OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 01:02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did They Hear A Voice?  (Read 1549 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« on: December 18, 2008, 08:32:55 PM »

From two accounts of the conversion experience of Paul:

"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man." - Acts 9:7

"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me." - Acts 22:9

So did they hear a voice, or not?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:33:19 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:56:29 PM »

When I was a practicing Muslim and Islamic apologist, this was one of the verses I used to "prove" that the Bible contradicts itself.  I hadn't thought about this until just now when I saw it and I'm really looking forward to hearing some thoughts on it.  Thanks for bringing this up A-man. Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:07:20 PM »

Hint, think back to the Transfiguration except that the men who accompanied Paul neither saw any figure nor heard any intelligible voice.  Only Paul knew that Christ spoke directly to him.  The others were needed to transport the blinded Paul to the "street called straight."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:19:54 PM »

Hint, think back to the Transfiguration except that the men who accompanied Paul neither saw any figure nor heard any intelligible voice.  Only Paul knew that Christ spoke directly to him.  The others were needed to transport the blinded Paul to the "street called straight."

I don't quite understand your hint, SolEX01. And according to Acts 9:7 they did hear a voice...?

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:38:23 PM »

"And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man." - Acts 9:7

"And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me." - Acts 22:9

Acts 9:7 says that they "heard" the voice.

Acts 22:9 says that they did not "understand" the voice.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:44:11 PM »

Where does Acts 22:9 say that? I don't see that in the text...

Nothing about understanding or not understanding, just about hearing.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 09:57:47 PM »

Where does Acts 22:9 say that? I don't see that in the text...

Nothing about understanding or not understanding, just about hearing.

οἱ δὲ σὺν ἐμοὶ ὄντες τὸ μὲν φῶς ἐθεάσαντο τὴν δὲ φωνὴν οὐκ ἤκουσαν τοῦ λαλοῦντός μοι.

It is so translated in the EOB, "understand."
http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/download/nt8x10.pdf
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:59:03 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »

Well, not knowing Greek, I'll have to take your word for it.

EDIT--And now that I look, I see that other translations like the NIV also use the word understand.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 10:05:18 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 11:08:44 PM »

+ Irini nem ehmot,

One explanation I've heard is that the men who were with Paul heard Paul speaking to someone, but they did not hear Christ speaking to Paul, and so were confused.  So the voice they heard was that of Paul's and not Christ's.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »

I don't quite understand your hint, SolEX01. And according to Acts 9:7 they did hear a voice...?

I'm sorry if I confused you and I'm sorry if my explanation failed to help you.

May God Bless You.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 05:31:34 AM »

Those men journeying with Paul heard A voice, but not THE voice of the One who spoke TO Paul. In Acts 22 Paul relates the story of his conversion before Agrippa in the most detailed form and lays emphasis on the fact Jesus' speech was made known to him alone as the other men were kept out of the personal revelation. Thus, the men heard something similar to a voice, but did not know what it was or who it came from.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 09:00:27 PM »

I'm sorry if I confused you and I'm sorry if my explanation failed to help you.

I admit that it was my fault. When I look now at what you typed, it makes sense to me. I had my mind set in a certain pattern and was having a problem breaking from it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 09:01:29 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 09:50:33 PM »

I admit that it was my fault. When I look now at what you typed, it makes sense to me. I had my mind set in a certain pattern and was having a problem breaking from it.

Nothing is wrong with routine.  Patterns are harder to break.   Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 09:43:40 PM »

Ok, time to revisit this topic. I'm reading the book Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists by Dan Barker, and he devotes an entire chapter to this seeming discrepancy. He deals with two arguments that attempt to demonstrate the two verses in question do not contradict, and one of the arguments that he covers is that Acts 22:9 is supposed to use the word "understand". Here's some of what he has to say on pages 243-246):

The word acoustic comes from the Greek word akouo, meaning "to hear"... Both Acts 9:7 and Acts 22:9 use that word. Akouo does not mean "understand". New Testament Greek possesses other words for "understand."  The main one is suniemi, which is "to understand in the sense of putting things together"...

The Greek in Acts 22:9 is: ten de phonen ouk ekousan. ("The voice they did not hear." Ekousan is aorist [past tense] of akouo, 3rd person plural). The KJV and the new Revised Standard Version (NRSV) say that the men did not "hear" the voice, but the NIV and Living Bible (LB, a paraphrase, not a translation), both produced by evangelicals, say that the men did not "understand" the voice, removing the appearance of a contradiction...

There is nothing in Acts 22:9--nothing grammatical, contextual, or explicit--to indicated that akouo should be translated anything other than "hear"...

If Luke had wanted Acts 22:9 to mean "not understand," he should have said so, either explicitly (with suniemi or some other verb for understand) or contextually. If he had wanted to contrast the two meanings, why didn't he follow the New Testament practice of pairing akouo and suniemi?

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:45:21 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:01:32 AM »

Indeed, that's strange. Still, the rest event is presented completely accurately the second time (both passages in context).
Funny. People concetrate on whether the men heard the voice or not and do not see that at least Paul did hear it. Seems far more important to me. Anyway, I'm gonna contribute my two cents, although I don't see this as a "major contradiction that debunks the Bible" or something.

Acts 9:7
And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one.

Acts 22:9
And those who were with me indeed saw the light and were afraid, but they did not hear the voice of Him who spoke to me.

Did the men hear a voice? Some random sound that close to a voice?
Did Paul hear the? A voice that was clearly speaking to him?
That might be the difference. If they could hear the voice clearly, wouldn't they also fall on their knees and confess?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:01:47 AM by GammaRay » Logged

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 07:34:45 AM »

We can hear a voice but not make out what it is saying.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 12:33:58 PM »

St. John Chrysostom seems to indicate the the voice the men heard was that of Paul, i.e. they heard Paul's voice, but saw no one he was conversing with.  Therefore in the second part, where Paul says "they didn't hear THE voice," this voice was Christ, not Paul as in the previous part.

Sources:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf111.vi.xix.html
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf111.vi.xlvii.html

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »

Ok, time to revisit this topic. I'm reading the book Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists by Dan Barker, and he devotes an entire chapter to this seeming discrepancy. He deals with two arguments that attempt to demonstrate the two verses in question do not contradict, and one of the arguments that he covers is that Acts 22:9 is supposed to use the word "understand". Here's some of what he has to say on pages 243-246):

The word acoustic comes from the Greek word akouo, meaning "to hear"... Both Acts 9:7 and Acts 22:9 use that word. Akouo does not mean "understand". New Testament Greek possesses other words for "understand."  The main one is suniemi, which is "to understand in the sense of putting things together"...

The Greek in Acts 22:9 is: ten de phonen ouk ekousan. ("The voice they did not hear." Ekousan is aorist [past tense] of akouo, 3rd person plural). The KJV and the new Revised Standard Version (NRSV) say that the men did not "hear" the voice, but the NIV and Living Bible (LB, a paraphrase, not a translation), both produced by evangelicals, say that the men did not "understand" the voice, removing the appearance of a contradiction...

There is nothing in Acts 22:9--nothing grammatical, contextual, or explicit--to indicated that akouo should be translated anything other than "hear"...

If Luke had wanted Acts 22:9 to mean "not understand," he should have said so, either explicitly (with suniemi or some other verb for understand) or contextually. If he had wanted to contrast the two meanings, why didn't he follow the New Testament practice of pairing akouo and suniemi?

Any thoughts?

On matters of theology, it's not a good idea to listen to Protestants no matter how much you like/love them (and there are some whom I really genuinely love).  Same thing (or maybe especially) with atheists.  These folks can and are truly sincere, but they're also sincerely wrong.  So my thoughts would be to become well versed in how the Eastern Orthodox understand these things. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tags: St. Paul Acts of the Apostles Scripture New Testament 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: