OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:10:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jordanville Prayer Book vs Holy Transfiguration Prayer Book  (Read 13465 times) Average Rating: 0
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »

I mean, for crying out loud, the Jordanville morning prayers section is like 53 pages long!

I just checked, and it's 26 pages, just for accuracy.

I love the Jordanville still, but the morning prayers are almost never preformed by me because I loathe the mornings. If I am ever going to begin a morning prayer rule then it's going to need to be five minutes long or something. I used to pray them as a stay-at-home dad, but now that I am off for work early every morning it just doesn't get done.

I firmly believe that it's important, though. Prayer is what life is all about.

There is a CD of the Jordanville Morning Prayers and the Prayers Before Sleep, and sometimes I use that on the way to work.  It's read by a monastic, I think, so he just reads like a pro at prayer, with very clear enunciation, no drama, which is nice.  There are only a few minor differences from the book, and my wording has settled into my own pattern for some of the prayers anyway.  For example, I don't just pray for Russia, but for all Orthodox Christians.    It's not the same as actually doing the rule, but maybe it's better than nothing.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,51342.0.html

The link above is to a more recent thread covering the differences between the HTM and the Jordanville Prayerbook with more emphasis on the HTM prayerbook.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 01:38:09 AM »

In order of usefulness and use:

1. Old Orthodox Prayerbook (Russian Old Rite)
2. Jordanville Prayerbook
3. HTM Prayerbook

Why do you like the Old Rite one best?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »

I mean, for crying out loud, the Jordanville morning prayers section is like 53 pages long!

I love the Jordanville still, but the morning prayers are almost never preformed by me because I loathe the mornings. If I am ever going to begin a morning prayer rule then it's going to need to be five minutes long or something. I used to pray them as a stay-at-home dad, but now that I am off for work early every morning it just doesn't get done.

From one lazy layman to another, I often find myself praying in the car in the mornings. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

I think something to keep in mind with these prayer books and their lengthy rules is that they represent an imposition of monastic-style rules on laymen. My understanding is that this has only been done for the last couple of centuries. A short, 5-minute morning rule is a lot better than a long one that we feel too tired/ discouraged to pray. I have seen other prayer books with much shorter rules.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 08:08:04 PM »

Since i only have the little red prayer book I'll say Jordanville, its just so neat.

Thank you.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »

From one lazy layman to another, I often find myself praying in the car in the mornings. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

I think something to keep in mind with these prayer books and their lengthy rules is that they represent an imposition of monastic-style rules on laymen. My understanding is that this has only been done for the last couple of centuries. A short, 5-minute morning rule is a lot better than a long one that we feel too tired/ discouraged to pray. I have seen other prayer books with much shorter rules.

I don't see it as an imposition at all.  No one is telling me to do the entire thing.  Better to do what you can and keep your mind on Christ as often as you can throughout the day.  Sometimes, I am discouraged or tired or rushed and all I can say is the Lord's prayer.  I have found that the days that don't start with prayer are the more difficult days.  Also, it's better to pray in the car than listening to garbage on the radio or cursing other people on the road (I'm guilty of both).

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »

It'd be interesting to see an article on the development of Christian personal prayer (especially among laity) if anyone has one.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »

+1

This little prayer book has nice, short morning and evening prayers.  It doesn't take long to memorize them and then you don't even need to use the book itself at all--unless, of course, you want to  Wink.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »

It'd be interesting to see an article on the development of Christian personal prayer (especially among laity) if anyone has one.

Here ya go:

http://frsergei.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/morning-and-evening-prayer-rules-in-the-russian-orthodox-tradition/

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »

+1

This little prayer book has nice, short morning and evening prayers.  It doesn't take long to memorize them and then you don't even need to use the book itself at all--unless, of course, you want to  Wink.

A Greek priest gave this to me when I first started inquiring. It's a nice little book. One cool thing it has that the Jordanville doesn't is a section on preparing for confession.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »

+1

A Greek priest gave this to me when I first started inquiring. It's a nice little book. One cool thing it has that the Jordanville doesn't is a section on preparing for confession.

There's actually nothing about that book that I dislike!  Its small size, brevity, and simplicity are perfect.  When and if I have more time or want lengthier or "supplemental" prayers, I usually turn to the Jordanville prayer book.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags: prayer book 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: