OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 07:56:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite Orthodoxy?  (Read 1812 times) Average Rating: 0
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« on: October 20, 2009, 10:30:46 AM »

What is the Western Orthodoxy Rite under the Antiochian Archdiocese?  Is it just a slightly different liturgy?  I saw somewhere that they use the "book of common prayer".  Doesn't the book of common prayer belong to the Angelican church?  Thanks!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:23:48 AM »

The quick simple answer to your questions is that Western Rite Orthodoxy are those who are Orthodox in Theology but desire a western form of expression. There are two forms of Western Rite in the Antiochian Archdiocese; the St. Gregory style and the St. Tikhon style. Those following the St. Gregory style use the pre-vatican II Mass of St. Gregory and those using the St. Tikhon style use a modified version of the Anglican Liturgy that St. Tikhon is credited for having "Orthodoxized" it.

We have an entire forum dedicated to all the issues that arise and get into more details.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/board,35.0.html

Joseph
seabeau

Faith: Orthodox (Western Rite)
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:38:03 PM »

Our theology is completely Eastern Orthodox. Our liturgy is completely western. We do not use the Book of Common Prayer. We use the St. Andrew’s service book.
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 02:16:18 PM »

"Orthodoxized"

Consider that term stolen my friend.  Wink

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »

There are also Western Rite parishes within ROCOR; in western Europe the Western Rite is under the EP's Russian exarchate.   As said, they are Orthodox Christians celebrating with Liturgies that are wholly in accord with Orthodoxy and most of which were actually approved forms of the Liturgy of the Church before the Great Schism and of use in the West (I believe ROCOR western rite parishes celebrate with the ancient Sarum rite and others as well).  Orthodoxy is not just eastern, it is catholic, according to the whole of the Church in all its expressions from the time of the Apostles. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:43:10 PM »

WR Orthodox under the EP? Where?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »

Our theology is completely Eastern Orthodox. Our liturgy is completely western. We do not use the Book of Common Prayer. We use the St. Andrew’s service book.

When I was visiting the website of St. Michael Orthodox Church I found a link to this website which appears as an Orthodox website and it is selling the common book of prayer.  From the commentary it seems that this book is tailored to Orthodoxy  This isn't a big deal to me, I was just curious if this book is common in Orthodoxy or the Western Rite of Orthodoxy? 

http://www.andrewespress.com/bcp.html
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »

The Antiochian Orthodox Archcdiocese of North America has one of the largest grouping of Western Rite Orthodox in the United States (, they have published a Western Rite Prayerbook available from their Archdiocese Bookstore for $25.
The various other presses affiliated and not affiliated with the AOCNA Western Rite Vicariate have produced other devotional aids and eprsonal prayer books.  For the AOCNA Western Rite the Western Rite Paryerbook is considered the Orthodox standrd for Western Rite coporate worship in the Archdiocese.

Other Jurisdictions have set Rites that they use that are of equal Western Rite practice.

BTW there is a Western Rite Presentation being done on November 14 in Maryland, you may find the information flyer at this website location http://www.antiochian.org/node/20869

In Christ,
Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:46 AM »

That presentation is actually in Maryland Heights, MISSOURI Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »

Why aren't Western Rite Orthodox approaching TAC and other conservative Anglicans? Just curious.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:53:03 PM »

Why aren't Western Rite Orthodox approaching TAC and other conservative Anglicans? Just curious.

Too small still, plus they are still controversial according to some.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
seabeau

Faith: Orthodox (Western Rite)

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 05:56:05 PM »

Speaking very generally:
Liturgically conservative Anglicans are often socially liberal. They feel constrained in “conservative thinking” Orthodoxy.

The “bible” style Anglicans are usually the most socially conservative, however, they are usually uncomfortable with traditional liturgical practices.

In my opinion, Roman Catholics who are dissatisfied with the modern liturgy have an easier time becoming Western Rite Orthodox. High/low Church Anglicans are dressed up Protestants; they struggle with the real presence of Christ in Communion.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »

Because TAC has stated that they believe in the Catholic faith. Two years ago they signed a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and have requested full union with the Catholic Church.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:16:45 PM »

Yes, WRO believe Eastern Orthodox doctrine.

Most WRO are Antiochians who are former Anglicans - those conservative Anglicans who want to be Orthodox already are coming in: both these and the ones who become Byzantine Rite - which is why they use Anglican-based services.

I slightly know online somebody who worked on the Antiochian BCP, which is still an unofficial book but compiles the Anglican-based services WRO use, which are based mostly on the Episcopal 1928 BCP with the Mass based on the American Missal, a quasi-official book many Anglo-Catholic Episcopalians have used. It's the 1928 Communion service fitted into the structure of the pre-Vatican II Roman Mass.

seabeau, that's often true of liturgically conservative Anglicans but these can be orthodox in doctrine as well as liberal.

What's stopping a lot of Anglicans converting isn't the Real Presence - many Episcopalians are sound on that - but a very different view of the church that is Protestant. Roman Catholics and Orthodox believe in an infallible church; Protestants, even liturgical, sacramental, episcopal ones, don't.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: