OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 12:52:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: suggestions for OCnet upgrades  (Read 11216 times) Average Rating: 0
Karamazov
Elder

« on: December 06, 2003, 11:45:59 AM »

Here are some things I'd like like to see changed to make OCnet a more wonderfuller cyber-place to be:

Have both old and new calendar feast and fast days listed on the calendar.
Ability to use larger avatars.
Ability to post music "snippets" - samples for others to enjoy.
Ability to attach small files (pics, music snippets etc) to instant messages.
Ability to select more than one choice on polling features.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 12:28:20 PM »

One thing we won't be doing is bigger avatars, sorry! I hate big avatars Sad  But, the other suggestions all sound good!

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 12:56:28 PM »

Yeah, Dustin, big avatars take up way too much real estate.

I would also like to see it MANDATORY that a poster either NOT be allowed to use titles in their names (because this conotates an authority which may not be there), or MUST define his/her affiliation/denomination/explanation if they do.

I think it could be a bit confusing for an Orthodox or a searcher to come to this board and see a screen name which contains a Title like....... hmmmmmm, oh I don't know --- Brother, Priest, etc. and not have it cleary defined that that title has not been conferred by the Church.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 01:00:11 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 06:04:37 PM »

Tom: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2334

and if you read this thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=2330

you will see that it was MY idea.  Thank you for your barely veiled contempt.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 06:08:00 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 06:09:19 PM »

I would suggest an IGNORE function to allow some people to be placed on ignore.  I'm sure it would make Tom very happy to have such a function.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 06:11:03 PM »

you will see that it was MY idea.

And an excellent idea it was!  Cheesy

So what are you waiting for? Edit your profile and put that info UNDER your avatar!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 06:27:10 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 07:53:54 PM »

the caption under my avitar belongs with the avitar. just like the caption under YOURS goes with your avitar.

Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 08:24:59 PM »

I would also like to see it MANDATORY that a poster either NOT be allowed to use titles in their names (because this conotates an authority which may not be there), or MUST define his/her affiliation/denomination/explanation if they do.

I think it could be a bit confusing for an Orthodox or a searcher to come to this board and see a screen name which contains a Title like....... hmmmmmm, oh I don't know --- Brother, Priest, etc. and not have it cleary defined that that title has not been conferred by the Church.

I agree.  Good idea.  BTW, I didn't mean HONKIN' BIG AVATARS, just a wee bit bigger.  Seems every time I try to upload one, I have to make it so small it's indiscernable.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 04:53:18 PM »

the caption under my avitar belongs with the avitar. just like the caption under YOURS goes with your avitar.  

I just changed the caption under my avatar. Now the new one goes with my avater. See how easy that was?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 05:03:12 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 05:38:17 PM »

and mine still goes with MY avitar. Smiley Besides, I have advertised in my name what affiliation I am - OFC.  If you think I'm going to play the OT leper you are mistaken.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 05:54:32 PM »

Okay Max, then add a DISCLAIMER like I did.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 06:02:30 PM »

Tom: gat a grip.  This is a message board not the UN or an ecumenical conference.  EVERYONE here voices their own opinions - many times their opinions line up with that of a given church, often they do not.  When the new feature is added where we can choose our religious alignment, I'll do just that.  Until then, people are free to question me on who and what I am and as many here will attest I will answer freely and truthfully.  I refuse to bow to the pressures of political correctness. Smiley

This discussion, for my part is over.  If you have any objections to me as a poster on this forum I suggest that you take it up with management because they ALONE have the right to pressure me in this manor and to date they have not chosen to do so.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 06:48:39 PM »

I'm really thinking we need an ignore function.  BADLY!!

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 06:50:43 PM »

I didn't think we could change our names at present?

I must admit I find it hard addressing people by some of their sign on names

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 07:11:51 PM »

IMO,

Get rid of free for all, how much does it take up in band width ? Most of the posting occurs there does'nt it ?

Do we need a BS thread, no no no Tongue

Lets talk Orthodoxy  Shocked

Down, down with free for all,  I say !!!

james
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 07:14:58 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 07:14:08 PM »

I'd rather pay to support the bandwidth than try to restrict content too much.

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 07:14:49 PM »

I'm really thinking we need an ignore function.  BADLY!!

Seconded - very very BADLY

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 07:14:49 PM »

Yes. I think that everyone should have to pay to be a member.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 09:54:38 PM »

What would you guys think about having two levels of membership..the regular free level, and supporting member.  Maybe restrict avatars to supporting members, and let them have their own forum.  I haven't run any of these ideas by the other admins/mods yet, it's just my opinion as a user.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 10:34:56 PM »

WOW I haven't even SEEN this thread before!!!

Just FYI, there IS an ignore function.  If you "view" the profile of the person you wish to ignore, there should be a checkbox marked "MUTE USER." By clicking this, you will not be able to see their posts or PMs.

As far as content goes, I see no reason to restrict certain elements, such as avatars, to members who fork over cash.  That kind of defeats the point of the site, as we want this to be a free and fun discussion forum.   Of course, benefactors who wish to contribute are always welcome, and may contact anastasios or myself if they wish to do so.  We have had a gracious benefactor this past year, who had wished to remain nameless, but he was definitely an answer to some prayers.

As far as avatars go, anastasios wanted to keep them at a set limit, but I have fixed some avatar code that should allow users to post larger images.

I am a little behind with my work, so I wasn't able to release the new version of OC.net on time earlier this month, but I can almost guarantee that during January, you will see the next version of OC.net that I have worked diligently on, and all i can say is that there are PLENTY of new features and toys to play with.

Oh, and BTW if someone is interested in being a "date/feast maintainer" I am taking applications.  This would basically require you to gather various Old calendar and New calendar feasts, events and occasions, and post them on the calendar making sure we are up-to-date.  I am thinking of making this a "senior board" type level position. Of course, PM me if you're interested.

Anyway, keep the comments and suggestions coming!

Bobby
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2003, 10:52:52 PM »

Just FYI, there IS an ignore function.  If you "view" the profile of the person you wish to ignore, there should be a checkbox marked "MUTE USER." By clicking this, you will not be able to see their posts or PMs.

Bobby, couldn't find the "mute user" checkbox you're referring to.  Please help.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2003, 10:54:27 PM »

Hmm, I'll have to check. I have it on my admin menu. If not this release, I know it's definitely in the next release, because I'm testing it out on my server. Give me a few.

Bobby
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2003, 10:58:10 PM »

very groovy!
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2003, 10:58:59 PM »

My apologies, in this release of OC.net, the MUTE function isn't allowed for users. But I can assure you that the next release will have it, and that should be coming down the pike very soon. Early January

Bobby
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2003, 11:22:46 PM »

funky!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2003, 11:28:43 PM »

Why would anyone want an "ignore" or "mute user" function?

Who posts here who is so bad he or she needs to be totally ignored?

I usually don't read excessively lengthy posts, but I have never used an ignore function on anyone, even some of the rabid Fundamentalists I have encountered on other web sites.

If a member is sufficiently offensive, he or she will ultimately be taken to task by our admins and mods. They have been very good at that thus far.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2003, 12:40:58 AM »

linus: I have only used it in unmoderated forums where people were being to crass and vulgar it was necessary.  Sometimes it's just worth being able to threaten to use it.  (There have been times when it has been profitable to say that some one is on ignore and see what they are saying when they don't think you can see.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2003, 12:57:06 AM »

I can see it on an unmoderated web site, but not here.

If I don't want to see what someone has to say, I simply do not read what he or she writes.

There are one or two people here and there who are so long-winded, arrogant-sounding and pedantic that I avoid reading their posts. Honestly, I avoid them mostly because their posts are just too doggoned long! If I want to read a book, I'll read one by a competent author.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2003, 01:00:54 AM »

linus: are you saying I'm long winded??

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2003, 01:05:43 AM »

linus: are you saying I'm long winded??

No way! Brevity is the soul of your wit, my friend.

I've always enjoyed your posts, even the long ones, back at CF when you were inveighing against the Neo-Judaizers.  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2003, 01:08:15 AM »

linus: wanna know a secret - I rarely read the really long posts myself.  I get so bored half the time I forget what they were talking about to start with before I get to the end!!

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2003, 01:14:56 AM »

linus: wanna know a secret - I rarely read the really long posts myself.  I get so bored half the time I forget what they were talking about to start with before I get to the end!!

10-4!

I used to write a lot of those long-winded posts myself, back when I thought I would save the world through my apologetic genius.

When the mods at Christianity.com started deleting posts that I had worked over an hour on - posts that were not sufficiently Evangelical Protestant for them - that cured me of the desire to write more than a few lines.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2003, 01:21:45 AM »

linus: well I'm still convinced my  . . . . I mean even when I was similarly convinced, I kept it short and to the point, made for fewer misunderstandings.

Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2003, 08:22:07 AM »

If an "ignore" button becomes a standard feature of OCnet, I would also like the following features:
- some way of tracking and indicating who is on your "ignore" list
- without naming individuals, some way of indicating to the person who is being "ignored" that SOMEONE is ignoring their posts.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 08:41:33 AM »

<blinking> <blinking>

Ah have worked that out - I think Huh - good thinking - yes it is as well to be able to check as to whether the Ignored person is being wilfully ignored or is actually on an ignore list

Hope that makes sense   Tongue

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 09:03:07 AM »

I must admit that I don't find the concept of ignoring people very Christian, and I've never used a kill file in my 10 years or so on the net.

I would imagine that abuse would carry on as present only parties would be communicating through scraps of invective picked up in third party posts. It seems to me we would have people saying 'Tell so-and-so he's a such and such' instead of people saying 'You are a such and such'.

Not a massive step forward when what is required is greater self-control

PT

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 10:40:20 AM »

Hmmm - thought has just dawned

how about

a

SPELLCHECK

even though I suppose it would have to be American English Sad

- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2003, 11:12:37 AM »

Oh I know you could - but do you really think that Bobby would see that there was an English/British option for the few of us that are that way inclined ?

I suppose I can live in hope.

- St. John Maximovitch
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2003, 11:18:53 AM »

Is there such a thing as American English? Isn't that an oxymoron?

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2003, 02:19:30 PM »

Is it possible for me to ignore myself?
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2003, 02:19:33 PM »

Arg maties, a pirate dictionary there be!

I'z be seein abouts addin dis dere dictionary for ye laddies whos spellingz isnts so greatz.

peg leg bobby
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2003, 03:24:47 PM »

Hmmm - thought has just dawned

how about

a

SPELLCHECK

even though I suppose it would have to be American English Sad

As if there is any other form of english??  Grin

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2003, 03:26:25 PM »

we needs ta send sumbudy to the Ingland and splain things to them.

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2003, 04:17:58 PM »

:cwm41: :cwm41:

- St. John Maximovitch
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2004, 04:56:53 AM »

How about we fix the Member Map so we don't have people in the middle of the ocean or in Africa when they should be in Ohio.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: