OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 07:33:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know who this group is?  (Read 2898 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: November 09, 2009, 02:12:02 PM »

On saturday evening i was walking through the parking lot of my friend's apartment complex. There happened to be a group of colleged aged young men in suites talking in the parking lot. I thought, "Oh great, the Mormons are out." As I passed by them they said, "Have you ever heard of our Heavenly Mother." Well conversation began. It turns out that they believe that God is both "mother" and "father" and that we should only celebrate the Eucharist on Passover. What's really strange is that they believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. They also  told me that their church was founded in 1948 and that it was prophecized in the bible. Anyone know who this group is?

BTW, my conversation with these young men furthered my conviction that Sola Scriptura is a completely intellectually bankrupt ideaology.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:58 PM »

^^What'd they call themselves? 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »

Confused Trick-or-Treaters?
Seventh Day Adventists?
Schism of Mormons? 

Immediately purchase Mormon/Evangelical Repellent at your local animal shelter.  Walking with a 120 lb black dog has been very effective at repelling Mormons in my neighborhood. 
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »

The Church of God

But I thought that there were many many many groups who went by this name.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

The Church of God

Eg. we Smiley

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »

The Church of God

Eg. we Smiley
Haha. When I finished talking to them I told them that they should join God's Church. LOL

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 04:05:07 PM »

As I passed by them they said, "Have you ever heard of our Heavenly Mother."

After hearing this statement I would have crossed myself and kept on walking!  Shocked
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:05:20 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 04:06:12 PM »

As I passed by them they said, "Have you ever heard of our Heavenly Mother."

After hearing this statement I would have crossed myself and kept on walking!  Shocked
After hearing them say this I almost considering saying, "Yes, that would be the Blessed Virgin Mary." LOL. After a moment's reflection I thought better of it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:18:17 PM by Papist » Logged

Vocatio

Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »

Seventh Day Adventists?
Schism of Mormons? 

Immediately purchase Mormon/Evangelical Repellent at your local animal shelter.  Walking with a 120 lb black dog has been very effective at repelling Mormons in my neighborhood. 
Cheesy but I agree with the last poster [Ortho_cat  oops].  I'd have signed myself and prayed "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me a sinner"... that for trying my best not to judge them so hard and do as this poster said to get a can of repellent.  funny though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:18:57 PM by Vocatio » Logged

\"Wherever the bishop appears, there let the people be; as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the catholic Church. It is not lawful to baptize or give communion without the consent of the bishop. On the other hand, whatever has his approval is pleasing to God.\"  St. Ignatius of Antioch
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »

On saturday evening i was walking through the parking lot of my friend's apartment complex. There happened to be a group of colleged aged young men in suites talking in the parking lot. I thought, "Oh great, the Mormons are out." As I passed by them they said, "Have you ever heard of our Heavenly Mother." Well conversation began. It turns out that they believe that God is both "mother" and "father" and that we should only celebrate the Eucharist on Passover. What's really strange is that they believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. They also  told me that their church was founded in 1948 and that it was prophecized in the bible. Anyone know who this group is?

BTW, my conversation with these young men furthered my conviction that Sola Scriptura is a completely intellectually bankrupt ideaology.

The belief in the Real Presence and the belief that God is both 'mother' and 'father' is common in medieval Catholicism. The latter idea is usually presented with some sophistication. Julian of Norwich most certainly saw Jesus as 'oure deareworthy lord and mother'; she is considered a saint by many. In its medieval formulations, this idea is quite a way removed from 'sola Scriptura': it is usually an elaboration on our affective understanding of God, rather than any sort of literal exegesis.

However, it's the Eucharist on Passover that bewilders me, and makes me suspect that this is a garbled version of several different influences.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »

The belief in the Real Presence and the belief that God is both 'mother' and 'father' is common in medieval Catholicism. The latter idea is usually presented with some sophistication. Julian of Norwich most certainly saw Jesus as 'oure deareworthy lord and mother'; she is considered a saint by many. In its medieval formulations, this idea is quite a way removed from 'sola Scriptura': it is usually an elaboration on our affective understanding of God, rather than any sort of literal exegesis.

However, it's the Eucharist on Passover that bewilders me, and makes me suspect that this is a garbled version of several different influences.
The idea that God is literally mother in the manner presented by these young men is foreign to Catholicism. I can't find a single place in our Liturgy or Church Documents that address God as mother.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »

I have a good friend who attends a Mennonite church (due to his wife's influence) that also believes that "the Lord's Supper" should only be held on Passover.  He's not militant or even truly convicted in this belief, but I find it incredibly odd.  He's only brought it up once in conversation and then said something else that was even more strange (which, of course, I can't recall at the moment) and we ended up talking about the latter. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »

Here it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Mission_Society_Church_of_God

There “founder” was baptised in 1948.  Read the part about Passover.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:29:51 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 04:50:51 PM »

^ There they are. I think that I should expand my question by asking, is there anyone here who has ever had an encounter with this group?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »

I just finished reading the Wiki Article....  Shocked  I really should  have just prayed the Jesus prayer and kept walking.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »

I thought this part of the article was interesting...

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »

How come and no one had ever heard about those before? I mean, I know there have been like 3.000+ denominations since the Reformation, but that's just too much.

The Church of God
No way! Most people say "The Church of Jesus Christ"!

I also found the "Other Beliefs" very interesting too.
Did the mention anything about the Early Church, Papist?

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »

How come and no one had ever heard about those before? I mean, I know there have been like 3.000+ denominations since the Reformation, but that's just too much.

The Church of God
No way! Most people say "The Church of Jesus Christ"!

I also found the "Other Beliefs" very interesting too.
Did the mention anything about the Early Church, Papist?
Yes I did. I told them, "Look buddies, these are the practices and beliefs of the early Christians..." However, they said that I was relying on the word of men rather than the Word of God.  Roll Eyes Sola Scriptura gives me stomach cramps.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:14:11 AM by Papist » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 12:25:53 PM »

Here is a coincidence for you. Just yesterday I was driving past the local Christian Science Church which has one of those marquee's out front. They post pithy little comments or sayings on it.

Yesterday they had written about belief in the "Father-Mother God".... I don't think your group of men were Christian Scientists but it's weird that this little bit of heresy is being mentioned so soon after I saw this.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 12:55:14 PM »

The idea that God is literally mother in the manner presented by these young men is foreign to Catholicism. I can't find a single place in our Liturgy or Church Documents that address God as mother.

Foreign to modern Catholicism, I think.

I don't see what's so offensive about it, as long as we're clear that one is only addressing God as 'mother' in order to emphasize the maternal aspects of the divine, not in order to detract from God as Father.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »

I don't see what's so offensive about it, as long as we're clear that one is only addressing God as 'mother' in order to emphasize the maternal aspects of the divine, not in order to detract from God as Father.
Because God has revealed himself as Father and not mother. If God were our mother, what would be the need for the Blessed Virgin Mary as our Mother?

Liz
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »

Because God has revealed himself as Father and not mother. If God were our mother, what would be the need for the Blessed Virgin Mary as our Mother?

I'll pm you to keep on topic!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »

There they are. I think that I should expand my question by asking, is there anyone here who has ever had an encounter with this group?

At first I thought maybe, just because of the name, but nope, different group. The Church of God that I was a part of was out of Anderson, IN, and were pretty normal Protestant Christians (except for taking the concept of non-denominationalism to extremes, in their literature if not in their practices).

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Sakeneko

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 10:23:45 PM »

Seventh Day Adventists?
Schism of Mormons? 

Not the latter two.  "Heavenly Mother" and real presence in the Eucharist?  From two churches whose base beliefs include strict paternalism and the Eucharist as "symbol ONLY, NOT reality"?  (That's especially true of the Mormons, but is also true of the Seventh Day Adventists.)   Methinks a rather strange offshoot of the "Holy Wisdom" theology of Orthodoxy is more likely, as little as I like to say so. :/  This could also be an offshoot of Catholicism or Anglicanism.

Nah.  I grew up around Mormons in Texas.  They were as likely to be fond of dogs as any of the rest of us.  In fact, I'd expect one of their young elders on mission to come over, ask to pat the dog, and use that to strike up a conversation, which presumably isn't what you intended.  (Of course, that would also offer *us* the chance to share about the Church if we were so inclined.) ;-)
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »

Seventh Day Adventists?
Schism of Mormons? 

Not the latter two.  "Heavenly Mother" and real presence in the Eucharist?  From two churches whose base beliefs include strict paternalism and the Eucharist as "symbol ONLY, NOT reality"?  (That's especially true of the Mormons, but is also true of the Seventh Day Adventists.)   Methinks a rather strange offshoot of the "Holy Wisdom" theology of Orthodoxy is more likely, as little as I like to say so. :/  This could also be an offshoot of Catholicism or Anglicanism.

Nah.  I grew up around Mormons in Texas.  They were as likely to be fond of dogs as any of the rest of us.  In fact, I'd expect one of their young elders on mission to come over, ask to pat the dog, and use that to strike up a conversation, which presumably isn't what you intended.  (Of course, that would also offer *us* the chance to share about the Church if we were so inclined.) ;-)
My dog is almost as big as Texas but not quite as friendly as a Texan.  Wink

I have never discussed  theology with the Mormon missionaries  My priest LOVES to see them come to his home.  (There is probably a Mormon manuel with instructions that forbid the missionaries from intentionally visiting him. I should just post a picture of my priest on my front door and the Mormons would know to turn and run.)

Has anyone on this thread invited the young Mormon missionaries in to chat?  What happened?
Vocatio

Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »

Seventh Day Adventists?
Schism of Mormons? 

Coming right out of a Fundamentalist Evangelical church I'm still inclined to share the gospel right back.  I did it about 2 years ago in a very subtle way with a woman telling me her sob story, which I took to be true but could have easily been a con.  I handed her a crucifix and she pushed it back while telling me she was JW.  I just took that the same way a Mormon would and moved forward, was good at playing bible chess...prooftexting before becoming Catholic.  Now I realize the ignorance of it.  But I still am glad I have the guts to do it and am proud that I at least tried to defend what I thought was truth - even though it wasn't too far off.

\"Wherever the bishop appears, there let the people be; as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the catholic Church. It is not lawful to baptize or give communion without the consent of the bishop. On the other hand, whatever has his approval is pleasing to God.\"  St. Ignatius of Antioch
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: