OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 07:17:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: coptic calendar  (Read 1397 times) Average Rating: 0
demetrios

« on: December 04, 2003, 06:08:19 PM »

Embarrassed forgive my ignorance, but I have a question about the coptic calendar. I am really new to studdying all of this. but how exactly does the coptic calendar work? what is it like in comparrison to the old or new western calendars. I would just really like to learn about it from those who are enlightened on the subject.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 06:24:21 PM »

As far as I can tell, it is basically the Julian Calendar, but the months have different names, and there are a few interesting quirks which I don't think happen on the Julian.  Beyond that, I'm sorry, but I don't know much.  I hope some of our Coptic Orthodox posters will help answer this one.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 07:36:39 PM »

The Julian calender was based on the Coptic Calender, with the months renamed to be suitible for the Roman Empire.  I don't know if there are minor differences between the two beyond the month names.  There's an article on the Coptic calender at www.saintmark.com , but I can't get the site to load right now to see if it's of any use.
demetrios

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 01:18:03 AM »

thank you for the information. once again I am really not that filled in on some of these facts
Tags: calendar Coptic Orthodox Church OO calendars 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: