OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 01:14:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attending my first Orthodox service?  (Read 6452 times) Average Rating: 0
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »

This quote is from "Facing East", by Frederica Mathewes-Green; a light hearted account about her journey to Orthodoxy:

"Something about Orthodoxy has immense appeal to men, and it's something that their wives- especially those used to worshiping in the softer evangelical style- are generally slower to get. The appeal of joining this vast, ancient, rock-solid communion must be something like the appeal of joining the marines. It's going to demand a hell of a lot out of you, and it's not going to cater to your individual whims, but when it's through with you you're going to be more than you ever knew you could be. It's going to demand, not death on the battle-field, but death to self in a million painful ways, and God is going to be sovereign. It's a guy thing. You wouldn't understand."

She goes on to give examples of wives she knew who were brought kicking and screaming into the Church by their husbands. It's not a rule or "how it should be" by any means, just a general trend. 

Ah, I see. A bit of reverse psychology going on in her account there, then? I love how as soon as someone says, 'it's a guy (girl) thing, you wouldn't understand', you immediately start thinking, 'oh yeah?'.

I guess you'll often have one partner who's keener on some new experience before the other partner, even if it's the Church. I just don't think my gender is what's stopping me from feeling that the Orthodox Church is right for me, after all, there are plenty of women converts on the forum, as well as men.

Perhaps you are just defending your own turf a bit ( Church of England)..That is perfectly understandable and actually a bit of a "guy thing"... I would do the same in reverse, I am sure.

I have learned that it is just best to be led by God. If you step out of your own way and just observe for a while it's amazing where you end up sometimes.

My new wife in Anglican and trying hard to become Orthodox for my sake but she is used to a whole different approach to religion and it is taking a while for her to get used to it...

BTW, Fredrica is very approachable. You may consider writing to her.

Oh, good luck to your wife then! Although I'm not trying to convert, it's nice to know of someone else in a somewhat similar situation  Smiley
Yes, I'm sure partly I'm just responding to something new and different.

Her advantage is that the Priest in my parish and his family were Episcopal before they converted. They even know some people in common.

Our priest is ex-Anglican too. It's one of the things that made me feel more comfortable going to the service.

I think quite a lot of people converted to Catholicism over the women priests issue in the Anglican Church, I guess some converted to Orthodoxy too.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »

I think quite a lot of people converted to Catholicism over the women priests issue in the Anglican Church, I guess some converted to Orthodoxy too.

A good friend of mine's father had been ordained an Anglican priest for two days when him and his wife said "Nope, can't do it." and became Orthodox instead. While he was in seminary, her father and a group of his classmates were upset with some of the changes going on in the Anglican Church (female ordination, ordination or practicing homosexuals, etc.) and started to research the Early Church. They all left the Anglican faith 2 days after being ordained.

So my friend and her family have been Orthodox since she was 8 y/o.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »

This quote is from "Facing East", by Frederica Mathewes-Green; a light hearted account about her journey to Orthodoxy:

"Something about Orthodoxy has immense appeal to men, and it's something that their wives- especially those used to worshiping in the softer evangelical style- are generally slower to get. The appeal of joining this vast, ancient, rock-solid communion must be something like the appeal of joining the marines. It's going to demand a hell of a lot out of you, and it's not going to cater to your individual whims, but when it's through with you you're going to be more than you ever knew you could be. It's going to demand, not death on the battle-field, but death to self in a million painful ways, and God is going to be sovereign. It's a guy thing. You wouldn't understand."

She goes on to give examples of wives she knew who were brought kicking and screaming into the Church by their husbands. It's not a rule or "how it should be" by any means, just a general trend. 

Ah, I see. A bit of reverse psychology going on in her account there, then? I love how as soon as someone says, 'it's a guy (girl) thing, you wouldn't understand', you immediately start thinking, 'oh yeah?'.

I guess you'll often have one partner who's keener on some new experience before the other partner, even if it's the Church. I just don't think my gender is what's stopping me from feeling that the Orthodox Church is right for me, after all, there are plenty of women converts on the forum, as well as men.

You can find the audio here:

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/podup/frederica/men_and_the_church (Men and the Church)

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »

Perhaps you are just defending your own turf a bit ( Church of England)..That is perfectly understandable and actually a bit of a "guy thing"... I would do the same in reverse, I am sure.

I have learned that it is just best to be led by God. If you step out of your own way and just observe for a while it's amazing where you end up sometimes.

My new wife in Anglican and trying hard to become Orthodox for my sake but she is used to a whole different approach to religion and it is taking a while for her to get used to it...

BTW, Fredrica is very approachable. You may consider writing to her.

Oh, good luck to your wife then! Although I'm not trying to convert, it's nice to know of someone else in a somewhat similar situation  Smiley
Yes, I'm sure partly I'm just responding to something new and different.

Her advantage is that the Priest in my parish and his family were Episcopal before they converted. They even know some people in common.

Our priest is ex-Anglican too. It's one of the things that made me feel more comfortable going to the service.

About a year ago I had some communication with a Catholic Priest who was formerly an Episcopal Priest. They allowed him to switch even though he is married. He said they make special exceptions for Anglican Priests who are already married. He was really gung ho for the Pope as I recall.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: