OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:13:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gunpowder a Petroleum Product?  (Read 2809 times) Average Rating: 0
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« on: October 02, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »

CONTEXT NOTE:  This thread started here:  what event is this icon depicting  -PtA

I do not see how Christ can bless gunpowder, or the use of any other petroleum product.

Forgive, brother John
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:04:10 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »

I do not see how Christ can bless gunpowder, or the use of any other petroleum product.

Forgive, brother John

Funny, because there are no firearms except for two in the background of that photo (oh, and they aren't really recognizable as firearms)...
You fail once again my friend...
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »

Forgive, brother John

And yet I do see how he can.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »

Forgive, brother John

Gunpowder doesn't have any petroleum product in it.  It's made of charcoal, potassium nitrate and sulfur.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 07:30:56 PM »

Forgive, brother John

Thank you, Brother John, for reminding us that petroleum is seen as a great evil by Old Believers and must be completely avoided.

"Petroleum products (like plastics, synthetic clothing and man-made chemicals) are formed by the damned dead remains of people, plants and animals that were trapped underground from things like Noah’s flood or Korah, etc. We should not even touch such things due to them being spiritually defiling. Those things are unholy, evil, wicked, unclean and toxic, to say the least. Petroleum is poison. From the earliest times we have known that the remains of godly people turn white and are fragrant, while the remains of the damned turn black and stink. The Industrial Revolution would never have happened if not for the dead from the Great Flood. People generally return to the dust that they were made from, but petroleum is incorrupt, still retaining an example of their curse, by not returning to dust."

Continue reading at
http://oldbelievers.wetpaint.com/page/Petroleum+Warning

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:32:29 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 07:39:11 PM »

Old Believers must now believe in Internet dating since the link Father Ambrose provided was full of Internet dating ads which aren't blocked from the site I was using.   Roll Eyes

So when I put the descendants of the Great Flood in my car, I will remember the girl in the red blouse I saw on the Old Believers Wiki website.   Wink
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »

Gunpowder doesn't have any petroleum product in it.  It's made of charcoal, potassium nitrate and sulfur.

Sulfur is a petroleum product, nobody can say guns are not made with petroleum.

Forgive, brother John
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:52:52 PM by Hopeful Faithful » Logged

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 01:28:08 AM »

Sulfur is a petroleum product, nobody can say guns are not made with petroleum.

Forgive, brother John

Sulfur is NOT a petroleum product; rather, it is a chemical element unto itself.  Its atomic number is 16, which puts it right under oxygen on the Periodic Table.  It can be mined in its elemental state in such places as hot springs and volcanic regions.  Sulfur is also a component of a number of compounds, many of which are not the product of biological activity, such as sulfur dioxide, sulfuric acid, and many metal sulfides.  Yes, hydrogen sulfide, one of the gases that give rotten eggs and flatulence their characteristic stench and a deadly poison in high concentrations, is often found in natural gas and other petroleum distillates, but it is also a frequent product of volcanic activity.  This isn't elemental sulfur, however.  Therefore, John, in light of the facts I've detailed above, I find your assertion that sulfur is a petroleum product totally false and woefully ignorant of all the facts about sulfur.

Sources:  << http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur >> << http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide >>
Hopeful Faithful

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »

Thank you, brother John, for reminding us that petroleum is seen as a great evil by Old Believers and must be completely avoided.

"Petroleum products (like plastics, synthetic clothing and man-made chemicals) are formed by the damned dead remains of people, plants and animals that were trapped underground from things like Noah’s flood or Korah, etc. We should not even touch such things due to them being spiritually defiling. Those things are unholy, evil, wicked, unclean and toxic, to say the least. Petroleum is poison. From the earliest times we have known that the remains of godly people turn white and are fragrant, while the remains of the damned turn black and stink. The Industrial Revolution would never have happened if not for the dead from the Great Flood. People generally return to the dust that they were made from, but petroleum is incorrupt, still retaining an example of their curse, by not returning to dust."

Continue reading at

It is not possible to avoid petroleum products, so that is a misleading statement. But petroleum should be shunned. The industrialist minded Old Believers have no problem with using petroleum, but then they lost their identity as Old Believers for such tangents.  Ever since the Industrial Revolution practically everything is made with Petroleum. We cannot say that something is made without the use of petroleum. Speaking out against the dastardly deeds of petroleum use is the only reasonable option for the person who desires to obey God. Let us hope we will all be doers of what is right. For updates and corrections without all the advertisements at that link please refer to the source page here http://mymartyrdom.com/petro.htm

Forgive, brat Ioann
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:38:03 PM by Hopeful Faithful » Logged

Hopeful Faithful

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 01:47:33 PM »

Old Believers must now believe in Internet dating since the link Father Ambrose provided was full of Internet dating ads which aren't blocked from the site I was using.   Roll Eyes

So when I put the descendants of the Great Flood in my car, I will remember the girl in the red blouse I saw on the Old Believers Wiki website.   Wink

That web site was begun by a person with a group of Old Believers who accepted New-Rite Orthodox clergy. I did contribute content to that site before the advertisement got out of hand, now I refer everyone to the sources of the content, as you might have noticed. Strict Old Believers shun all devilish petroleum products and do not bother with any website. It is not possible to get away from all the spiritually polluted air made by petroleum users, but it is possible to shun, rebuke and repent from such nonsense. But hearts have grown cold these days.

Forgive, brother John
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:03:51 PM by Hopeful Faithful » Logged

Hopeful Faithful

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

Volcanic activity comes from, or goes through, where petroleum resides and is a consequential happening. All the ignorant conclusions that people come to these days are a unquestionably a woe. Besides, everything around us is infected by petroleum these days, there is no getting away from it. We should not delude ourselves into thinking otherwise. May we all begin to make a good repentance from all the wickedness of our days before it is too late.

Forgive, brother John
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:04:54 PM by Hopeful Faithful » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »

Thank you, brother John, for reminding us that petroleum is seen as a great evil by Old Believers and must be completely avoided.

Continue reading at

It is not possible to avoid petroleum products, so that is a misleading statement. But petroleum should be shunned. The industrialist minded Old Believers have no problem with using petroleum, but then they lost their identity as Old Believers for such tangents.  Ever since the Industrial Revolution practically everything is made with Petroleum. We cannot say that something is made without the use of petroleum. Speaking out against the dastardly deeds of petroleum use is the only reasonable option for the person who desires to obey God. Let us hope we will all be doers of what is right. For updates and corrections without all the advertisements at that link please refer to the source page here http://mymartyrdom.com/petro.htm

Forgive, brat Ioann

Continuing to cite yourself as an authority on these matters?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »

Volcanic activity comes from, or goes through, where petroleum resides and is a consequential happening.
Volcanic activity a consequence of petroleum formation?  Where are you getting your facts?  Have you no understanding of plate tectonics and the movement of (sulfur containing) magma deep under the crust of the earth?

Regarding sulfur in magma and volcanoes, are you not aware that we've seen clear evidence of sulfur in the volcanoes of Jupiter's moon Io? ( http://www.solarviews.com/cap/jup/PIA02547.htm )  To my knowledge, we've not seen any signs of life there.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »

Even if sulfur had to "pass through" petroleum, it would still have to be purified in order to be used in making gunpowder, at least in making gunpowder that was reliable. 

The more petroleum that is present in gunpowder, the less reliable and efficient it becomes. 

You really just don't know how to admit that you are wrong, do you, Mr Alden.  I can totally respect your conviction that things used for violent purposes should not or could not be blessed by Christ.  I cannot, however, respect your inability to admit your own ignorance, let alone your continued hypocrisy. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »

See attached.  I love the ROC.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:50:10 PM by Punch » Logged

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »

Strict Old Believers shun all devilish petroleum products and do not bother with any website.

So why do you continue to post here, John? And why do you maintain a website of your own, and use a computer made of "devilish petroleum products" ?
Carole
Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic (ish)

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »

Forgive, brat Ioann

How exactly does one shun petroleum without avoiding it?

I'm sorry - perhaps I shouldn't but this thread has actually made me laugh.  I just don't see how anyone can promote this type of willful ignorance with a straight face.

Carole
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »

I'm sorry - perhaps I shouldn't but this thread has actually made me laugh.  I just don't see how anyone can promote this type of willful ignorance with a straight face.

Former Polish Education Deputy-Minister claimed that Wawel Dragon tales prove that people coexisted with dinosaurs, he wanted to ban spreading homosexuality at schools and to dismiss homosexual teachers, he also wanted to ban teaching Darwin's Theory.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »

It is not possible to avoid petroleum products, so that is a misleading statement. But petroleum should be shunned.

Then get rid of your computer, my friend. If you do not shun such an instrument (made with copious amounts of petroleum), your behavior here is hypocritical.  Wink

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Tags: Old Believers gunpowder 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: