OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:51:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Russian parish in Nepal  (Read 1609 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: October 11, 2009, 09:28:05 AM »

First Russian Orthodox parish is established in�the capital city of Nepal�

October 10, 2009

The�Holy Synod on October 10, 2009 (log number 100)� decided to receive into the
jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church�a newly formed parish in Kathmandu,
Nepal named in honor of the icon of the Theotokos, "She who ripens the grain".

Archpriest Gennadiy Moroz, priest-in-charge of St. Thomas Church the Apostle
Church in New Delhi, India is charged with providing pastoral care to the newly
formed.�

Does anybody know whoose the parish was?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »

Here is the holy icon for which the parish is named.  It was painted at the request of Saint Seraphim of Sarov and resides in the Diveevo monastery.
CCTE

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian Patriarchate

Patriarch Daniel

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »

Here we go again with overlapping jurisdictions!
Nepal belongs to the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Singapore, under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Sorry, but: Typical Russian Imperialism....
Besides this, it is a greate news. Lord have mercy!

Sorry if my English is not perfect
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »

Nepal belongs to the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Singapore, under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Sorry, but: Typical Russian Imperialism....

Is there a Greek Church in Nepal?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:18:37 PM »

What a great pity that this parish will not have a priest living in Kathmandu but only irregular services from a visiting priest.  There is so much work that could be done there among the number of young Western seekers who pass through Kathmandu on their spiritual quest.

May God bless this parish richly.

1. Through The Eastern Gate - From Tibetan Buddhism to Orthodox Christianity

By Nilus Stryker
May 2, 2007

Read on the Webb at
http://strannik.com/watchful_gate/node/5
or
http://www.pravmir.com/article_216.html

-oOo-

2. Himalayan Ascent to Christ
By Ryassophore Monk Adrian

Read on the Web
http://www.pravmir.com/article_317.html
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »

Here is the holy icon for which the parish is named.  It was painted at the request of Saint Seraphim of Sarov and resides in the Diveevo monastery.

What a beautiful icon! Almost seems like it would be appropriate for a Ukrainian Church. Ya know, since Ukraine is known for its wheat fields and all...

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:46:03 AM »

Did Heorhij change his login name? Grin

Is there an Orthodox church in Nepal already under the Ecumencial Patriarch?

If not, then how can you say a country belongs to the Metropolis of Singapore and thus under the ecumenical patriarch without actually having a parish there?  Unless, of course, the EP intended to build one there and that alone should make it so, just like certain winners of certain peace prizes.  Wink

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »

Nepal belongs to the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Singapore, under the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Sorry, but: Typical Russian Imperialism...

So glad to see that we're playing dibs.  We might as well go ahead and drop "Catholic" out of the Creed.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 01:03:36 AM »

^I've got dibs on Easter Island for the Antiochians!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
CCTE

Jurisdiction: Romanian Patriarchate

Patriarch Daniel

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 01:06:23 AM »

Good question. I do not know the answer.

If not, then how can you say a country belongs to the Metropolis of Singapore and thus under the ecumenical patriarch without actually having a parish there?  Unless, of course, the EP intended to build one there and that alone should make it so, just like certain winners of certain peace prizes.  Wink
When they established the M. of Singapore, they announced that this will cover the Rep of Nepal.

Sorry if my English is not perfect
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 01:19:41 AM »

I think that we would not mind the claims of the Patriarch of the Barbarians (Canon 28 Chalcedon) to assume all ecclesiastical authority aorund the globe if he showed evidence that he is equal to the task - both in supporting what already exists and in undertaking missionary work.  But he cannot.  The Patriarchate is in dire straits.  It is basically run by a couple of dozen people.  It has limited access to funds and exists by donations.  It exists in a rundown quarter of modern Istanbul.  We bow down before the martyric witness of Constantinople but if the Russians have the resources to evangelise, let them do it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:20:10 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 02:20:35 AM »

Good question. I do not know the answer.

When they established the M. of Singapore, they announced that this will cover the Rep of Nepal.

The Phanar announced that it has plenary jurisdiction across the globe, but we're not buying it.  Example: saying the Church of Greece had jurisdiction over the Americas when no Greek bishop was anywhere near there, but the Russians (and Antiochians) already had a functioning Archdiocese with at least three bishops.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 07:09:36 PM »

Dangers to Christians in Kathmandu
Nepal Church Bomb Kills 2, Injures 8

5/26/2009
Zenit News Agency

The blast was so powerful that it literally sent people flying. We were just 15 minutes into the Mass.

KATHMANDU, Nepal (Zenit) - A bomb explosion in the middle of a Mass in a Kathmandu Catholic Church killed two parishioners and injured eight others.

The explosion took place Saturday morning in Assumption Catholic Church, reported UCA News, where some 300 parishioners were gathered.

Josh Niraula, a parishioner, noted: "The blast was so powerful that it literally sent people flying. We were just 15 minutes into the Mass."

Father Silas Bogati, the director of Caritas in Nepal and the priest who was celebrating the Mass, stated: "We could never imagine that someone could carry out such a cowardly act and kill and injure so many people.

"The Catholic Church in Nepal has always done good things for society. We have never hurt the feelings of any group or community."

On the contrary, he said, "we been having good religious harmony and some extremist group is trying to disturb this."

Bishop Anthony Sharma, the apostolic vicar of Nepal, confirmed that the Church has no enemies. He said, "We pray for those who died, their families, the injured and the perpetrators of the crime."

Celeste Joseph, a 15-year-old student, and Deepa Patrick, a woman in her late 20s who was visiting the city, were killed in the explosion.

Sunil Shrestha, another parishioner, reported: "The scene was horrific. Smoke engulfed the church as people ran helter-skelter. The injured were lying on the floor in pools of blood and I could hear women and children crying and shouting for help."

Threats

Amid the church debris were pamphlets belonging to an obscure Hindu group called the "Nepal Defense Army," which led the police to believe that the group took responsibility for the attack.

The group was also blamed for the murder of Salesian Father John Prakash Moyalan in eastern Nepal last year.

Father Bogati said, "We had received threats over the phone from this group about six months ago," but "we took them lightly."

The deputy inspector general of police, Arjun Jung Sahi, noted that the explosives were planted inside a pressure cooker, and left in a bag in the middle of the church.

Kedar Singh Bhandari, a police superintendent, assured the public that a search for the criminals is under way.

Unity

Shortly after the incident, the Catholics were joined by Hindu, Muslim and Protestant leaders who came to show solidarity with the victims.

Damodar Gautam, president of the Nepal chapter of the World Hindu Federation, Hindu leader Keshav Chaulagain, and Muslim leader Nazarul Hussain condemned the attack.

Over 30 protestant pastors met with Bishop Sharma and other Catholic priests, and decided to organize a nationwide peace rally on May 31.

Father Bogati explained: "We are holding prayers to show our solidarity and religious tolerance. We are also planning an all religious group rally this Sunday.

"The attack has created psychological fear among Christians. Some armed groups are trying to disturb religious harmony in Nepal but they will never be successful."

The country's prime minister, Madhav Kumar Nepal, joined other politicians and religious leaders to participate in a prayer service for the victims on Sunday, the day after the explosion.

Kumar, who was inaugurated today in his position, condemned the attack and set up an inquiry to bring the criminals to justice as one of his first acts in office. The defense army issued demands for the restoration of Nepal's Hindu monarchy, overthrown last year.

Caritas reported that there has been little history of religious conflict in Nepal, where over 80% of the 30 million people are Hindu, while 10% are Buddhist and 4.2% are Muslim. There are some 10,000 Catholics in the country, around 0.5% of the population.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »

Did Heorhij change his login name? Grin

Sorry. I don't understand what are you implying. Care to elucidate?

I am not against Russians or the Russian Orthodox Church. Let her open her parishes in Vanuatu, Greenland, Antarctica and elsewhere.

I realize that on some occasions, this will cause frictions with HAH Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, and I regret about that, but I am not taking any sides.

On the other hand, I DO take sides when my country, Ukraine, is being artificially, anti-historically, torn away from her Mother Church, Constantinople, and tied to the jurisdiction that took >100 years to be recognized, the jurisdiction that, for being eveniually recognized, bribed the Constantinople Patriarch with game skins and pieces of gold (about whose number the Patriarch bitterly complained that he had been cheated), for which atrocious misdeed the Patriarch Dionisius was later dethroned...

But then, who of us can argue, when that jurisdiction has its throne in the country that has more ballistic nuclear missiles than the US, and the country whom quite a number of confused, misguided Westerners view as the antagonist of the "Western" decadence and secularism...

Love never fails.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: