OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 01:27:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom Book  (Read 3538 times) Average Rating: 0
bkovacs

Faith: Byzantine Christian

« on: October 13, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »

What service book for the Divine Liturgy of St John Chrysostom would you all recommend?.

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »

Whichever they use at your parish.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »

The Divine Liturgy according to St. John Chrysostom with Commentary and Biblical References by Theodore Bobosh--- Light and Life Publishing

It is great for new and old members!
bkovacs

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »

How is the one put out by Holy Cross Press. It apparently includes the Sunday readings as well.
http://store.holycrossbookstore.com/917651170.html

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »

NewByz has released a pdf of a complete Divine Liturgy for choirs and chanters. It's quite impressive (it's a big download, by the way).

http://www.newbyz.org/complete_liturgy_book.pdf

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 10:27:14 AM »

The Holy Cross Press service book, indicated in Reply #3 above, is most popularly used in GOAA parishes, from my experience in the Pittsburgh Metropolis.

I just wanted to mention by personal and sentimental favorite, because it was given to me as a gift by the presiding priest of the parish in which I graduated from Sunday School, on the occasion of my graduation, originally published in 1968 (Greek and English), black and red ink, w/some pictures; compiled by Fr. George L. Papadeas.  It includes a concise and thorough explanation of the Liturgy; a list of Dismissal Hymns; Hymns from the Liturgy with western notation; and a list of Epistle and Gospel periscopes.  It's comfortable to carry by hand. The English translation is traditional, but not Elizabethan English. Father George is best noted for the Holy Week Service Book, almost exclusively used in the GOAA.  He's among the Pomfret graduates of Holy Cross, maybe the first class if I'm not mistaken.  I think those Promfret grads were particularly well educated. He publishes under his own Patmos Press label and resides in Florida.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:28:42 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
bkovacs

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »

The Holy Cross Press service book, indicated in Reply #3 above, is most popularly used in GOAA parishes, from my experience in the Pittsburgh Metropolis.

I just wanted to mention by personal and sentimental favorite, because it was given to me as a gift by the presiding priest of the parish in which I graduated from Sunday School, on the occasion of my graduation, originally published in 1968 (Greek and English), black and red ink, w/some pictures; compiled by Fr. George L. Papadeas.  It includes a concise and thorough explanation of the Liturgy; a list of Dismissal Hymns; Hymns from the Liturgy with western notation; and a list of Epistle and Gospel periscopes.  It's comfortable to carry by hand. The English translation is traditional, but not Elizabethan English. Father George is best noted for the Holy Week Service Book, almost exclusively used in the GOAA.  He's among the Pomfret graduates of Holy Cross, maybe the first class if I'm not mistaken.  I think those Promfret grads were particularly well educated. He publishes under his own Patmos Press label and resides in Florida.

Thanks!. I ordered a copy from Patmos Press. Seems like a good one to study and participate with.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: