OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 03:10:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Brothers Karamozov  (Read 1406 times) Average Rating: 0
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« on: December 05, 2003, 06:45:36 PM »

I used to read nothing but fiction, now I read nothing but spiritual/theological texts.

I have never read Dostoevsky, and references continually pop up in all the reading I'm doing these days.

Thought I'd take a break (sort of) and read this...

Does anyone have any strong suggestions about which translation to get (or to avoid?)

Anyone have any suggestions as to a theological or spiritual companion text?

Much appreciated!

Amie

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2003, 07:15:05 PM »

If you want to read The Brothers Karamazov I think the Signet Classics version is good. If you're thinking of reading Demons(also know as The Posessed) you should definately get a newer translation done by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, put out by Vintage.

As far as companions to The Brothers Karamazov, I'm not really sure. You might want to check out a book called The Gospel in Dostoevsky. It's mostly excerpts from his books that relate to the Gospel. There is very little commentary, but the book makes a good resource.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 07:15:34 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 08:03:49 PM »

If you're a cheap Ukrainian like me, check out the following link for a free e-book:

http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=3132
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 11:08:48 PM »

If you are going to read Dostoyevsky, I recommend Crime and Punishment first.

Don't get me wrong, I loved The Brothers Karamazov, but to me Crime and Punishment was incredible. I was trembling when I finished it. What a tremendous literary achievement!

Anyway, you can't really go wrong with Dostoyevsky.  Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Strobert
Strobert

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 12:05:14 AM »

I wish I could say I have completed The Brothers Karamazov, but I haven't.  However, a few years ago there was some very good reviews of a translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, a Vintage Clasics Book from Vintage Books, Random House.

St Rupert (Robert) of Salzburg, pray to God for us.
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 03:14:14 PM »

I've heard everybody say you should go with Pevear & Volokhonsky.  I'm reading their translation of The Idiot right now and it's great.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 03:34:48 PM »

I have only read one translation of BK, and I don't know Russian, so I couldn't compare it to the original, but the one we read for class and which I enjoyed was the Constance Garnett translation revised by Ralph E. Matlaw published by W.W. Norton & Company.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 01:07:26 PM »

I asked, and I received...

Thanks!

a

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: