Author Topic: coptic calendar  (Read 1451 times)

Offline demetrios

coptic calendar
« on: December 04, 2003, 06:08:19 PM »
 :-[ forgive my ignorance, but I have a question about the coptic calendar. I am really new to studdying all of this. but how exactly does the coptic calendar work? what is it like in comparrison to the old or new western calendars. I would just really like to learn about it from those who are enlightened on the subject.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re:coptic calendar
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 06:24:21 PM »
As far as I can tell, it is basically the Julian Calendar, but the months have different names, and there are a few interesting quirks which I don't think happen on the Julian.  Beyond that, I'm sorry, but I don't know much.  I hope some of our Coptic Orthodox posters will help answer this one.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 07:36:39 PM »
The Julian calender was based on the Coptic Calender, with the months renamed to be suitible for the Roman Empire.  I don't know if there are minor differences between the two beyond the month names.  There's an article on the Coptic calender at www.saintmark.com , but I can't get the site to load right now to see if it's of any use.

Offline demetrios

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 01:18:03 AM »
thank you for the information. once again I am really not that filled in on some of these facts