim that the USA are wealthy because the pure gospel is followed there instead of the medieval traditions (refering to the Apostolic Churches).

An adaptation of this ideology is taught even by some Catholics. Criticisms against those who promote (some bishops like Onesimo Cepeda of Ecatepec and some RC orders like the Legionaries of Christ), state that during the cold war, they were fervently in favour of Liberation theology preaching Marxism (because of the support they had from the government and the ruling PRI) and that once the political environment changed they suddenly started promoting this gospel of prosperity.

I don't know if this opinion exists among the Orthodox. Probably it exists in the US because of so many former Protestants who join Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:47:22 PM by Mexican » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »

Good video. Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »

Yeah, that video was ON POINT! I read John Piper's book "Desiring God" years ago, and was very edified by it. I think he's one of those Orthodox Christians who just doesn't know it yet. Wink I mean, he sure seems to understand that the Gospel entails suffering.

May God bless this man.
"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 11:36:30 PM »

Sometimes when I read some modern books or texts regarding theosis it almost seems to me to be a variety of prosperity gospel, i.e. "achieve your true potential".
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »

"... but hey, even a broken clock is correct twice a day". 

Its corrective is all relative to what you aim to do with the information...you wouldn't rely upon it to count heartbeats, would you?

john

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »

Sometimes when I read some modern books or texts regarding theosis it almost seems to me to be a variety of prosperity gospel, i.e. "achieve your true potential".
I think you are mistaken

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »

I think you are mistaken

Obviously, theosis itself has nothing to do with "prosperity gospel"- the "potential" of theosis has nothing to do with corruptible earthly wealth. However, I have seen books with titles like Theosis: Achieving Your Potential in Christ. While the doctrine contained in the book is not "prosperity gospel," that's a self-help title if I ever saw one. It's a tone we really should avoid.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »

I think you are mistaken

Obviously, theosis itself has nothing to do with "prosperity gospel"- the "potential" of theosis has nothing to do with corruptible earthly wealth. However, I have seen books with titles like Theosis: Achieving Your Potential in Christ. While the doctrine contained in the book is not "prosperity gospel," that's a self-help title if I ever saw one. It's a tone we really should avoid.

That may have been the book I was referring to, actually.
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 01:09:13 AM »

Has anyone by chance read Hank Hanegraaff's "Christianity in Crisis: 21st Century"? I think he hit the nail right on the head in describing the reason for the heretical prosperity gospel is because it's fueled fueled by another nasty heresy that says faith is a metaphysical force. This is why at the "healing crusades" when someone isn't healed it's because that they didn't have enough of this metaphysical force (aka faith) to cause healing in their situation (yes, I'm imagining many of your jaws dropping at this ridiculous belief, but they absolutely hold to it).

Justin Peters, a baptist minister, has gone great lengths to counter this movement:

video, part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyvcc9sFWh0
video, part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEP3kkW-XY&feature=related
video, part 3:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVTiab3TXk&feature=related
video, part 4:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cIHv15OVu0&feature=related

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Tags: Protestant Christianity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: