OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 04:35:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Guide to Church Etiquette (A Helpful Guide for those New to Orthodoxy)  (Read 7513 times) Average Rating: 0
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 06:27:23 PM »

I wish this was in the brochure.

VISITORS--All “regular” members of the parish should introduce themselves, talk to all visitors after DL, and make them feel very welcome.  All visitors should be warmly encouraged to return to worship with the parish.

OCCASIONALLY ATTENDING MEMBERS--All “regular” members should make an effort to hug C & P members (Christmas and Pascha only attenders) and lovingly tell them that their presence has been missed.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 06:47:15 PM »

I was told not to cross myself, but, to bow.  The bow, I believe, is to acknowledge and thank the priest and his acknowledgment of your status as a living icon.

Not crossing oneself before bowing to a priest, bishop or monk is to make a sharp designation between holy things (the cross, iconography, the Holy Scriptures, relics) and persons.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 06:56:25 PM »

Wow.  Interesting.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2009, 07:02:56 PM »

I know that some Christians within the Oriental Orthodox communion kneel (prostrate) on Sundays.  Some Ethiopians come in and prostrate before and after services every week.  Should my priest run out from behind the iconostasis and pull them to their feet?
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2009, 07:47:38 PM »

I really feel like it is a good brochure from Conciliar Press. It seems a little stern, but sometimes sternness is necessary. As others have previously stated, some legitimate Orthodox traditions are not being practiced and are being glossed over. I will certainly share this with my priest. Thanks for sharing!

In Christ,
Andrew

As an aside, my apologies if my previous post in any way contributed to an attack against username! I did not mean for it to be taken as such.

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Michael L
Priest Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »

Archpriest Victor Potapov On Pious Behavior in Church
http://www.stjohndc.org/Russian/what/e_Church-Behavior.htm

Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »

I was told not to cross myself, but, to bow.  The bow, I believe, is to acknowledge and thank the priest and his acknowledgment of your status as a living icon.

Not crossing oneself before bowing to a priest, bishop or monk is to make a sharp designation between holy things (the cross, iconography, the Holy Scriptures, relics) and persons.

Ah-ha-ha-ha. Ha.  I crossed myself last weekend before bowing to the Abbott of a monastery when asking for his blessing.  He set me straight!  (Good naturedly).  He said he allows mistakes in catechumens (thank God). 

Also, a comment about Concilliar Press -- while "cradle" Orthodox might think of what they put out as "Orthodoxy lite" (I've seen this on the Internet), they ARE a big part of the many converts that the Church is seeing.  Reading Becoming Orthodox had a profound affect on our family's life, and for that we are thankful. 

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2009, 12:06:45 AM »

I was just informed that the wife of my priest wrote this pamphlet.  Now that I think about it, it does sound like her and that can be pretty direct and even abrasive at times.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2009, 02:11:55 AM »

I heard once that is is common for people to greet each other with a kiss (on the cheek) when going up to receive communion. I've never seen it done in our parish, though. Can anyone vouch for this practice?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2009, 02:14:31 AM »

Ah-ha-ha-ha. Ha.  I crossed myself last weekend before bowing to the Abbott of a monastery when asking for his blessing.  He set me straight!  (Good naturedly).  He said he allows mistakes in catechumens (thank God). 

Well I'd certainly hope that he would! Catechumens by nature are bound to make mistakes and misunderstand things.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2009, 04:10:21 AM »

Actually, not crossing oneself before clergy is because when they bless you, they are "drawing" the Cross on you. No need to draw the Cross twice.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2009, 04:11:46 AM »

VISITORS--All “regular” members of the parish should introduce themselves, talk to all visitors after DL, and make them feel very welcome.  All visitors should be warmly encouraged to return to worship with the parish.

OCCASIONALLY ATTENDING MEMBERS--All “regular” members should make an effort to hug C & P members (Christmas and Pascha only attenders) and lovingly tell them that their presence has been missed.

Some people might get turned off by such upfront activity. Typically, when I visit a new parish I like to hang back for the first few services, at least until I get to know people.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »

I'm coming late to this thread because I was away, but here's my tuppence worth:

The guide says clearly, right at the beginning, that it's designed to help people, not to arbitrate.

I found it helpful. I'm totally new to Orthodox worship, and while you can learn from watching the others and doing what they do, you can hardly tap them on the shoulder and say, 'ah, nice prostrations - tell me, while the choir gets going, why exactly you're doing those?' If you learn religion from the cradle, your parents and family will be much more accepting of childish questions. I found the guide helpful.

But as for cradle Orthodox finding it insulting - well, they may, but surely if you were a cradle Orthodox, you should feel secure enough in your own worship not to be worried about what a manual (which you don't need) is saying?

Also, for what it's worth, it looks to me as if being cradle Orthodox doesn't necessarily mean you can fit in with any service in any church. I noticed my partner was struggling to sing the Nicene Creed last Sunday, because it was in English and he didn't learn the English version until recently. I wouldn't say it bothered him hugely, but obviously it slightly affected his ability to participate in the service. So being cradle Orthodox doesn't give you all the answers, and if I tried to learn from him, I'd have the same problems he has with our English services.

Just my thoughts, anyway ....

I was grateful for the link, Maureen.
Thankful
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »

I heard once that is is common for people to greet each other with a kiss (on the cheek) when going up to receive communion. I've never seen it done in our parish, though. Can anyone vouch for this practice?

We greet others with a kiss (on each cheek) a little bit before getting to the point of the faithful going forward for the Eucharist (there's a point where the liturgy says something about greeting each other).  So people kiss those around them, then return to where they were standing as the liturgy continues.  Is this what you mean? 

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2009, 05:30:36 PM »

I'm coming late to this thread because I was away, but here's my tuppence worth:

The guide says clearly, right at the beginning, that it's designed to help people, not to arbitrate.

I found it helpful. I'm totally new to Orthodox worship, and while you can learn from watching the others and doing what they do, you can hardly tap them on the shoulder and say, 'ah, nice prostrations - tell me, while the choir gets going, why exactly you're doing those?' If you learn religion from the cradle, your parents and family will be much more accepting of childish questions. I found the guide helpful.

LOL the part about the prostrations made me giggle. Smiley

I'm glad you found it helpful.

So being cradle Orthodox doesn't give you all the answers, and if I tried to learn from him, I'd have the same problems he has with our English services.

Amen!

I was grateful for the link, Maureen.

Glad to be of service!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2009, 05:56:44 PM »

Some people might get turned off by such upfront activity. Typically, when I visit a new parish I like to hang back for the first few services, at least until I get to know people.
If you come to my church, the Band of Babushkas WILL find you.  After your post, we are going to specifically look for you!  Prepare to get hugged.  laugh
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »

If you come to my church, the Band of Babushkas WILL find you.  After your post, we are going to specifically look for you!  Prepare to get hugged.  laugh

Haha....I will be like a ninja...

Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 12:41:30 AM »

Maureen a "cradle" Orthodox Christian

Yes but has your family been Orthodox for over "1020 years"?

If not then your beliefs and practices are all suspect.  Roll Eyes

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2009, 01:27:52 AM »

Archpriest Victor Potapov On Pious Behavior in Church
http://www.stjohndc.org/Russian/what/e_Church-Behavior.htm

I wonder if others think that this "brochure" is as offensive and harsh as the one that set off this whole debate.  They both seem to say the same thing and really not in different tones.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: proper behavior 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: