OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 05:28:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a recipe for Kurban Communion Bread  (Read 1950 times) Average Rating: 0
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:36 AM »

I have been asked by a local woman who recently married a Lebanese husband for a recipe for Kurban, the arabic style communion bread.  I usually make the Greek style loaves and do not have a recipe for the arabic style bread. Do any of you have a recipe for it?

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »

As far as I know, the recipe for Orthodox prosphora is basically the same: white flour, yeast, water, and a pinch of salt, and nothing else. Variation between churches is more in the shape and size of the loaf, not what it's made of.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:27:55 AM »

I've noticed that our antidoron tastes slightly sweet. Does anyone else notice this? If so, what ingredient is the cause for this?
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:14:55 AM »

Are you receiving antidoron (Blessed Bread) or an artos from an artoklasia (Blessing of Bread)?   Huh

A piece of the artos tends to be significantly larger and sweeter than the Blessed Bread.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:32:40 AM »

I am referring to what is handed out after DL, which I always thought was antidoron. The piece sizes are usually about 1 in squares. When is one likely to encounter artos?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:33:59 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »

I am referring to what is handed out after DL, which I always thought was antidoron. The piece sizes are usually about 1 in squares. When is one likely to encounter artos?
Yes, all Orthodox prosphora follow the same conventions: white flour, water, yeast and (optional) salt.  The more obvious difference is that many Arab Christians follow the earlier St. James liturgical tradition of a single layer, flat loaf, whereas the Byzantine tradition tends towards two-layer loaves.

Some people add sugar to sweeten loaves (which is not proper, but try telling Grandma what to do and see how far that gets you), but you can get the natural sweetness of the flour by using the 'boiled flour method.'

It's all on my website: http://www.prosphora.org

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »

When is one likely to encounter artos?

Answered in Reply #3.   Smiley
The Blessing of the Bread commemorates the miracle of Christ feeding 5,000 men with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish.
Tags: bread communion prosphora recipe 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: