OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 01:03:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Psalm 50 (51) in Byzantine Chant in English?  (Read 2520 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: September 28, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »

I'm looking for a Byzantine Chant of Psalm 50 (51 LXX) chanted in English.

Can anyone help me?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 10:49:08 AM »

I'm looking for a Byzantine Chant of Psalm 50 (51 LXX) chanted in English.

Can anyone help me?

Here are links to the four versions that I know exist on the web
http://www.dowama.org/sites/docs/Psalm50%20Barr.pdf
http://stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Orthros/Finale%202003%20-%20%5B3960_Ps50%5D.pdf
http://stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Orthros/Finale%202003%20-%20%5B3968_Ps50G%5D.pdf
http://stanthonysmonastery.org/music/Orthros/Finale%202003%20-%20%5B3970_Ps50L%5D.pdf

Joseph
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »

Thank you Arimethea.  I however am very illiterate when it comes to reading music (which is something I wish to overcome someday when I have time).

Do you have an audio recording of some sort?  Or is it possible someone can record themselves with these versions?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »

Do you have an audio recording of some sort?  Or is it possible someone can record themselves with these versions?

Why do you need recordings? There is nothing really special about these melodies, they are very simple versions of the tones indicated.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:01:40 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »

Thank you Arimethea.  I however am very illiterate when it comes to reading music (which is something I wish to overcome someday when I have time).

If you go to the St. Anthony's Monastery website, they have audio that goes with the files (no words, just the tune).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »

Why do you need recordings? There is nothing really special about these melodies, they are very simple versions of the tones indicated.

So, I can wing it as long as I know the tone?

I'm simply trying to learn some Byzantine chants to accommodate for some Eastern Orthodox in a group I'm in charge of, who simply are very humble enough to join us in Coptic prayers.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »

If you go to the St. Anthony's Monastery website, they have audio that goes with the files (no words, just the tune).

Thank you Cleveland.  Do you know a free program that can play .mus files?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:34:16 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:05:46 AM »

No, I'm not sure.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 01:17:38 AM »

Try this product, which is free:

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/melodyplayer.htm
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »

Try this product, which is free:

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/melodyplayer.htm

Thank you...

But, either I don't know how to work .mus files, or this program seems to have a hard time reading them.  So I'm still stuck with nothing.

God bless.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »

Oh never mind.  I didn't realize there was a free reader in Finale Notepad.  I just had to register my email.  That's all.

Thank you all for your help.  Much appreciated.

Tags: Psalm 51  Psalm 51  Have mercy upon me  Byzantine Chant chant liturgical music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: