OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:11:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: What was your previous religious background before coming to Orthodoxy?
I've always been Orthodox! - 26 (12.4%)
Roman Catholicism - 47 (22.4%)
Protestant - 88 (41.9%)
Nontrinitarian (LDS, JW, etc.) - 2 (1%)
No religion (atheist, agnostic, etc.) - 28 (13.3%)
Other religion (do tell!) - 19 (9%)
Total Voters: 178

Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your previous religious background? (poll)  (Read 19499 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: October 01, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »

I want to get a good representation of our Orthodox community...Vote away!  Smiley
believer74

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:43:36 PM »

Roman Catholic, with a dash of Mormon! I'm sure I'm unique on this board.  Grin
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:09:06 AM »

Rastafarian.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:09:16 AM by Ukiemeister » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:14:04 AM »

Lutheran - the touchy-feely, but still doctrinally moderate and liturgical ELCA kind from the 1960's through the early 1980's.  Not the 'going to hell in a handbasket' kind of late. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:16:37 AM »

Um, can I choose options one and three???

Baptised Orthodox as an infant, but made a detour through the Baptist Church.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 04:34:33 AM »

Baptised an orthodox as infant, orthodox during childhood with a period of agnosticism and recovered orthodox.

This user no longer posts here.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 04:50:20 AM »

Hey, the cradles are catchin' up! Cheesy
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:16:26 AM »

Baptized in the United Methodist Church at age 11.

Baptized into Charles Stanley's Church (First Baptist Church of Atlanta) at age 19.

Joined a Charismatic Presbyterian Church (not many of those around!) at age 21.

Entered a Dispensational Bible College at age 22.

Joined a Calvinist PCA Church at age 27.

From about the age of 30 I began to find more spiritual and Chrisitian truth in the Rastafarian worldview than I ever did in all my previous "Christian" experiences. But I never worshipped Haile Selassie. Instead, it was through his teachings and example that I finally found the true Christian Church.

Baptized into the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church with my wife and our three children at the age of 39!

So, I am finally home! And yet I am just beginning! Smiley

Selam
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 05:18:25 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 05:55:45 AM »

I was baptized RC. We stopped going to the Catholic church when I was about 3. When I was growing up I was sent to a Spanish speaking United Methodist Church. Became interested in various religions as an adolescent and started visting different churches. Be came active in the RCC and was a good Catholic until I was about 20 or 21. Stopped going to church for a couple of years. Started going to an MCC when I came out. Started attending an Orthodox church in my mid 20's, almost joined but didn't cuz the priest was mean to me when my dad died. Became an Episcopalian at 28. Was a fairly devoted Episcopalian until 2004, became interrested in Orthodoxy and became Orthodox in about 2005. Realized that if Orthodoxy didn't work for me, Christianity and me weren't a good fit. When my sig. other started voicing doubts about his church, and expressing an interest in Judaism,  I said "sure". Plan to go to the mikvah in 6-8 weeks.

Proverbs 22:7
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:51:54 AM »

Lutheran (Church of Norway), which is liberal, but fairly high church. It's more or less the same as the Anglican Church in Britain.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 07:12:37 AM »

wow, it appears this question isn't as simple as I thought it would be for many of you!  Wink
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 07:29:40 AM »

I'm Italian, I was born in Italy in 1984. I was soon baptised in the Roman Catholic Church, as almost all of the Italian children in my generation.
I grew up with a strong sense of piety, but when I first understood that my church was corrupted and that there was a long list of privileges for the Pope, I began to study the Bible individually. My initial sympathies where for the Waldesian Evangelical Church, but as I continued studying the Bible I moved towards more "traditional" churches since I understood the Bible clearly instituted Tradition as a source for belief. My first appreciations were for the Anglican-Episcopalian and the Old Catholic churches. When I was realizing their lack of liturgical tradition (especially in the administration of the sacraments) I got in touch with Orthodoxy through my phylological studies, and I'm now ready to enter the Orthodox Church!

In Christ,   Alex

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 07:37:36 AM »

Born and raised secular humanist, in the former USSR, in a family of Soviet-era liberal progressive-minded urban intellectuals with no religious faith whatsoever (except one sister of my grandmother was a devout church-going Orthodox, but neither she nor any other relative of mine ever spoke with me about her beliefs - I learned about her faith only after her death in 1975). Strangely, paradoxically, have always had a strong interest in Christ and Christianity, felt an attraction to everything in Christianity except the preachy-moralistic stuff, to which I, thank God, have never been exposed.

Briefly attended a Ukrainian Orthodox mission parish in Seattle, WA after my move to the USA. Then, after transfer to Mississippi, wandered, visiting several Evangelical congregations and even talking to Jehovah's Witnesses. Eventually was baptised at the Trinity Presbyterian Church (PC-USA). Rather quickly became dissatisfied with what is called in the US a "liberal" modernist version of Protestantism.

Was accepted into the Orthodox Church in February 2007, through the Holy Mystery of Chrismation. Until September 2007, attended a parish of the Orthodox Metropoly of Western Europe and the Americas (or the so-called Milan Synod). In fall 2007, became a member of the Holy Trinity and St. John the Theologian parish of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in the USA. Remain there to this day, attending Divine Liturgies in Aberdeen, MS.

Love never fails.
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »

Baptized Orthodox as an infant.

Spent my childhood and teens not going to any church or synagogue, just celebrating Orthodox & Jewish holidays, and reading the Bible (I'm half Jewish & half Greek).

Was an Evangelical Protestant in my early twenties.

Now in my late twenties I've been a Nazarene for 4 years, though I visit my local Greek Orthodox parish on some Sundays.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 10:06:56 AM »

Cradle Orthodox!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »

Evangelical all of my life. Converted to the Orthodox Church eighteen years ago (but I'm still Evangelical at heart).

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »

Baptized as an infant into Roman Catholicism and never went to church except on Christmas. Converted to Orthodoxy at age 10 but we still didn't attend church often and when I turned about 15, I felt that something was missing in my life and it was because we didn't go to church much and it started to matter for me so I started convincing my mom to go to church but we didn't go every Sunday but when I was 16 and got a car I started going to church all the time usually by myself.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 12:00:14 PM »

Evangelical, mostly.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »

I was baptized RC. We stopped going to the Catholic church when I was about 3. When I was growing up I was sent to a Spanish speaking United Methodist Church. Became interested in various religions as an adolescent and started visting different churches. Be came active in the RCC and was a good Catholic until I was about 20 or 21. Stopped going to church for a couple of years. Started going to an MCC when I came out. Started attending an Orthodox church in my mid 20's, almost joined but didn't cuz the priest was mean to me when my dad died. Became an Episcopalian at 28. Was a fairly devoted Episcopalian until 2004, became interrested in Orthodoxy and became Orthodox in about 2005. Realized that if Orthodoxy didn't work for me, Christianity and me weren't a good fit. When my sig. other started voicing doubts about his church, and expressing an interest in Judaism,  I said "sure". Plan to go to the mikvah in 6-8 weeks.

Not to stray too far off of the beaten path, but I'm curious what finally made you decide to leave Orthodoxy?
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 09:09:30 PM »

Raised Nazarene.  Was an agnostic from age 14 to 21.  Converted to Orthodoxy at 23. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 09:18:21 PM »

I was a Baptist until age 27. I'm the first in my family (that I know of) to leave my evangelical roots.

Now I wish I would have selected the option to allow multiple choices for  voting! Oh well...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:19:47 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 10:27:40 PM »

Baptized Orthodox as an infant.

Spent my childhood and teens not going to any church or synagogue, just celebrating Orthodox & Jewish holidays, and reading the Bible (I'm half Jewish & half Greek).

Was an Evangelical Protestant in my early twenties.

Now in my late twenties I've been a Nazarene for 4 years, though I visit my local Greek Orthodox parish on some Sundays.

Forgive me for asking.  How has Hellenism influenced your decision to become and remain Nazarene, if any?  Answer by PM if you prefer.   Smiley
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »

Hey, the cradles are catchin' up! Cheesy

Not exactly.  So far, Protestants have a 5 to 2 3-1 advantage in the poll.

Edited for content.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:35:57 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »

A few things pushed and grabbed me.

Novus Ordo fatigue very early on, in my case because I was partly raised (that means when my parents did go to church this is what I was exposed to) provincial, conservative Anglican...

The rest.

I like this kind of church.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 10:33:59 PM »

I was in the Church of Christ until I was six, then baptised into the Disciples of Christ. I stayed there until I was eleven and moved to the Assemblies of God until I was eighteen. After that, I came to a local Baptist church which served a free full breakfast in the morning in college. Sometimes I'd stick around for the actual service, but mostly not. My senior year of college I was invited to the Orthodox parish, and I've been there for about five years now.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:13 PM »

Born and raised Assembly of God.  Then, at 17 when I got my first car, I stopped going to church altogether.  At 23, I converted to Islam and remained there for nearly 10 years.  When I began doubting the Qur'an, my cradle-Muslim wife began doubting our marriage and we ended up divorcing after 5+ years.  By way of Buddhism and Hinduism, I discovered Eastern Orthodoxy (or I should say Christ introduced my to Eastern Orthodoxy).  It's been a rough ride since October 9, 2004, and at times you'd be hard pressed to find any signs of Christ in me (I have a fierce Irish temper), but I know in my nous that I'm home.  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »

Raise religious (Christian) in a mixed Baptist/Catholic family. Baptized Roman Catholic. Although I continue to be in communion with the Roman Patriarch I have grown to have a deep affection to Orthodox Spirituality and Piety and frequent an OCA Parish.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Hamartolos
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »

Roman Catholic...even was accepted to the most prominent Seminary in North America....Oh how the Lord had such a different plan!!  Glory to God on High for all things!!  Lord, have mercy!!

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 02:18:47 AM »

Born and raised Assembly of God.  Then, at 17 when I got my first car, I stopped going to church altogether.  At 23, I converted to Islam and remained there for nearly 10 years.  When I began doubting the Qur'an, my cradle-Muslim wife began doubting our marriage and we ended up divorcing after 5+ years.  By way of Buddhism and Hinduism, I discovered Eastern Orthodoxy (or I should say Christ introduced my to Eastern Orthodoxy).  It's been a rough ride since October 9, 2004, and at times you'd be hard pressed to find any signs of Christ in me (I have a fierce Irish temper), but I know in my nous that I'm home.  

Wow! What a powerful story of faith and divine providence. You are quite an inspiration. I thank God for your strength and perseverance through such difficulties and spiritual crises. It shows us all that the mercy of God endureth forever. Many people would have given up on God and forsaken religion (I have a dear friend who has done just that), but you are living proof of authentic faith. I see Christ in you my brother!

Selam
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:19:19 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 02:39:30 AM »

Raised Nazarene.  Was an agnostic from age 14 to 21.  Converted to Orthodoxy at 23. 
I'm aware now of two different denominations of whom their members call themselves Nazarene: (poster) Nazarene's Messianic Judaism and the (Wesleyan) Church of the Nazarene (within which I was introduced to Christianity as a child).  To eliminate confusion, I would like to ask that you and all those who subsequently claim to have been Nazarene identify which of these two you were.

Personally, I received my first spiritual formation in the Church of the Nazarene until I moved to Oregon two months before my 14th birthday.  Once here, I joined the Evangelical Church of North America (ECNA), a more conservative German Methodist denomination that refused to be a party to the merger that produced the United Methodist Church.  Through my college years, I was an active non-member of a Quaker church of the Northwest Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends, an association that diverged from traditional silent-meeting Quakerism to some degree to embrace more of a Wesleyan Holiness world view; this should be seen as no coincidence since I was at that time a student at the college (now university) named after the founder of the Society of Friends: George Fox.  After graduating from college I returned to the ECNA for three years, then joined a non-denominational megachurch for six months.  From there I discovered the Orthodox Church through my self-initiated study of the history of Christianity, started attending a local OCA church and enrolled in their inquirer's class in September of 1996, and was chrismated at Pentecost the next year.  I am still an active member of that OCA parish I started attending about this time 13 years ago.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 02:54:06 AM »

I'm aware now of two different denominations of whom their members call themselves Nazarene: (poster) Nazarene's Messianic Judaism and the (Wesleyan) Church of the Nazarene (within which I was introduced to Christianity as a child).  To eliminate confusion, I would like to ask that you and all those who subsequently claim to have been Nazarene identify which of these two you were.

Personally, I received my first spiritual formation in the Church of the Nazarene until I moved to Oregon two months before my 14th birthday.  Once here, I joined the Evangelical Church of North America (ECNA), a more conservative German Methodist denomination that refused to be a party to the merger that produced the United Methodist Church.  Through my college years, I was an active non-member of a Quaker church of the Northwest Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends, an association that diverged from traditional silent-meeting Quakerism to some degree to embrace more of a Wesleyan Holiness world view; this should be seen as no coincidence since I was at that time a student at the college (now university) named after the founder of the Society of Friends: George Fox.  After graduating from college I returned to the ECNA for three years, then joined a non-denominational megachurch for six months.  From there I discovered the Orthodox Church through my self-initiated study of the history of Christianity, started attending a local OCA church and enrolled in their inquirer's class in September of 1996, and was chrismated at Pentecost the next year.  I am still an active member of that OCA parish I started attending about this time 13 years ago.

That's a cool story! I started reading George Fox's "Journal" a few years ago. Some of the stuff in there was great, but a lot of it was pretty scary. It really seemed like a spirit of subjectivism permeated it.

I was always fascinated by the Quakers because of their pacifism (shocking, I know Cheesy), and their anti-slavery work. But the idea of Church services being predicated on people stting together in silence until the "spirit moves" them to speak seemed very odd and perhaps dangerous.

Anyway, I'd love to know more about the Quakers and your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks for sharing.

Selam

mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »

baptised catholic, grew up in a catholic/baptist home. left church, joined luthern ELCA, left, then non-denom, left, started going back to catholic church,(didnt rejoin), started reading stuff, found orthodoxy, and still can't get off the fence!!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »

Which form of Buddhism?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 03:49:58 PM »

Which form of Buddhism?
Emptiness is form. Grin

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »

Baptized an RC, I was never really interested in religion as a kid, at least until my mid late teens.  I attended a very liberal Catholic grad school which taught me absolutely nothing about what the RCC believed in.  When I was 16, I begant o become interested in Christianity and eventually became "born again" and was baptized by immersion into a Baptist church.  This period of my life lasted about 4 months.  I then decided that the baptist were too unrealistic for me so I went over to the Episcopal church for about 6 months.  I was actually confirmed an Episcopalian since my parents had pulled me out of Catholic school at the end of my seventh grade year, before I was to make my confirmation.  I then went back to Catholicism for a while and made my confirmation in the RCC.  During this time, I became interested in the Eastern rite Catholics and started occasionally attending a Byzantine parish.  I had hoped to get a "tran sfer of rite" but the process was so complicated that I just started looking into Orthodoxy because the OC was easier to join.

I then decided to become Orthodox and studied under a very kind and holy ROCOR priest who brought me into the OC through re baptism.  I then was an Orthodox Christian for two years but, for various sad and sundry reasons, left and returned to the RC confession.  I then became very interested (almost obsessed with) traditional (Latin mass, anti Vatican II) Catholicism.  I wanted to attend a Latin mass and heavily indoctrinated myself into the trad RC perspective.  I couldn't go to a "TLM" because 1.  I don't drive due to bad vision in my left eye. 2.  The TLM was too far a way from me.  After about 7 years of wanting too real bad, I finally left the modern RC and started going to a Latin mass.  However things started to go really crazy after that point.  The priest ended up being a total fanatic.  Hepreached all kinds of extreme, crazy stuff like " don't look an unmarried woman in the eyes", "don't sleep in a comfortable bed", "mortify yourself", "live like a frugel person".  His messages sounded so drab and depressing.  The people in the parish also seemed a bit on the coltish side too.  They were all thin and pale looking and, when I addressed them about the problems I had with the priest extremism, they had the nerve to act like I was a "bad Catholic" for not going along unquestioningly with everything he said.

I left this church after that and really felt lost.  I went through a terrible period of mental problems all caused by my experiences at this church.  I then realized that the Catholic Church, whiter pure or post Vatican II was not for me.  I wanted to return to healing balm of authentic Christianity, free of the fundamentalism and delusions of the western confessions.  Since I had already belonged to this Church before, I decided to seriously consider re embracing Orthodox Christianity as the one, true, Church of Jesus Christ.

I have a great love for the Christian religion.  The Orthodox Church speaks to me as Christianity in its oldest and purest form.  In my journey across the wide world of Christian confessions, I experienced much, some good and a lot bad.  I love the Church but my approach tends to be more based on things like theology, liturgy, and history more then on the preachy moralism that seems to attract some.  I'm not against morality in Church but, after what I've been through, I'd rather have something with a more positive outlook.  This is a great thing about Orthodoxy, they don't proselytize like
RC's and prots do.  They have always preached a more positive message of hope and faith and love and not darkness and strictness and rules.  I've always had a great aversion to rules in my life.  I've always been the more creative type who has little patience for constraints imposed on me from without.  This probably has a lot to do with my Mediterranean backround which has influenced my life greatly. 

I hope that my journey to true Christianity may soon be complete.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:03:38 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »

Raised in no religion.

Began exploring different roads. Thought they all led to the same place.

Started moving down a Baha'i path.

Was introduced to Christianity through the Left Behind book (see? they ARE good for something). Began walking the Evangelical Protestant road.

Read Rome Sweet Home and began walking the path to Rome. Became more and more interested in Traditional Catholicism (especially SSPX). However, though I went to Mass, I never actually converted formally for certain reasons.

Became interested in Eastern catholicism, and so found Orthodoxy.

Am walking the straight path which is Orthodoxy (as an Inquirer).

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 05:24:05 PM »

There wasn't an option for more than one selection, so I just went with Roman Catholicism.

I was raised a Roman Catholic and a Southern Baptist simultaneously in my youth, or rather on a rotating basis.  My father's side is Southern Baptist, my mother's Roman Catholic.  I was baptized Roman Catholic in secret as a baby by my mother (against my father's wishes).  I was baptized again at age fifteen by my own volition in a Southern Baptist church after having the "born again" experience, although in fairness it was really based on a six month period of personal deliberation over whether or not I was seriously committed to Jesus Christ and really wanted to drastically change my life.  At that point I didn't fully understand my Roman Catholic upbringing, and everything at the Baptist church put the Roman Catholic church in a decidedly negative light.  Ultimately that ended up shaping my understanding of my Catholic upbringing in a very negative way.

After several years in a high school youth group in that Baptist church, I moved and ended up joining an 'inter-denominational' Christian church where I encountered all kinds of theology from the worship band leader's Wesleyan Christian Perfection to my Bible study leader's Five-Point Calvinism, including Total Depravity.  I became interested in traditional Reformation theology, which seemed deeper than the shallow Evangelical culture I was becoming increasingly disillusioned with.

Then eventually I became pretty apathetic and tired of the Christian culture I knew.  But I always knew that I wanted to know God, and that deep-down I loved Him.  I never gave that up.  I have spent the last several years in the secular academy studying world religions and mainly Christian history, albeit from a very critical slant.  I have also taken several courses on 'higher' Biblical criticism, and had just about driven a stake through the heart of Christianity altogether and was rather holding onto some vague notion of Jesus as an 'outsider rebel,' essentially crafted in my own image.  I was moving toward some sort of religious syncretism with a dash of transcendentalism.  I was a hollow shell.

Then one fateful Sunday a year and a half ago I attended my first Orthodox service on a whim with my brother-in-law, who had been attending for several years.  Very slowly a process of healing began, and it is still happening, and will continue to happen into eternity.  The depth of His love is infinite, and by the wounds of His Passion are the wounds of my iniquities mended.  The Church is now One, therefore I am now One in Christ.  Kyrie eleison; Christie eleison.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:27:41 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2009, 07:19:10 PM »

There wasn't an option for more than one selection, so I just went with Roman Catholicism.

I was raised a Roman Catholic and a Southern Baptist simultaneously in my youth, or rather on a rotating basis.  My father's side is Southern Baptist, my mother's Roman Catholic.  I was baptized Roman Catholic in secret as a baby by my mother (against my father's wishes).  I was baptized again at age fifteen by my own volition in a Southern Baptist church after having the "born again" experience, although in fairness it was really based on a six month period of personal deliberation over whether or not I was seriously committed to Jesus Christ and really wanted to drastically change my life.  At that point I didn't fully understand my Roman Catholic upbringing, and everything at the Baptist church put the Roman Catholic church in a decidedly negative light.  Ultimately that ended up shaping my understanding of my Catholic upbringing in a very negative way.

After several years in a high school youth group in that Baptist church, I moved and ended up joining an 'inter-denominational' Christian church where I encountered all kinds of theology from the worship band leader's Wesleyan Christian Perfection to my Bible study leader's Five-Point Calvinism, including Total Depravity.  I became interested in traditional Reformation theology, which seemed deeper than the shallow Evangelical culture I was becoming increasingly disillusioned with.

Then eventually I became pretty apathetic and tired of the Christian culture I knew.  But I always knew that I wanted to know God, and that deep-down I loved Him.  I never gave that up.  I have spent the last several years in the secular academy studying world religions and mainly Christian history, albeit from a very critical slant.  I have also taken several courses on 'higher' Biblical criticism, and had just about driven a stake through the heart of Christianity altogether and was rather holding onto some vague notion of Jesus as an 'outsider rebel,' essentially crafted in my own image.  I was moving toward some sort of religious syncretism with a dash of transcendentalism.  I was a hollow shell.

Then one fateful Sunday a year and a half ago I attended my first Orthodox service on a whim with my brother-in-law, who had been attending for several years.  Very slowly a process of healing began, and it is still happening, and will continue to happen into eternity.  The depth of His love is infinite, and by the wounds of His Passion are the wounds of my iniquities mended.  The Church is now One, therefore I am now One in Christ.  Kyrie eleison; Christie eleison.

"Kyrie Eleison."

Thanks for sharing that powerful testimony!

Selam

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2009, 09:53:17 PM »

For clarification, (this is of  course much too late  Tongue) since I didn't make possible the selection of multiple options, perhaps you could just choose your most predominant background, or the one you came from most recently.  If you were baptized Orthodox, went down a different path and eventually returned to the faith, I would consider you as one that has always been Orthodox and has found your way back home Wink
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2009, 10:33:55 PM »

Which form of Buddhism?

I could never make up my mind which one I thought worked better for me; Mahayana (specifically Ch'an [Zen] or Theravada.  There are several aspects of each that I truly find helpful to this day.  Aside from the Holy Bible, I still enjoy reading from the Dhammapada (I have several translations).  From time to time, I'll read a little from Eight Mindful Steps To Happiness by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana about how to practice the Eightfold Path.  But I also have several books on Zen as well.  I suppose if I had to choose (and Christianity wasn't an option), I would go with Theravada.   

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »

For clarification, (this is of  course much too late  Tongue) since I didn't make possible the selection of multiple options, perhaps you could just choose your most predominant background, or the one you came from most recently.
I just went in and tweaked the poll setup a bit so that voters can select multiple options and return to change their votes to check options they weren't able to check before--just click the "Remove Vote" link to reopen your vote so you can change it.  Hopefully, these changes will work. Wink
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:52:03 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 01:07:17 AM »

For clarification, (this is of  course much too late  Tongue) since I didn't make possible the selection of multiple options, perhaps you could just choose your most predominant background, or the one you came from most recently.
I just went in and tweaked the poll setup a bit so that voters can select multiple options and return to change their votes to check options they weren't able to check before--just click the "Remove Vote" link to reopen your vote so you can change it.  Hopefully, these changes will work. Wink

Thanks so much!
Nyssa The Hobbit
Used to be OrthodoxFairyQueen
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian as of 1/10/09
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 02:14:26 AM »

I was raised in the Church of the Nazarene (Wesleyan).  When I moved to Wisconsin, I discovered that Nazarenes were rare outside of big cities (where I did not live), and I was going to marry a Lutheran, so we wanted to find something we were both comfortable with.  In the process of finding such a church, we tried Independent Bible (only to find it wasn't interdenominational but, rather, fundamentalist), Evangelical Free (until our local congregation began turning Calvinist), Presbyterian (USA) (not really Calvinist but more liberal than we thought), then finally gave up and realized there was no church we could both feel comfortable in.  So DH went back to the Lutheran church, while I discovered Orthodoxy.

Author of "Tojet" (fantasy) and "The Lighthouse" (Gothic), info available at my website URL.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2009, 02:58:28 AM »

Cradle Pentecostal.

GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2009, 06:56:38 AM »

Though baptized and raised Orthodox, I've also been a kind of a weak atheist with certain New Age traits and a bit of spiritualism. Luckily, I was young enough, so I didn't get involved in any cults and organizations.

Rastafarian.
Lol, no kidding?

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: