Author Topic: coptic calendar  (Read 1476 times)

Offline demetrios

coptic calendar
« on: December 04, 2003, 06:08:19 PM »
 :-[ forgive my ignorance, but I have a question about the coptic calendar. I am really new to studdying all of this. but how exactly does the coptic calendar work? what is it like in comparrison to the old or new western calendars. I would just really like to learn about it from those who are enlightened on the subject.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re:coptic calendar
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 06:24:21 PM »
As far as I can tell, it is basically the Julian Calendar, but the months have different names, and there are a few interesting quirks which I don't think happen on the Julian.  Beyond that, I'm sorry, but I don't know much.  I hope some of our Coptic Orthodox posters will help answer this one.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 07:36:39 PM »
The Julian calender was based on the Coptic Calender, with the months renamed to be suitible for the Roman Empire.  I don't know if there are minor differences between the two beyond the month names.  There's an article on the Coptic calender at www.saintmark.com , but I can't get the site to load right now to see if it's of any use.

Offline demetrios

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 01:18:03 AM »
thank you for the information. once again I am really not that filled in on some of these facts