OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should parents still wash kids' mouths out with soap?
Yes - 10 (23.8%)
No - 16 (38.1%)
Only if it was for major disrespect - 11 (26.2%)
Never and parents who do should go to to jail - 5 (11.9%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should parents still wash kids' mouths out with soap?  (Read 19262 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010, 07:23:12 PM »

"Never and parents who do should go to to jail"
Parents need to be given the proper tools to raise their children. And no, I don't mean anything abusive or harmful.

I agree that parents do not provide enough discipline for their children these days. But I also think that washing a kid's mouth out with soap is an abusive form of discipline. It's not like there aren't possibilities in between these two.
Which was my point exactly. I hope you don't think I meant anything else.

Oh, hmmm. Right. I just assumed you were contradicting me for some reason.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »

Parents need to be given the proper tools to raise their children. And no, I don't mean anything abusive or harmful.
I agree that parents do not provide enough discipline for their children these days. But I also think that washing a kid's mouth out with soap is an abusive form of discipline. It's not like there aren't possibilities in between these two.

My earlier comment was simply intended to point out that society is often too quick to jump on the "abuse wagon" when it comes to children. Many well-meaning parents really do live in fear of the authorities. There is sadly some justification for their fear. While I hope you didn't mean it that way, your comment "parents who do should go to jail" came across to me as being too quick to condemn a parent who is trying his best. I guess I'm somewhat sensitive on the point, having seen too many parents - and their kids - who have suffered because others perceived a situation to be abusive though it was clearly not the case when viewed in the correct context. We must help parents be good parents. On that, I'm sure we agree.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »

I retired from elementary school teaching a couple of years early in part because I was tired of dealing with kids whose parents were scared to death of disciplining their own kids, or allowing anyone else to do the job. I will say, of course, that it was always a delight to work with kids and their parents who had an effective parent-child relationship in which the lines of authority were clear. I saw too many examples of parents who were afraid that they would go to jail, or lose their kids at the least, because of a strong element of "do-gooder" social work that seems to believe that any and all parents are vicious monsters who can't be trusted with their own children. It's really very sad to see how homes have been disrupted by well-meaning parents who feel threatened like that.

I just can't possibly concieve of how its abusive. Its uncomfortable yes, but all punishments are.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2010, 09:25:10 PM »

My earlier comment was simply intended to point out that society is often too quick to jump on the "abuse wagon" when it comes to children. Many well-meaning parents really do live in fear of the authorities. There is sadly some justification for their fear. While I hope you didn't mean it that way, your comment "parents who do should go to jail" came across to me as being too quick to condemn a parent who is trying his best. I guess I'm somewhat sensitive on the point, having seen too many parents - and their kids - who have suffered because others perceived a situation to be abusive though it was clearly not the case when viewed in the correct context. We must help parents be good parents. On that, I'm sure we agree.

That's exactly what I believe, though. I think washing a kid's mouth out with soap is an extreme and abusive form of discipline that should be punished with jail time.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »

I retired from elementary school teaching a couple of years early in part because I was tired of dealing with kids whose parents were scared to death of disciplining their own kids, or allowing anyone else to do the job. I will say, of course, that it was always a delight to work with kids and their parents who had an effective parent-child relationship in which the lines of authority were clear. I saw too many examples of parents who were afraid that they would go to jail, or lose their kids at the least, because of a strong element of "do-gooder" social work that seems to believe that any and all parents are vicious monsters who can't be trusted with their own children. It's really very sad to see how homes have been disrupted by well-meaning parents who feel threatened like that.

I just can't possibly concieve of how its abusive. Its uncomfortable yes, but all punishments are.

It's demeaning.

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »

That's exactly what I believe, though. I think washing a kid's mouth out with soap is an extreme and abusive form of discipline that should be punished with jail time.
That's where we disagree. I believe you're swatting a fly with a sledge hammer. The punishment goes far beyond the offence (I won't use the word "crime" in this context). A drop or two of liquid soap, or a swipe across the mouth with a bar is unpleasant but not harmful to the child. This of course presumes that the child has acted wilfully and defiantly. Action must be taken. You may consider this method of correction to be inappropriate, but "extreme and abusive"?

Fortunately, my own two children, now adults, responded to earlier training and the use of foul language or defiant backtalk was never an issue.

It's the fear of accusations like yours that keeps parents from taking firm action where required. Would you charge a parent who has sent his child to his room with "unlawful confinement"?
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »

This is a very healthy practice, I rather put the bar of soap on my children's mouths, than send them to "counceling" and "therapies" where they will be brainwashed with the heresies contained in psychology and psychiatry.

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2010, 10:18:10 PM »

It's demeaning.

It's also pretty easy to avoid. I don't think any parent would do it without lots of warning.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2010, 11:42:47 PM »

This is a very healthy practice, I rather put the bar of soap on my children's mouths, than send them to "counceling" and "therapies" where they will be brainwashed with the heresies contained in psychology and psychiatry.

Well that settles it, everyone. IPC endorsed it, so now we all know there's something wrong with it.  Wink

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2010, 01:24:11 AM »

It's the fear of accusations like yours that keeps parents from taking firm action where required.

There are plenty of more appropriate consequences that could be developed other than this. It seems obviously unreasonable and unloving to me.

Would you charge a parent who has sent his child to his room with "unlawful confinement"?

No. And I don't see how one could reasonably compare a time-out to washing a kid's mouth with soap.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2010, 01:25:04 AM »

What sorts of heresies are you talking about?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2010, 01:25:57 AM »

It's demeaning.

It's also pretty easy to avoid. I don't think any parent would do it without lots of warning.

It's a parent's obligation to find consequences for their child that aren't demeaning.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:26:11 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 01:38:15 AM »

It's demeaning.

It's a parent's obligation to find consequences for their child that aren't demeaning.

And after soap in the mouth what's next?? It's not demeaning at all. I don't know how you even get that conclusion. Children who use proper language and observe the boundaries set forth for them will never even have this happen. Decisions have consequences. If a child gets soap once or a belt a few times, its not the end of the world and the child will be better for it, if the parent handles it properly.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 01:56:44 AM »

It's demeaning.

And after soap in the mouth what's next?? It's not demeaning at all. I don't know how you even get that conclusion. Children who use proper language and observe the boundaries set forth for them will never even have this happen. Decisions have consequences. If a child gets soap once or a belt a few times, its not the end of the world and the child will be better for it, if the parent handles it properly.

I find your view sickening.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 02:06:07 AM »

It's demeaning.

What I find sickening is seeing children, teenagers, and young adults who have no concept of discipline, decorum, or common decency.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2010, 02:10:41 AM »

It's demeaning.

What I find sickening is seeing children, teenagers, and young adults who have no concept of discipline, decorum, or common decency.

Yes, and counteracting this does not require beating them with a belt or washing their mouths out with soap. Does no one have a concept of the Middle Way here?

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2010, 02:14:09 AM »

Yes, and counteracting this does not require beating them with a belt or washing their mouths out with soap. Does no one have a concept of the Middle Way here?

You seem to think that the belt or soap was the first stop in punishment. It wasn't. As I noted above, both punishments were preceded with several warnings and I was well aware at the time that the punishment was earned, it was not done out of malice but out of love.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2010, 02:15:50 AM »

You seem to think that the belt or soap was the first stop in punishment. It wasn't. As I noted above, both punishments were preceded with several warnings and I was well aware at the time that the punishment was earned, it was not done out of malice but out of love.

I honestly don't believe that it is possible for either act to be purely loving.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2010, 02:24:06 AM »

I honestly don't believe that it is possible for either act to be purely loving.

Well I'm beginning to wonder what you think IS a loving punishment...

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2010, 02:49:47 AM »

Well I'm beginning to wonder what you think IS a loving punishment...

There are various correctional methods related to taking away the material things that kids want, for one thing.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2010, 02:52:18 AM »

There are various correctional methods related to taking away the material things that kids want, for one thing.

Yes, that often works well in conjunction with beating the crap out of them.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2010, 03:00:13 AM »

Yes, that often works well in conjunction with beating the crap out of them.

I'm not saying beating kids doesn't work.

I'm just saying regardless of that matter it is unloving and immoral.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2010, 03:08:03 AM »

Proverbs 13:24 anyone??

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2010, 03:14:10 AM »

It's demeaning.

I had my mouth washed out with soap once by the most loving, caring, wonderful mother a child could ask for. I certainly deserved it- but all I kept thinking was, "this doesn't make any sense"- meaning, this doesn't reflect my mother's character. She felt uncomfortable about it, and I felt confused and alone.

All that aside- any good parent, who has raised their children correctly and without harsh punishments, will not have children with the characteristics you describe. The only circumstances under which I would wash my kid's mouth out with soap is if he started to turn into a boring, mindless, automaton, more concerned with society's standards of "decency" than with cultivating his genuine self. I hope to have punk rock children with a sense of morality that goes beyond "decorum".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:15:27 AM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2010, 03:27:58 AM »

You, of all people, who was arguing that the Old Testament was incorrect, are arguing to me on the basis of a Proverbs passage?  Huh

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2010, 03:33:53 AM »

I had my mouth washed out with soap once by the most loving, caring, wonderful mother a child could ask for. I certainly deserved it- but all I kept thinking was, "this doesn't make any sense"- meaning, this doesn't reflect my mother's character. She felt uncomfortable about it, and I felt confused and alone.

Well I never said parents should like punishing children, did I?? Even for me, that's sadistic and twisted.

All that aside- any good parent, who has raised their children correctly and without harsh punishments, will not have children with the characteristics you describe.

I certainly don't consider the punishments described to be harsh.

The only circumstances under which I would wash my kid's mouth out with soap is if he started to turn into a boring, mindless, automaton, more concerned with society's standards of "decency" than with cultivating his genuine self.

Have you worked retail at all in the last decade or so??

I hope to have punk rock children with a sense of morality that goes beyond "decorum".

I'm all for personal expression, as long as it comes with respect for others (especially elders) as well as manners and courtesy.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2010, 03:34:37 AM »

You, of all people, who was arguing that the Old Testament was incorrect, are arguing to me on the basis of a Proverbs passage?  Huh

I argued that the OT was inaccurate on its portrayal of God....I didn't say anything about Proverbs.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2010, 03:35:44 AM »

I argued that the OT was inaccurate on its portrayal of God....I didn't say anything about Proverbs.

Why not?  Take what you like; leave what you don't.  Sounds like my kind of religion!
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2010, 03:47:51 AM »

Why not?  Take what you like; leave what you don't.  Sounds like my kind of religion!

Actually there is a distinction be made here, that you either can't see or are just being difficult. My issue with the OT is that it was written before the Incarnation and as a result can not be expected to accurately portray God, as the Lord clearly said that no one could come to the Father except through Him. We are not speaking of God in Proverbs 13:24, we are speaking of morality. I am not claiming that this verse is applicable to every situation nor that a parent should beat a child mercilessly. It could very well be that this verse is totally off base. But it does say something and it is important to have it in the conversation, just as it is important to have OT interpretations of the God in a relevant discussion. It may be incorrect and incomplete, but at least its there.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2010, 04:31:28 AM »

Proverbs is part of the OT.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2010, 04:34:06 AM »

It may be incorrect and incomplete, but at least its there.

Such reverence for the Holy Scriptures!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »

We are not speaking of God in Proverbs 13:24, we are speaking of morality.

If the OT's depiction of God was deficient than probably so was it's depiction of God's morality.

It could very well be that this verse is totally off base.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were prooftexting or something like that.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2010, 05:07:39 AM »

Such reverence for the Holy Scriptures!

I kiss the Holy Gospel every Divine Liturgy. I don't recall ever venerating the Old Testament at Church. And that doesn't mean that the Old Testament isn't part of of the Holy Scriptures. But there is nothing that requires us to believe in a literal story of Jonah inside a whale for three days, and there is a whole lot that requires us to believe that God the Son became Incarnate, died on the Cross, and rose on the Third Day....

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »

Please describe for us your version of "the Middle Way", and illustrate with examples from your experience in raising children.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2010, 11:25:37 AM »

It's demeaning.
All punishment is demeaning. It teaches us humility.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:40 AM »

It's demeaning.

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »

It's demeaning.
All punishment is demeaning. It teaches us humility.

I'm inclined to think that forcing demeaning things upon people is inherently sinful.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2010, 06:16:37 PM »

Please describe for us your version of "the Middle Way", and illustrate with examples from your experience in raising children.

Why would such a thing be necessary?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2010, 08:25:40 PM »

Because you implied that there's such thing as a "Middle Way"?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »

I was referring to the second part. Having an idea of a Middle Way of parenting between, essentially physical abuse, and nothing, shouldn't require experience with raising children.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2010, 10:17:02 PM »

I was referring to the second part. Having an idea of a Middle Way of parenting between, essentially physical abuse, and nothing, shouldn't require experience with raising children.

Soap in the mouth is physical abuse??  Shocked
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:18:20 PM by Ukiemeister » Logged

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:24 PM »

I'm looking for evidence that your version of a "Middle Way" (which you still haven't described) is a successful method of parenting. Theories are not evidence.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »

But you didn't answer my question that was necessary to qualify the rightfulness of your question.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »

But you didn't answer my question that was necessary to qualify the rightfulness of your question.
Whose question?  I don't see genesisone asking you a question.  I am the one who asked you a question, and I meant it only to be rhetorical.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »

Whose question?  I don't see genesisone asking you a question.  I am the one who asked you a question, and I meant it only to be rhetorical.

"Please describe for us your version of "the Middle Way", and illustrate with examples from your experience in raising children."

Not a question, per say, but certainly a request for information, that could easily be phrased as a question.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: