OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:35:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox devotionalism?  (Read 1200 times) Average Rating: 0
The Caffeinator
Elder

« on: January 22, 2004, 01:29:18 PM »

How do you as EO's and OO's start your morning? How do you end your day? I often pray some sort of divine office, after praying various devotional prayers, for example, consecrating myself to Mary, the Morning Offering, etc. I often visit the Sacrament and on occasion pray the Rosary at the local Adoration Chapel. For night I give myself to the Holy Family, examine my conscience, make an act of contrition, etc. Don't be fooled though...These are the devotions I aspire to. I am often lax in my prayers.

How does the daily Orthodox prayerlife go?
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 03:20:00 PM »

Caffeinator,

Speaking for myself a older RC, I use Eastern Morning & Evening prayers, I find them more centered towards the Holy Trinity, the Lord, Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary/Theotokos.

Generally, they are prayers for all brethern and personal requests. I found RC prayers to be centered to "me" and not my family, friends and brethern as in Eastern prayers.

This is my humble opinion,

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2004, 03:23:56 PM »

The traditional and ancient Coptic Orthodox Daily Hours are at www.agpeya.org. I'll try to pray Prime and Compline, I know some more devout Copts who pray more hours. At the moment I am personally using the Sarum Rite Diurnal, and in the past, before I became Orthodox, I used EO daily prayers, and even before that I used the Anglican Society of St Frances Daily Office book.

Like you I am an aspirant, although I find that the Jesus Prayer comes often into my mind and sometimes I wake in the night with the prayer going on. I find that many times I pray the Jesus Prayer driving to work in the morning. I need to memorise a couple of the offices.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 03:45:31 PM »

Do Orthodox examine their consciences? Where can I find an EOx examination of conscience?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 03:58:17 PM »

That one in The Way of the Pilgrim is a good one.

And St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in Dallas, TX has a nice little site that has a number of examinations of conscience.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 04:17:33 PM »

Schultz,

That is a good site, I use the Jordanville(1986) Prayers from St. Hilarion's site, which has others Sarum etc.

http://www.odox.net/index.html

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 04:31:22 PM »

There are a few choices.

First, there is a standard -- more or less -- set of private morning and evening prayers.  The Jordanville Prayer has them in a fairly full version according to the Russian usage but the Greek usage, while shorter, is nonetheless very similar.

Alternatively, one could pray the daily offices -- most likely in an abbreviated format and there have been many abbreviated formats published -- matins and vespers, together with a set of bedtime prayers/compline.

A popular Orthodox devotion is, of course, the Jesus prayer.  Some devout Orthodox pray this with the use of a chotki, or fabric prayer rope to help them focus.  I would say that this is probably the most popular Orthodox "devotion".

Another practice that is not strictly devotional is to venerate the icons daily -- there are numerous Orthodox who do this.  Also some Orthodox light candles or burn incense while they are at prayer or praying the Jesus Prayer in order to help focus.

Having said all of that, there are many Orthodox who don't pray very much at all (as in any other religious group), even among the church-going Orthodox.  It is an issue with us as it is with anyone else.

B
Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: