OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 01:01:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrismation on October 18!  (Read 1618 times) Average Rating: 0
Hamartolos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Gregory the Theologian, intercede for my soul.

« on: September 27, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »

Hi all,

I am very happy to announce that I will be chrismated on October 18 (God willing)!  As happy as I am (and as unworthy of it as I am), I am not sure exactly what to expect.  I have tried to find how the ceremony works but haven't found anything.  So, how exactly will the chrismation ceremony go?  Thanks!

Formerly known as "mctaviix"
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »

Many years! I remember, back when I was received into the Church by baptism and chrismation, having such a hard time finding anything on the internet about the actual service.

Here is one site that has the order of service for you to read:

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/baptism_e.htm#n3

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:25:22 PM »

Many years!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 12:08:18 AM »

Many years!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:00:57 AM »

Congratulations!
Thomas
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »

Many Years!  I hope that you will still post here on the Convert Issues any issues that arise in your early years of conversion.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:11:41 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:05:42 PM »

Many years!
Thankful
Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 09:57:44 PM »

We recently became catechumens (we found out the day before we were received), and in our parish our father had us all (family of seven) come forward.  Then he prayed, blew on each of our faces (in the sign of a cross if I remember correctly), then prayed again laying his hands on our heads. 

MariM

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Boston

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 10:12:33 PM »

Congrats!  I hate to say this and run, but I just noticed your post.  Today my husband and I were chrismated; I can try and come back tomorrow after work and describe what our ceremony was like if you haven't found anything out yet. Smiley  Blessings.  It is exciting.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 01:49:17 AM »

Congratulations, Mctaviix!

Rosehip, thank you for the link. Very informative.

MariM, I would very much be interested to hear your firsthand account of what the experience is like.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:49:39 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 01:52:06 AM »

We recently became catechumens (we found out the day before we were received), and in our parish our father had us all (family of seven) come forward.  Then he prayed, blew on each of our faces (in the sign of a cross if I remember correctly), then prayed again laying his hands on our heads. 

I don't think any of this is formally done at our parish.  I'll ask the other catechumens, but for me this certainly didn't happen.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 02:04:24 AM »

My parish does this whole big thing when you become a catechumen.  You make vows, spit on Satan, get blown on, and prostrate.  The whole nine yards!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:01:58 AM »

Interesting. Was this a public or a private ceremony?
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »

Congratulation ! And Many Many Years....Axios, Worthy, Dostojan,,,,Mnogaja Ljeta....Amin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »

Congratulations!

Many, many years!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »

Interesting. Was this a public or a private ceremony?

Public. It was done after the liturgy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:25:15 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
stosh

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »

Congratulations! M'nohaja Lita!
MariM

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »

Congratulations, Mctaviix!

Rosehip, thank you for the link. Very informative.

MariM, I would very much be interested to hear your firsthand account of what the experience is like.
I too find it interesting what has been shared that has been experienced by catechumens as this did not happen with us.  We have had some good conversations with our priest and then with others regarding The Orthodox Faith and have studied the Church Fathers over several months.

I cannot give you what occurred for us verbatim as it was very awesome and we don't remember all of it.  We went up right after Vespers before Divine Liturgy; it actually was very short.  Father Tom lit the two candles which we held... said prayers over us (our God parents were on each side of us or sponsors whatever you choose to call them) We gave our chosen names. We recited the creed. The Chanter ... Chanted something which was in Greek...choir was in the background. We were then anointed with oil forehead, cheeks chin and back of the neck... and tops of our hands ...sealing of the Holy Spirit... our previous baptisms were excepted... We were then tonsured (sign of the cross).  I am not quite sure of what was next it was all rather awesome so I don't recall everything.  I do know we were then welcomed into the church.  After Divine Liturgy we were the first to take partake of the sacrament of the Eucharist with our sponsors.  This is the best I can do.  You'll know when you do it perhaps; it is hard to put into words exactly what I felt I guess.  Excited it not really a good word.  I would say awed... it is more descriptive of where I was and where I still linger.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »

Thank you for this, Mari. Did you recite the creed from memory? I get tripped up sometimes when trying to recall things that i've commited to memory, especially in front of others! Undecided

Also, do we have to have sponsors?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:46:57 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
MariM

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »

No, we did not have to recite the creed from memory...  yes you will have to have sponsors; someone who is Othodox.  We asked an older couple who have sat in front of us over the last year; we have gotten to know them a little bit.  They have considered it an honor and now consider us like family.  It really is an awesome experience.  We had another friend from the church break down in tears so to many it is a very moving experience; especially to those it seems who are older.  That's just my thoughts as it appears.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: