Author Topic: Psalm 50 (51) in Byzantine Chant in English?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
Psalm 50 (51) in Byzantine Chant in English?
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »
I'm looking for a Byzantine Chant of Psalm 50 (51 LXX) chanted in English.

Can anyone help me?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
Joseph

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
Re: Psalm 50 (51) in Byzantine Chant in English?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
Thank you Arimethea.  I however am very illiterate when it comes to reading music (which is something I wish to overcome someday when I have time).

Do you have an audio recording of some sort?  Or is it possible someone can record themselves with these versions?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »
Do you have an audio recording of some sort?  Or is it possible someone can record themselves with these versions?

Why do you need recordings? There is nothing really special about these melodies, they are very simple versions of the tones indicated.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:01:40 PM by arimethea »
Joseph

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »
Thank you Arimethea.  I however am very illiterate when it comes to reading music (which is something I wish to overcome someday when I have time).

If you go to the St. Anthony's Monastery website, they have audio that goes with the files (no words, just the tune).
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »

Why do you need recordings? There is nothing really special about these melodies, they are very simple versions of the tones indicated.

So, I can wing it as long as I know the tone?

I'm simply trying to learn some Byzantine chants to accommodate for some Eastern Orthodox in a group I'm in charge of, who simply are very humble enough to join us in Coptic prayers.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »

If you go to the St. Anthony's Monastery website, they have audio that goes with the files (no words, just the tune).

Thank you Cleveland.  Do you know a free program that can play .mus files?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 05:34:16 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 12:05:46 AM »

No, I'm not sure.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 01:17:38 AM »

Try this product, which is free:

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/melodyplayer.htm

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »

Try this product, which is free:

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/melodyplayer.htm

Thank you...

But, either I don't know how to work .mus files, or this program seems to have a hard time reading them.  So I'm still stuck with nothing.

God bless.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »
Oh never mind.  I didn't realize there was a free reader in Finale Notepad.  I just had to register my email.  That's all.

Thank you all for your help.  Much appreciated.