OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:42:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books for Converts  (Read 3072 times) Average Rating: 0
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »

I recently read The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos. I really enjoyed it.

Because I am on a journey for the Truth and because I wanted to hear both sides, I decided to follow up my reading of Metropolitan Kallistos' book with a Catholic equivalent. I chose Triumph by H. W. Crocker III. Unfortunately, I can't even get through it. Even though it is meant to be a pro-Catholic book, I find it hard to stomach.

At any rate, I want to read another book on the ancient Church from the Eastern Orthodox point of view.

Would you be so kind as to recommend a book for me to read next?

Grazie
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:40:56 PM by militantsparrow » Logged

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »

Welcome to the forum, militantsparrow.

THere have been many threads already devoted to convert reading lists. May I suggest a search through the site?

However, it seems you are looking for something more historical than doctrinal truths?  I would suggest that you find a copy of Jarsolav Pelikan's second volume of the Christian Tradition entitled The Spirit of Eastern Christendom (600-1700). It will get into a lot of the issues that teh early church wrestled with particularly in the east.  The late Dr. Pelikan was a convert to Orthodoxy from Lutheranism and a great scholar.  It is dense reading, but well worth the effort.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:10:26 PM »

If you're looking for more on the theological side of things, there is always The Orthodox Way by Met. Kallistos. And for something else that is a condensed version of Church history, you could look into The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy by Alexander Schmemann. I would also second the suggestion of scamandrius regarding The Christian Tradition by Jaroslav Pelikan (especially the first two volumes).
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »

THere have been many threads already devoted to convert reading lists. May I suggest a search through the site?

However, it seems you are looking for something more historical than doctrinal truths? 

scamandrius,
Thank you. Yes, I have searched through the forums and have found lots of suggestions, but its like being a kid in a candy store. So I was hoping to refine my results a little by asking for some specifically historical books as you gleaned.

I will definitely put The Spirit of Eastern Christendom (600-1700) on my wish list. Thank you.

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »

If you're looking for more on the theological side of things, there is always The Orthodox Way by Met. Kallistos. And for something else that is a condensed version of Church history, you could look into The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy by Alexander Schmemann. I would also second the suggestion of scamandrius regarding The Christian Tradition by Jaroslav Pelikan (especially the first two volumes).

Asteriktos,
Thank you. Met. Kallistos' The Orthodox Way sounds like a good next step since I'm already familiar with his writing and enjoy it. I'll be putting The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy on my wish list as well.

wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »

If you're looking for more on the theological side of things, there is always The Orthodox Way by Met. Kallistos.

I agree. People always seem to leave this one out.
Tobit

Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:22:44 PM »

Ten books to choose from that I think might help you.

• The Lives of the Saints

I think that should about do it.  Grin
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »

I'd agree with you and Scamandrius, although I don't know about all y'all, but I thought it was pretty scholarly (read: dry).  No offense to all y'all scholarly types.  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 11:38:06 PM »

The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church, by Lossky.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 11:49:19 PM »

If you want a very straightforward, enlightening and easy to read catechism, I recommend "The Faith" by Clark Carlton.
Paisius
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Reframed

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »

I recently read The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos. I really enjoyed it.

Because I am on a journey for the Truth and because I wanted to hear both sides, I decided to follow up my reading of Metropolitan Kallistos' book with a Catholic equivalent. I chose Triumph by H. W. Crocker III. Unfortunately, I can't even get through it. Even though it is meant to be a pro-Catholic book, I find it hard to stomach.

At any rate, I want to read another book on the ancient Church from the Eastern Orthodox point of view.

Would you be so kind as to recommend a book for me to read next?

Grazie

I recommend The Truth of our Faith by Elder Cleopas of Romania.

Yours in Christ
Joe
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:25:16 AM by Paisius » Logged

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »

First, let me reiterate what others have said: The Orthodox Way by Ware is definitely the next book you should read. No doubt that you will enjoy it and benefit from it (spiritually, as well as intellectually).

Nothing beats primary sources, though. The first ancient Christian sources I ever read (and, in my mind, still the best) were:

• 1. The collected works of the so-called Apostolic Fathers (e.g. St. Ignatius, Clement of Rome, the Martyrdom of Polycarp, the Didache, etc.) and
  • 2. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers (trans. Benedicta Ward).

With two of Met. Kallistos' books under you'll belt, you'll absolutely love reading some primary sources.

If you are looking for something written by a Catholic, you should check out The Spirit of Early Christian Thought: Seeking the Face of God by Robert Wilken. Truly a great book, on the level of both of Met. Kallistos'. Of course, everything Wilken writes could just as easily been written by an Orthodox, so I wouldn't say there's anything unusually Roman about it (aside, perhaps, from his love of Augustine).

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:37:54 PM »

Thank you everyone. I have about six of your recommendations on hold at the library. But by all means, if you have more suggestions, please feel free to make them. I'll need something to read after I'm done with this.

Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »

Here's an interesting work on English Orthodoxy:

http://www.romanitas.ru/eng/THE%20FALL%20OF%20ORTHODOX%20ENGLAND%205X8.htm

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 04:45:58 PM »

I wanted to let everyone know that I just finished The Orthodox Way. I thought it was outstanding. Thank you for the recommendation.

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »

I love that book.  Also, if you're coming from a Roman Catholic background, I'd recommend Two Paths by Michael Whelton.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 09:40:09 PM »

I wanted to let everyone know that I just finished The Orthodox Way. I thought it was outstanding. Thank you for the recommendation.

It's even better the second time!  Wink
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 10:32:33 PM »

The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church, by Lossky.

Not for newbie converts.  That's pretty advanced (though admittedly very good) for beginners.  Best to soak up the faith for awhile and then tackle this tome.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 11:44:24 PM »

I love that book.  Also, if you're coming from a Roman Catholic background, I'd recommend Two Paths by Michael Whelton.

Thank you. I'll add the Path to my list.

I just started reading The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy.

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 11:46:37 PM »

It's even better the second time!  Wink

I bet it is. Smiley Theres so much depth to his writing.

militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »

You know how it is on a cold winter night and you climb in bed under the covers and you sort of shiver off the cold for a minute. The longer you stay under the covers the more comfortable you feel. That’s kind of how these books are making me feel.

The RC books I’ve read have had a tendency to feel very analytical and cold. The EO books however feel very warm and inviting. They seem to touch my heart more so than my mind. I guess they probably all can’t be this good, but I’ve read a string of great ones so far.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »

Yes, I know the feeling.
Sakeneko

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 10:15:27 PM »

You've read the first two I'd have recommended to most people, Sparrow. :-)  I'd like to recommend Fr. Alexander Schmemann's work next.  He's written a number of wonderful books: theological, historical, and devotional.  One that inquirers often find helpful and worthwhile is "For the Life of the World".  I'll second whoever recommended "The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy", which is an excellent introduction to the history of the Eastern Christian church.   I've reread his devotional book, "Great Lent," several times during Great Lent.  A bit further into your search, when you're ready for something truly wonderful on many levels, you should read Schmemann's very best work, "The Eucharist."  When you're ready for something with real philosophical and intellectual meat, try Christos Yannaras' "The Freedom of Morality."  It will stretch your brain, but is IMHO an excellent book for many seekers to read nonetheless.

I'll second Scamandrius's comment on Fr. Vladimir Lossky's "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" unless you have a fairly extensive theological background and taste for meaty works with philosophical, as well as theological, depth.  It's a *wonderful* book, don't get me wrong, but it's also tough going for most people who are new to Orthodox Christianity. 
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »

You've read the first two I'd have recommended to most people, Sparrow. :-)  I'd like to recommend Fr. Alexander Schmemann's work next.  He's written a number of wonderful books: theological, historical, and devotional.  One that inquirers often find helpful and worthwhile is "For the Life of the World".  I'll second whoever recommended "The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy", which is an excellent introduction to the history of the Eastern Christian church.   I've reread his devotional book, "Great Lent," several times during Great Lent.  A bit further into your search, when you're ready for something truly wonderful on many levels, you should read Schmemann's very best work, "The Eucharist."  When you're ready for something with real philosophical and intellectual meat, try Christos Yannaras' "The Freedom of Morality."  It will stretch your brain, but is IMHO an excellent book for many seekers to read nonetheless.

I'll second Scamandrius's comment on Fr. Vladimir Lossky's "Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" unless you have a fairly extensive theological background and taste for meaty works with philosophical, as well as theological, depth.  It's a *wonderful* book, don't get me wrong, but it's also tough going for most people who are new to Orthodox Christianity. 

Thank you for the suggestions Sakeneko. I will add them to my list. I'm really enjoying The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy. It's a great foil to Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church: A 2,000-Year History.

Tags: Convert Books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: