OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 01:34:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman Catholic?Orthodox Catholic Reunion Near???  (Read 7385 times) Average Rating: 0
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »

I think I arrived at a possible conclusion on the matter. Recently Pope Benedict XVI said that the Orthodox Church is 'incomplete'. The motivation for this 'incompleteness' has been identified by him in the refusal of Papal authority. The only way to justify this is that the Pope understands the Orthodox and the Eastern Catholics to have in their theology a 'seed' of that Apostolic Tradition the Vatican requires to all the faithful. For example, even if the Eastern Catholics don't believe in purgatory, they acknowledge a condition of theosis which is affected by prayers of the dead... Knowing the RC understanding of a progressive growth of the church's faith - i.e. the fact that the church gets with time a better understanding of the Apostolic Faith and thus defines her doctrines over time - that would imply that the Pope considers the Eastern Catholic churches not to be heretic, but just "less aware" of the doctrines they hold, so that they correctly acknowledge what is essential to the doctrine of purgatory (i.e. purification of the departed and prayers for the dead) but can't understand in their own mindset the fullness of that doctrine (i.e. purgatory as an intermediate state where a mystical fire burns the souls to purge them, or the indulgences system, for example). In this case, the Pope might believe that communion with the Pope is sufficient to "complete" what these churches lack in understanding (but not in actual faith). In other words, the Pope considers these churches to be as full in faith as the First Millennium Church before those dogmas were defined: they were not lacking faith (how could the infallible Church be "lacking" or confess heresy?), they were just unaware of all the doctrinal implications.

I still don't understand how the Pope can require to the Western Church a heavier burden then to the Eastern, of course provided that my understanding be correct, a thing I can't even presume.

In Christ,    Alex

Alex:

Your response is very well thought out and very well written.  But in the end you come off sounding more like a apologist for the RCC than someone who is considering joining the OCC.  If what you have printed is what you really believe, than can you explain to us why you are considering becoming Orthodox Catholic rather than Greek Catholic?  What is the difference between the sui juris churches under Rome and Orthodox Catholicity that makes you choose Orthodoxy over them?

Orthodoc
Seems like he was simply presenting what he believes the Catholic position to be. This does not mean that he was arguing in favor of the Catholic position. I can tell people what the EO position regarding the essence/energies distinction is and even explain how EOs defend this view without acctually arguing in favor of that view myself nor accepting it.

Exactly what I meant.

PS: I didn't say I MANAGED to persuade you... I just said I was trying to show it, which is entirely different.

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »

Dear brother Orthodoc,
I've evidently been misunderstood. On the contrary, I was showing the great relativism of the RCC in accepting two different professions of faith, and I was trying to assert how the Vatican is more concerned in submitting all Christians to the personal power of the Pope then to the true contents of faith. If they impose Filioque and Purgatory to the Latins, why shouldn't the Oriental be bound to these doctrines too? On the contrary, if pronouncing the Filioque and confessing Purgatory is not essential, why is required to the Latin Church? In substance, I think that this relativism proves Papal fallibility... or better, Papal attempts to full power over all Christendom.
Until the Latin Church confesses Filioque and Papal infallibility, they are heretic, and I can't be in communion with them. At least, I don't like compromises in my faith. I was just trying to show to Papist how faith is compromised in the RCC. That's all.

In Christ,   Alex

PS: I don't consider the Eastern Catholics to possess the true Christian Faith. Being in communion with an heretic is like confessing heresy, to me.

Thank you Alex.  Now I understand.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »

You're welcome, Orthodoc!

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: