OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:38:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craigslist Ad- An Armed Society Makes For A More Civil Society  (Read 5184 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: October 07, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »

Not sure of the validity of this post but it still makes for a good read.

***Subject: Ad Was Posted to Craig's List Personals:

To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in Downtown Savannah night before
  last. Date: 07-27-09, 1:43 A M EST.

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on my girlfriend, threatening our lives and me.

You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings.

I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment when I drew my pistol after you took my Jacket. The evening was not that cold, and
 I was wearing the jacket for a reason.

My girlfriend had just bought me that Kimber Model 1911 .45 A CP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for
 it that very evening.

Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head wasn't it?

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from bare footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and
 wallet with me. [That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again].

After I called your mother, or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as four other people's in the gas station on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 150 gallons and was extremely grateful!

I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!]

I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ... after I broke the windshield and side window
 and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.

Later, I called a bunch of phone sex numbers from your cell phone. Ma Bell just now shut down the line, although I only used the phone
 for a little over a day now, so what's going on with that?

Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as
 my possible target. The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.).

In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment
 for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can
 only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider the career path you've chosen to pursue in life.

Remember, next time you might not be so lucky.

Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours, Alex

P.S. Remember this motto. . AN ARMED SOCIETY MAKES FOR A MORE CIVIL SOCIETY!
-----------------------------------------------------------

So true!  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:44:09 AM »

Just desserts.  Cheesy

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:58:19 AM »

I see.  So theft and vandalism are now "just desserts" for someone who got away with neither.

Civil society, indeed.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »

I see.  So theft and vandalism are now "just desserts" for someone who got away with neither.

Civil society, indeed.

You missed that it was a pimp-mobile.  Clearly a euphemism for them being black.  And obviously that means they are guilty of some crime. 
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »

Civil society, indeed.

I agree.

I have no problem with someone using a weapon (firearm, stun gun, pepper spray, etc.) in their own defense or in defense of another.  But I see nothing laudable in the idea of stealing from someone who was trying to steal from you or in vandalizing the property of a third party.

Self-defense is a just action.  Vigilante actions and vengeful actions are neither just nor civil.

Carole
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »

Awesome.  So now if Mr. Justice on My Terms can be identified, he can be arrested for credit card fraud, vandalism, maybe even armed robbery since he pulled a gun on his mugger and demanded his wallet.  That's astoundingly brilliant.  You know, it's one thing to pull a gun to defend yourself and it's a whole other realm of stupid to become the assailant.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »

Civil society, indeed.

You missed that it was a pimp-mobile.  Clearly a euphemism for them being black.
Probably, but not necessarily.  Back when I moved to my current location, I began hearing lots of rap music blaring from cars going by.  I noticed that each time I looked out the window just to observe who it was, 99% of the time it was coming from white people's cars.  And believe it or not, some of those cars were/are "pimped" out.

And obviously that means they are guilty of some crime. 
Well, obviously someone was/is guilty.  In this scenario, lines were crossed and now two people are guilty.  And if I may make another observation; anyone who drives a "pimp mobile", white or black, is suspect in my eyes. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »

Civil society, indeed.

You missed that it was a pimp-mobile.  Clearly a euphemism for them being black.
Probably, but not necessarily.  Back when I moved to my current location, I began hearing lots of rap music blaring from cars going by.  I noticed that each time I looked out the window just to observe who it was, 99% of the time it was coming from white people's cars.  And believe it or not, some of those cars were/are "pimped" out.

Well, obviously someone was/is guilty.  In this scenario, lines were crossed and now two people are guilty.  And if I may make another observation; anyone who drives a "pimp mobile", white or black, is suspect in my eyes. 

Suspect of what?  Having bad taste?  Being a follower of trends such as the insanely popular MTV show "Pimp My Ride"?

The real street pimps and drug dealers do not bother with such things as it brings attention to them.  You wouldn't know a real pimp if you saw one as real ones don't dress in big white hats and wear feather lined trenchcoats.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:48:53 PM »

Awesome.  So now if Mr. Justice on My Terms can be identified, he can be arrested for credit card fraud, vandalism, maybe even armed robbery since he pulled a gun on his mugger and demanded his wallet.  That's astoundingly brilliant.  You know, it's one thing to pull a gun to defend yourself and it's a whole other realm of stupid to become the assailant.

I agree that the vigilante probably went too far.  But if you've ever been in a life-threatening situation before, it's most definitely harrowing and life-changing.  Have you ever had a knife or gun pulled on you and looked the attacker in the eyes and saw the raw energy and intent to do what he says he's gonna do?  I pray that you never do but I promise you this; you will walk away a different person!  And in many cases, attackers are rarely caught and positive ID'd, and even if they are, they're back on the streets with little impetus to amend their ways.  So the way I see it, the knife wielder wasn't given any hardship that night.  He was given a most precious gift: his life.    

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »

Civil society, indeed.

Suspect of what?  Having bad taste?  Being a follower of trends such as the insanely popular MTV show "Pimp My Ride"?

The real street pimps and drug dealers do not bother with such things as it brings attention to them.  You wouldn't know a real pimp if you saw one as real ones don't dress in big white hats and wear feather lined trenchcoats.

How do you have so much inside info on real pimps?  Wink

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:03 PM »

Civil society, indeed.

Because I live in East Baltimore, heroin capital of the East Coast (if not America) and mere blocks from one of Charm City's infamous "Corners" Smiley

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »

Civil society, indeed.

Because I live in East Baltimore, heroin capital of the East Coast (if not America) and mere blocks from one of Charm City's infamous "Corners" Smiley
But if you wouldn't know a real pimp if you saw one, then how do you know you live close to an infamous "Corner"?

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »

Civil society, indeed.

But if you wouldn't know a real pimp if you saw one, then how do you know you live close to an infamous "Corner"?

a) Police blotter.  One thing the local papers do well is report the crime that occurs in neighborhoods.  Of course, it doesn't do much good at STOPPING it, but at least I know what those sirens were about the other night.

b) Living in an economically depressed urban area for a length gives one the ability to know who one's neighbors.  You hear things by talking to neighbors or just by having a window open.  While I most certainly did say that those engaged in prostitution don't always like to attract attention to themselves, it just so happens that many of them don't mind screaming at their "employees" at 2am on a public street.  Call it the paradox of crime.

c) I didn't say I didn't know a pimp if I saw one...I said you wouldn't know a pimp if you saw one because you apparently are suspicious of anyone with trendy, obnoxious automobile accessories.  These people have been my neighbors. 

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »

You know, I was thinking the same thing when I read this. Don't forget threatening the President, and that the mere post of this can be construed as inciting violence. This "Alex" deserves whatever he gets.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »

Have you ever had a knife or gun pulled on you and looked the attacker in the eyes and saw the raw energy and intent to do what he says he's gonna do?  I pray that you never do but I promise you this; you will walk away a different person!  And in many cases, attackers are rarely caught and positive ID'd, and even if they are, they're back on the streets with little impetus to amend their ways.    
True, but then, most attackers don't post what they've done on Craig's List.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »

I agree that the vigilante probably went too far.  But if you've ever been in a life-threatening situation before, it's most definitely harrowing and life-changing.  Have you ever had a knife or gun pulled on you and looked the attacker in the eyes and saw the raw energy and intent to do what he says he's gonna do?  I pray that you never do but I promise you this; you will walk away a different person!  And in many cases, attackers are rarely caught and positive ID'd, and even if they are, they're back on the streets with little impetus to amend their ways.  So the way I see it, the knife wielder wasn't given any hardship that night.  He was given a most precious gift: his life.    

Fortunately, I've not been in this type of situation and I'm not saying that he was wrong to defend himself in this scenario.  I just think he went way too far.  He really should have left it as pulling the gun and then called the police.  There are people trained to deal with such situations and it's not up to the general populace to be judge, jury, and executioner. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 01:17:55 PM »

Have you ever had a knife or gun pulled on you and looked the attacker in the eyes and saw the raw energy and intent to do what he says he's gonna do?  I pray that you never do but I promise you this; you will walk away a different person!  And in many cases, attackers are rarely caught and positive ID'd, and even if they are, they're back on the streets with little impetus to amend their ways.    

That's what really blows my mind is that in his attempt to teach this guy a lesson, he's implicated himself in criminal activity and become a real jerk on top of that.  I'm not trying to defend the knifer's actions, but meeting a wrong with more wrong is just dumb.  And Fark-worthy to post it on Craigslist.

Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 03:55:39 PM »

Am I the only one that thinks this is a hoax?  This "ad" has been circulating for some time, and I've read several versions of the same story, the cities of origin differing in each case, and the details changing from version to version. 

I'm not advocating violence against anyone.  And, I apologize if I've offended anyone by my "just desserts" comment.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 04:01:41 PM »

I agree that the vigilante probably went too far.  But if you've ever been in a life-threatening situation before, it's most definitely harrowing and life-changing.

Indeed it is. 

Have you ever had a knife or gun pulled on you and looked the attacker in the eyes and saw the raw energy and intent to do what he says he's gonna do?

Yes, with both a knife and a gun.   

I pray that you never do but I promise you this; you will walk away a different person!  And in many cases, attackers are rarely caught and positive ID'd, and even if they are, they're back on the streets with little impetus to amend their ways.  So the way I see it, the knife wielder wasn't given any hardship that night.  He was given a most precious gift: his life.

I don't disagree that such experiences will impact a person.  On the other hand, they need not make one violent nor turn one into a vigilante against bystanders who had committed the sole sin of having poor taste in car decoration.  Anger and vengeance never serve for long-term healing of a victim of a crime.   
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »

Am I the only one that thinks this is a hoax?  This "ad" has been circulating for some time, and I've read several versions of the same story, the cities of origin differing in each case, and the details changing from version to version. 

I'm not advocating violence against anyone.  And, I apologize if I've offended anyone by my "just desserts" comment.

Authenticity: Undetermined. http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/mugger.asp

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »

c) I didn't say I didn't know a pimp if I saw one...I said you wouldn't know a pimp if you saw one because you apparently are suspicious of anyone with trendy, obnoxious automobile accessories.  These people have been my neighbors. 

Slow down, Ralph Malph, you're making some assumptions here.  First, I never said I know what a pimp looks like did I?  I simply said I'm suspicious of anyone in a "pimp mobile".  And I'm sure you know that a "pimp mobile" rarely describes the vehicle of an actual pimp; you proved that for me by showcasing your favorite show "Pimp My Ride".  Which leads me to my second point- there's a big difference between what's commonly understood as a "pimp mobile" and the vehicles that appear on said show.  So, before you respond with anymore false accusations, take a moment and think it through first.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 07:46:07 PM »

The guy who supposedly posted the ad may not have exercised the soundest of judgement, but he wasn't the attacker. 

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 08:08:33 PM »

Slow down, Ralph Malph, you're making some assumptions here.  First, I never said I know what a pimp looks like did I?  I simply said I'm suspicious of anyone in a "pimp mobile".
Yet even this statement presents a prejudice, in that you've automatically prejudged anyone who drives what you call a pimp mobile.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 09:03:44 PM »

Meh.  Probably fake; it's too perfect a retribution to be real life.

What needed to happen, if he actually did hold up the mugger at gunpoint, is have him stay spread-eagle on the ground while he called the police.  Odds are the mugger was already in the system for something else, so guy-with-concealed-weapon-and-girlfriend would easily trump thug-with-record's story.

Respect for law and order while maintaining your ability to defend yourself by bearing arms: that's a civil society.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 10:50:03 PM »

The guy who supposedly posted the ad may not have exercised the soundest of judgement, but he wasn't the attacker. 
If we are to believe his story, he most certainly was.

Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »

Respect for law and order while maintaining your ability to defend yourself by bearing arms: that's a civil society.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement.  I will put it down to a cultural difference and leave it at that.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »

I couldn't disagree more with this statement.  I will put it down to a cultural difference and leave it at that.

Some of the deeply engraved cultural differences between Americans and those from other, similar Western nations are amazing sometimes, eh?  I wouldn't say one is better than the other as both have merits and faults, but it is eye-opening nonetheless. 
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 11:49:31 AM »

Many of my Japanese friends credit the large number of semi-employed-yet-very-armed Samurai several hundred years ago for their nation's exquisite manners.  Basically, if you were from a lower class and annoyed a wandering Samurai... whack!  Manners became a survival technique well into the modern era, though some Japanese complain that the West has eroded their values in this regard.

Manners are a means to an end.  When you can get what you want without manners, you will drop them indeed. 

Manners from Heaven by Quentin Crisp ought to be mandatory reading for teenagers.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »

What needed to happen, if he actually did hold up the mugger at gunpoint, is have him stay spread-eagle on the ground while he called the police.  Odds are the mugger was already in the system for something else, so guy-with-concealed-weapon-and-girlfriend would easily trump thug-with-record's story.

Yup, you betcha!!! This is a bedrock principle of the great United States of America! And, I am not being sarcastic. God bless America; the last hope for freedom in the world.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »

Probably good to agree to disagree; culture is powerful, indeed.  Would you mind commenting on why you disagree with

(1) Leaving the law enforcement to the law enforcers and

(2) Using firearms -- legally registered and regulated ones -- in order to, with restraint so as to preclude vigilante-style vengeance, keep someone from stealing from and possibly harming you?

Thanks.

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2009, 03:05:38 PM »

Yup, you betcha!!! This is a bedrock principle of the great United States of America! And, I am not being sarcastic. God bless America; the last hope for freedom in the world.

Well, you agree with me about what I said, so...that's nice, but..."last hope for freedom in the world"... Undecided...forgive me if I don't join you in that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:06:05 PM by DavidBryan » Logged

Pravoslavbob
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »

Probably good to agree to disagree; culture is powerful, indeed.  Would you mind commenting on why you disagree with

(1) Leaving the law enforcement to the law enforcers

I don't disagree with this part.

(2) Using firearms -- legally registered and regulated ones -- in order to, with restraint so as to preclude vigilante-style vengeance, keep someone from stealing from and possibly harming you?

Thanks.

I'd rather not get into a discussion about this, if you don't mind.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:40:52 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Pravoslavbob
Archon

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »

Some of the deeply engraved cultural differences between Americans and those from other, similar Western nations are amazing sometimes, eh?  I wouldn't say one is better than the other as both have merits and faults, but it is eye-opening nonetheless. 

Indeed.

Punch
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 09:33:45 PM »

I believe that it has been debunked for quite some time.  Amazing how many people fall for this stuff.  Any trained and licensed carrier of a concealed weapon would not have acted that way, and would certainly not have been stupid enough to brag about it.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »

Amen.  The crimes committed by the "victim" carry a stiffer penalty than the mugging.  Interestingly, he would have been in less trouble if he just shot the mugger.

Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »

Thanks.

1) The "law enforcers" are not very good at what they do, and are often criminals themselves.

2) Agree with you, except that I see no reason to register or regulate them once I have been cleared as qualified to possess them.

Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »

Thanks.

1) The "law enforcers" are not very good at what they do, and are often criminals themselves.

2) Agree with you, except that I see no reason to register or regulate them once I have been cleared as qualified to possess them.
Hear, hear.  Cool

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »

Amen.  The crimes committed by the "victim" carry a stiffer penalty than the mugging.  Interestingly, he would have been in less trouble if he just shot the mugger.
Yes, because simply shooting him could be considered a reaction to the mugging, and as long as he had the proper paperwork to carry a concealed weapon, he has a strong case for self-defence. Once the danger is passed, however, self-defence ends, and everything he did to the mugger after the mugger stopped attacking him is a crime.

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 02:45:30 PM »

^^Absolutely agree.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: