OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:29:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Many Forms of Buddhism  (Read 6732 times) Average Rating: 0
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »

Some people who are virulently secular in a Western context seem to have no problem with old Tibet's theocracy. I guess if it's an "enlightened" theocracy in a far away, enchanted land...

I think the fourteenth Dalai Lama is also good at telling such people what they want to hear.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »

Video

Don't know if all the quotes in that video are accurate. And, the Pope would certainly have agreed with many of the quotes attributed to the Dalai Lama. Still an interesting vid, IMO.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2011, 09:46:52 PM »

Video

Don't know if all the quotes in that video are accurate. And, the Pope would certainly have agreed with many of the quotes attributed to the Dalai Lama. Still an interesting vid, IMO.
Yes, the quotes (or at least their general meaning) are all accurate. From the perspective of Tibetan Buddhism, abortion, homosexual activity, and sexual indulgence: none of these will particularly accelerate you on your journey towards nirvana, or the end of suffering (but neither will they, by themselves, definitively prevent the realization of nirvana, either).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:47:35 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Hermogenes
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »

Zen Masters are known to occasionally hit people  Smiley
A lot of Western Buddhists aren't actually Buddhists on account of believing the truth of Lord Buddha's teachings. They want to have a spritual practice and believe Buddhist in one of the easier ones. (They should dig a little deeper...) I call them Un-Christians or Un-Jews, because their spritual practice is more about what they are not and what they do not believe than it is about what they do. Orthodoxy isn't devoid of this attitude. I know many who began their path to Orthodoxy because they didn't like what the Anglicans were doing or didn't like the updates in the Catholic church. They didn't necessarily feel drawn to Orthodoxy for what it is, but rather, more for what it is not.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: