OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 10:16:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PBS Video on the Emergent Church Movement  (Read 2660 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« on: October 12, 2009, 01:43:29 AM »

For those of you who have come out of this, you might find this interesting.  Count how many times you here Emergent buzz words like "conversation", "dialogue" and "gathering."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf79xW6RAh4

Just to be clear, I'm not completely mocking this or anything; only partially.  Wink

I attended an "emerging" church for a little while, and it wasn't nearly a strange as half of these places.

Oh, and there is a shout-out to some Eastern Orthodox influence.  See if you can spot it, because I missed it.  Maybe they mean the candles?!?!  Grin
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:43:55 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 01:57:37 AM »

"Many Christians say that the usual way of 'doing' church, no longer resonate with a contemporary, modern culture."

It was also said that believer's have identified themselves as, among other things: post-Protestant. 

I would argue- post-Christian.  But then again, 'Christian' is a very generic term these days it seems.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »

Oh, and there is a shout-out to some Eastern Orthodox influence.  See if you can spot it, because I missed it.  Maybe they mean the candles?!?!  Grin

Yeah, it must be the candles.  If you light candles, you are Orthodox.  I couldn't find any orthodox praxis or beliefs or faith in anything in this video.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
ironsiderodger

Faith: Interesting question...
Jurisdiction: n/a

St Eudocia- still in progress.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »

Yeah I've heard them claim Orthodox similarity before as well; apparently they don't really know the Orthodox well at all.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »

Interesting video. This emergent church movement just makes me sigh though. Why don't they stop messing around and just become Orthodox! Cool

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »

Yeah I've heard them claim Orthodox similarity before as well; apparently they don't really know the Orthodox well at all.

The Jesus Prayer is very popular in certain Emergent churches, and also some of the churches use Byzantine icons for meditation during services.  Join the buffet!
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »

The Jesus Prayer is very popular in certain Emergent churches, and also some of the churches use Byzantine icons for meditation during services.  Join the buffet!

Yup. Cafeteria Christianity writ large. Use a few groovy and "exotic" elements like candles and icons in your "worship", and voilaTongue Tongue
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »

I think they mean the yoga. Roll Eyes

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 01:15:37 PM »

Maybe this should be called the Bored Yuppies movement.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 04:43:13 PM »

This emergent church movement just makes me sigh though. Why don't they stop messing around and just become Orthodox! Cool
Indeed! I've wondered the same thing myself.
I saw an ad recently for "worship like the ancient church did" or some such, and I had to be forcibly restrained from attending and letting them know where they can really find that, if they're interested.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »

Is there a part 2 out yet for this video?

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
MariM

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Boston

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »

There is a part two on UTube and it is more detailed as to what the "Emergent Church" believes or trying to establish.  This kind of thing has been around for quite some time it has only resurfaced.
searn77

Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »

There is a part two on UTube and it is more detailed as to what the "Emergent Church" believes or trying to establish.  This kind of thing has been around for quite some time it has only resurfaced.

Could you possibly post a link because I can't find it?

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 06:29:31 PM »

I wonder if there's some parellel with the Puseyeites and the Oxford Movement. No, not really. The latter had WAY more intellectual depth in England. "Cranmer was wrong. Let's go back to the fathers, the real presence, incense, candles and the Sarum rite!" Those that didn't go Roman went Anglo-Catholic and never left. Anglo-Catholic claims such as the "branch theory" of apolosticity aren't really accepted outside of Anglicanism.

It's interesting to see in the past few years the invasion of traditional iconographical styles in some Latin-rite Catholic churches (even those which wouldn't pass muster like St. Joseph or Sacred Heart...) After having thrown out so much after V-II, they turned to the East to fill in the vaccuum. And then there's the tacky - I have seen... electric candles (ugh...) Toss in a quarter and flick a switch.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:31:54 PM by John Larocque » Logged
MariM

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCmbsBlnUA&feature=related
searn77

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCmbsBlnUA&feature=related

This video is not the part 2 of the PBS special. I was able to find the part 2 of the PBS video here:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week846/cover.html#

I'll have to watch that video that you gave the link to along with the part 1 as the emerging church interests me because I came from a non-denominational emerging church background (although the church I went to didn't look anywhere nearly as crazy as the churches that the pbs video shows).

MariM

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »

I apologize, I guess I didn't pay enough attention to who published the movie, it only concurred with alot of what I'd know of the "Emergent Church."  I think it is in varying forms from what I understand; some are not as far out there as others.  It does cross over into a little of everything out there.  Maybe not the one you went to but some have included Eastern religions.  I don't know if you looked at this particular link it is not all bad there is some good info on it. Thanks for the information.  There are many other mainline churches out there moving in this direction.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:53:21 PM by MariM » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »

The arguments against the Emergent movement in this video are insanely idiotic.  He's basically saying that young people are moving away from the Bible and toward those things from the "dark ages."  Anything "Catholic", like incense, candles and the like.  This is a problem for him because these people are chasing after experiences, which I would agree with, but he goes on to say that the Bible, not experiences, must dictate our beliefs.  He's stuck in the cognitive phase, and a stupid version of it at that.

I thank God that he showed me his Church when he did.  Christendom is drowning, and the Orthodox Church is the ark of salvation!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:18:44 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
MariM

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »

Like I said; some of it is okay.  I ignore some things in light of who the speaker is.  I didn't capture who it was originally by, therefore it is not the same as who published the first one; it still has some good information.  Sorry. 
Tags: Protestant Christianity Emergent Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: