OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:23:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icon question (Nimbus)  (Read 1542 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: September 29, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »

On the halo/nimbus of Christ are often seen the Greek letters that symbolize the name given when Moses asked God His name at the burning bush.

God said "I am"

The letters look a lot like the English "W" "O" "N"

I have seen the letters depicted in different orders on different icons.

OWN, or WON.

Which is correct, or does it really not matter?  Is it preferred those letters be on the icon, or can they be omitted?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:20:28 PM »

I imagine this is a stylistic choice as to the placement of the letters.  One can either read them in a clockwise fashion (first one) or in a "regular left-right, top-down" fashion.  I could, of course, be wrong, but I have certainly seen both ways in a wide variety of icons of our Lord spanning many centuries.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:26:36 PM »

I don't think that I've ever personally seen it as "O-W-N" (see second picture), but I guess that it's correct.
"WON" could make a good pun in English though. Tongue

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »

For reasons probably lost in history, Slavic iconographic tradition generally orders the letters as WON, Greek icons as OWN. The order of the letters does not matter - what is most important is that they are there. There are some very early icons of Christ where no letters are present, but, certainly since the iconoclastic upheavals (in essence, the iconoclastic position denied the full humanity and full divinity of Christ) and the final restoration of iconography, the presence of the letters and the cross made up of nine lines in Christ's halo is as important as the painting of the three stars of perpetual virginity on the maphorion of the Mother of God. These symbols have great doctrinal and theological importance, and therefore should not be omitted.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »

Thank you very much for the excellent explanation!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Margaret Anne

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: GREEK

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 11:36:46 PM »

These letters which are in Greek are called the oh-own, which is the sound the letters represent.  They actual meaning is "I AM"  So, as Christ is fully God and fully man, the fully God is represented with these letters spelling out "I AM" in Greek.  This is from the response Moses got from the burning bush, "I AM that I AM."

Does this help?
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:42:19 PM »

These letters which are in Greek are called the oh-own, which is the sound the letters represent.  They actual meaning is "I AM"  So, as Christ is fully God and fully man, the fully God is represented with these letters spelling out "I AM" in Greek.  This is from the response Moses got from the burning bush, "I AM that I AM."

Does this help?

Not entirely correct.
The actual meaning of "O ΩΝ" is not "I AM" (first person) but rather "THE ONE WHO IS"(third person).

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »

The actual meaning of "O ΩΝ" is not "I AM" (first person) but rather "THE ONE WHO IS"(third person).

Almost. O ΩΝ is actually a participle (a masculine nominative singular present active participle) and, thus, being a verbal adjective, does not have a person (third or otherwise).

However, you are indeed correct that it can be translated as "THE ONE WHO IS". Another good translation would be "THE EXISTING ONE". The latter is a bit more literal, since it more fully conveys the participial nature of the Greek.

The translators of the Septuagint decided to replace the Hebrew "I AM" with O ΩΝ -- not a literal translation, but one that captures the essential meaning and conforms with the prevalent Hellenistic philosophical language/understanding of what true Divinity must be like, i.e. that true Being must, by definition, be eternal and unchangeable (as Parmenides taught). Thus, the translators of the Septuagint were making it clear that this God to whom Moses was speaking was indeed the true God.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Margaret Anne

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: GREEK

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »

Thank you both. This is what I had been taught.  I appreciate accuracy; it is more meaningful. It is nice to have someone better educated than I give me the best information.  Thanks again.
Tags: icons iconography 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: