OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 02:32:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marian Beliefs as Precondition to Baptism  (Read 1844 times) Average Rating: 0
Logan46

« on: October 13, 2009, 06:29:46 PM »

I am studying orthodoxy and accept the beliefs in the Nicene Creed, as I understand them.  Although not a Christian, I was raised in a Protestant home.  As such, some of the teachings regarding Mary, raise questions.  I accept the virgin birth and the concept of theotokos as it relates to the nature of Christ.

However, some of the church's other teachings such as Mary's sinlessness and her continued virginity, are problematical.  I don't deny then and I can accept them as logical and more than likely, but do I believe it absolutely to the point I would stake my soul on it, I'm not so certain.

My question is simple:  do I have to believe, with absolute certainty, of Mary's sinlessness and continued virginity, to be baptized orthodox?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »

I wasn't when I was chrismated.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »

Remembering back, I did have some issues I was still struggling with when I was a catechumen. I didn't really see it as a reason to not be received into the Church, and neither did the priest. What's more, I was chrismated 8 years ago, and I have more unresolved issues now than I had when I first became Orthodox. So if I had waited until I had absolutely no issues, I still wouldn't be Orthodox.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »

I wasn't really catechized at all before baptism. I thought I had read a great deal and had a few discussions with Orthodox laymen and a couple of priests, but now realize how little I truly knew. I'm not even sure if I knew about this doctrine of Mary's perpetual virginity. To tell the truth, I still have trouble believing it. I mean, to me it really doesn't matter one way or the other, but truthfully, I feel the implication is that human sexuality is somehow dirty and sinful, and I don't believe that. I believe that sexuality between marriage partners is pure and holy, so if Mary had relations with Joseph her husband, I wouldn't think that would make her any less holy in the slightest. But then, maybe I'm not getting something...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »

I'm not even sure if I knew about this doctrine of Mary's perpetual virginity. To tell the truth, I still have trouble believing it. I mean, to me it really doesn't matter one way or the other, but truthfully, I feel the implication is that human sexuality is somehow dirty and sinful, and I don't believe that. I believe that sexuality between marriage partners is pure and holy, so if Mary had relations with Joseph her husband, I wouldn't think that would make her any less holy in the slightest. But then, maybe I'm not getting something...

I don't think that this totally explains things, but here's one thing to consider. According to one tradition, Mary would have been around 12-13 years old when she became engaged, and Joseph was described as a widower and an old man. So the age difference between the two might have been 30+ years. In such a case, it would be understandable if the relationship between Joseph and Mary didn't exactly have a typical Husband-Wife dynamic.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:59:31 PM »

I am studying orthodoxy and accept the beliefs in the Nicene Creed, as I understand them.  Although not a Christian, I was raised in a Protestant home.  As such, some of the teachings regarding Mary, raise questions.  I accept the virgin birth and the concept of theotokos as it relates to the nature of Christ.

However, some of the church's other teachings such as Mary's sinlessness and her continued virginity, are problematical.  I don't deny then and I can accept them as logical and more than likely, but do I believe it absolutely to the point I would stake my soul on it, I'm not so certain.

My question is simple:  do I have to believe, with absolute certainty, of Mary's sinlessness and continued virginity, to be baptized orthodox?

Hi Logan,

I'd say, no, not necessarily. The Nicene Creed does not have in it any indication that St. Mary was an "ever-Virgin" (Greek "Aipartenos Marias"). Rather, the Creed says, "σαρκωθέντα εκ Πνεύματος ‘Αγίου καί Μαρίας τής Παρθένου," i.e. "He was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin (or Maiden) Mary."

Generally, I think, you do not really have to grasp all the "left-brain theology" to become an Orthodox. Much more importantly, you have to appreciate the beauty of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy, and to believe that when you are standing there during the DL, the heaven gets open and Christ Himself and the holy Angels are really, liteally, albeit invisibly, stading there, right there, near you, in millimeters from you, and caring for you, and sanctifying you.

Love never fails.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »

Grace and Peace,

As I understand it I will have to deny several Doctrines and Dogmas which are particularly Roman Catholic that a Protestant would never have to deny. That being said I think the process is different for individuals with differing backgrounds.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 01:20:09 AM »

Hi friend, and if I haven't welcomed you already- Welcome to the forum!  Smiley

When I converted and was baptised/chrismated back on October 9, 2004 (not that long ago), at the time I really didn't question the Church's understanding/teaching; I simply took her at face value.  Today? It's the same.  I'm comforted in the fact that I don't have to understand the how's and why's of every one of my conceivable questions.  Some teachings, such as a few you've brought up, are somewhat difficult to follow and/or understand.  But I think that if I were you, I would read up on the Church's teaching on our Holy Mother.  A great place to start would be The Truth Of Our Faith by Elder Cleopas of Romania.  In addition, if you haven't already, you'll probably tremendously benefit from speaking to a priest. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 01:26:24 AM »

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley

Sorry to be direct; that is ultimately up to you.  You can explore that more in cathechism class and/or with a Priest.  If you choose to rely on other sources related to the Virgin Mary, you are at their mercy.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 01:32:36 AM »

Welcome to the forum Logan!

This is often an obstacle for many Protestants who were received into the faith.  One thing to remember is that, unlike the Roman Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church does not go out of its way to dogmatize every matter of the faith.  The only two things that the Orthodox faith has dogmatized about Mary is that a) she is Theotokos, mother of God, not mother of Christ (this of course relates to Christology) and b) she was ever-virgin.  Since all we have to go on outside of Scripture is the Proto-Evangelion of James with regards to the Theotokos and her life, there are a lot of unanswered questions, most of which are unnecessary in the first place, imho.  For instance, with regards to the "sinlessness" of Mary, I think that this issue is brought up by Protestants so that she is removed from the list of the saints, even though none of the saints were without sin!  Some question whether it's appropriate to call her St. Mary!  But even the church fathers did not have a unanimous answer for this.  Even St. John Chrysostom remarked (can't remember the source off hand) that the Theotokos had some issues with pride, referencing the wedding at Cana and the miracle that happened there.  

With any saint, even the Theotokos and even with the Lord Himself, developing a relationship is a difficult matter.  ANd you may well have to give it time.  As long as you confess that Mary is the Theotokos, you won't have problems.  But I encourage you to start trying to develop a relationship with her. She is the icon of the saved.  She is the icon of obedience and humility to our Lord.  Aren't those qualities that we ourselves want as well? Of course.

Some have suggested reading.  I would recommend a very short pamphlet by St. JOHN Maximovitch entitled The Orthodox Veneration of Mary the Birthgiver of God.  There's also another short work called Mary: Worthy of All Praise which I don't know too much about nor can I recall the author, but I've heard it's good as well.

Best of luck.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 04:03:33 AM »

Hello Logan46

You're welcome to PM me for more information on the ever-virginity of the Mother of God.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 04:42:50 AM »

Quote from: scamandrius  I would recommend a very short pamphlet by St. JOHN Maximovitch entitled [i
The Orthodox Veneration of Mary the Birthgiver of God[/i]. 

A good suggestion and I see it is on one or two websites.

The Orthodox Veneration of Mary the Birthgiver of God

http://www.stmaryofegypt.org/library/st_john_maximovich/on_veneration_of_the_theotokos.htm
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 03:02:14 PM »

other teachings such as Mary's sinlessness and her continued virginity, are problematical.  I don't deny then and I can accept them as logical and more than likely, but do I believe it absolutely to the point I would stake my soul on it, I'm not so certain.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall that several of the definitions from the Ecumenical Councils refer to the Theotokos as Ever-Virgin. And even if I'm wrong about the Councils, it's certainly something we say repeatedly within the Liturgy. So yes, you do have to accept her ever-virginity on some level. However, it sounds like you are willing to do this--accepting it as 'logical' and 'well, it's the teaching of the Church and I have no reason to reject it so I'll accept it though I can't say it means much to me' is fine. It's where just about every ex-Protestant I know was at the time they were received.

On the other hand, 'the sinlessness of Mary' is not an actual teaching of the Church, so no you don't have to accept it. It's a fairly common opinion among modern Orthodox but
a) It's never been declared by an Ecumenical or other authoritative council.
b) It's not in the Tradition of the Fathers (when St. John Chrysostom and St. Basil the Great both publicly state that the Theotokos had sins and none of their contemporaries, not even the opponents who got St. John deposed and exiled, think this teaching is something to be disputed or criticized, we can be fairly certain that the opinion is a post-4th century development)
c) It's not what we pray in the liturgy. As first among the saved, the Theotokos has many, many superlatives applied to her. Compared to the rest of us, she is 'most-blessed', 'most-pure', 'most-immaculate.' But of Christ alone do we make the absolute statement 'O Only Sinless One'.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »

I could be wrong but I seem to recall that several of the definitions from the Ecumenical Councils refer to the Theotokos as Ever-Virgin.

Yep. Constantinople II (553) and Nicaea II (787) both affirm the ever-virginity. In particular, it's listed in the second anathema of Constantinople II. As a side note, Luther, Zwingli and Calvin all professed the ever-virginity of the Theotokos (they accepted that term).

Liturgically, there's a lot of language (following the Canon of St. Andrew of Crete) that speaks of the Theotokos as "without stain" or "spotless".
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:06:34 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 04:59:59 PM »

Well my 2 cents: In John 19:26 the Lord tells His mother to behold her son (the apostle John & not a biological son) and tells St. John to "behold thy mother" (John 19:27) who was not the apostles biological mother why would such statements be made if the Theotokos bore other children? Plus, I wonder why she would have resorted to carnal birthgiving after giving birth to God devoid of carnality? I also wonder if Revelation 12:14 might signify the importance of veneration to the Theotokos?

Antiochian OC N.A.
Logan46

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »

Thank you all for the helpful and thoughtful responses.  I am currently undergoing instruction and I could tell the priest was more than a little taken back by my questions on this matter--particularly on why belief in Mary's perpetual virginity was essential to the possibility of my salvation.  I'm attempting to be very honest with myself, so hopefully the fact that I don't reject it and am open to acceptance is sufficient.

The post that "the sinlessness of Mary" is not actual teaching of the Church was helpful as I could not reconcile that with my prior teachings that there was only one who lived as human without sin.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

particularly on why belief in Mary's perpetual virginity was essential to the possibility of my salvation. 

The Church doesn't really teach belief in Mary's perpetual virginity as 'essential to salvation'. The ecumenical texts (which pensateomnia kindly pointed out, and which, now that I'm not at work I can access) state:
Constantinople II
In addition to these we also anathematize the impious Epistle which Ibas is said to have 311written to Maris, the Persian, which denies that God the Word was incarnate of the holy Mother of God, and ever Virgin Mary, and accuses Cyril of holy memory, who taught the truth, as an heretic, and of the same sentiments with Apollinaris, and ...

Nicea II
With the Fathers of this synod (Ephesus) we confess that he who was incarnate of the immaculate Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary has two natures, recognizing him as perfect God and perfect man, as also the Council of Chalcedon hath promulgated...

In other words, the ever-virginity of the Theotokos isn't something that the Fathers are calling out as a specific doctrine that needs to be believed--rather, it's simply a fact that happens to get mentioned because they are speaking of Mary, and they are in the habit (from the liturgy) of using the full phrase 'holy Mother of God and ever-Virgin Mary'. IOW, it's kind of like when they start their statement by saying that they are gathered together 'for the second time at Nicea'. They weren't trying to say it was essential to anyone's salvation that that person believe the council was occuring in Nicea. They were just stating a fact.

And that's the sense in which I say that you have to accept the ever-virginity at some level--because you have to accept that the Fathers of the Councils knew what they were talking about or there's really not much of a point to becoming Orthodox. But you don't need to think of it in passionate, 'stake my soul' terms, anymore than you should be passionate about the fact that the seventh council was held being held for the second time in the city of Nicea. Just accept that people of respectable authority have said it is so and move on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:27:51 PM by witega » Logged

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 10:21:20 PM »

While it is not a condition that will stop you from being baptized, perhaps the below will help you understand why we believe in her perpetual virginity.

Scriptural Proof on the perpetual virginity of Mary:
“Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name JESUS.” Matthew 1:24-25

The use of the word “till” does not imply that Joseph had marital relations with Mary after the Savior’s birth. In the Bible, this word (sometimes translated “to”) is often used to express a situation that actually continues after the event mentioned (see Matt 28:20, Gen 8:7, Deut 34:6, 2 Sam 6:23.)

“While He was still talking to the multitudes, behold, His mother and brothers stood outside, seeking to speak with Him. Then one said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.” But He answered and said to the one who told Him, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?”  And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, “Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.” Matthew 12:46-50

In Jewish usage, brother can indicate any number of relations. Abram called his nephew Lot “brother" (Gen 14:14); Boaz spoke of his cousin Elimelech as his “brother” (Ruth 4:3), and Joab called his cousin Amasa “brother.” (2 Sam 20:9) Christ himself had no blood brothers, for Mary was her only son. The brothers mentioned here are either his stepbrothers, sons of Joseph from a previous marriage, or cousins. If these were indeed Christ’s blood brothers, we would not see him committing her to John’s care when Christ was on the cross.

“Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son! Then He said to the disciple, “Behold your mother!” And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.” John 19:25-27

If Mary had other children with Joseph, then assigning John to take care of Mary would not be a concern of Christ. (By this point in scripture Joseph has died. Women could not own property, and would be destitute if they did not have any children to look after them.) By assigning John as Mary’s caretaker, Christ affirms her perpetual virginity for all.

I hope this helps.

In XC,

Maureen

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 10:40:07 PM »

Thank you all for the helpful and thoughtful responses.  I am currently undergoing instruction and I could tell the priest was more than a little taken back by my questions on this matter--particularly on why belief in Mary's perpetual virginity was essential to the possibility of my salvation.  I'm attempting to be very honest with myself, so hopefully the fact that I don't reject it and am open to acceptance is sufficient.

I'm surprised your priest was taken aback by this matter.  This is a very common issue for protestant converts. Are there many converts in your parish?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »

But I encourage you to start trying to develop a relationship with her. 

This suggestion is indeed very difficult for me to fathom in my current state. Honestly, i'm still scared of her at this point.  Sad
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 11:04:44 PM »

But I encourage you to start trying to develop a relationship with her.

This suggestion is indeed very difficult for me to fathom in my current state. Honestly, i'm still scared of her at this point.  Sad

I can understand this. Although baptized in the Orthodox Church as an infant, I spent a fair amount of time in the Baptist Church as a child and into my early twenties because of my mother.

When I decided to return to the Church after bouncing back and forth for years, I had big issues to overcome with Mary. I didn't feel comfortable with the hymns we sang to her or antyhing. (Not to mention all the icons of her!)

After all, the Baptists say she's just a regular gal, not worthy of praise. And as for her intercessions? What's that?

I remember being alone one day in the sanctuary gazing at the Platytera.

I had a little chat with God that went along the lines of, "Okay, you brought me here, I realize this is the true Church, but you've got to help me with your Mother. I've got to get over my preconceived notions about her. Help me love her!

And Holy Mother, if you do hear my prayers, please help me!"

I kept praying to God about it, and over time God worked on my heart, and I was able to accept her place in the Church, and accept her as a mother into my heart.

This prayer, coincidentally, was said on the Feast of the Pokrov, the Protection of the Theotokos. My name, Maureen, means "little Mary" in Irish. Although I had not been raised with patron saint, I sort of "adopted" her as my Patron, and the Feast as my name's day.

So talk to Christ about his mother. Tell him your fears. He will help you. And so will she. Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 10:04:20 AM »

For me, as a former Lutheran, it was not quite so traumatic (Luther loved the Virgin Mary), but I still had a problem accepting it.

The real turning point with me was when I realized that it really didn't matter what I was willing to believe or not.

What mattered was the Truth, that is, what the Church, the Body of Christ, had believed and taught for centuries.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:05:00 AM by katherineofdixie » Logged

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: