OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:39:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodoxy Anew  (Read 1770 times) Average Rating: 0
LostInTheWorld

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

καταδίκη - an unshakable belief

GenPatBlog
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »

I was baptized as a baby into the Antiochian Orthodox Church (New York). My dad's side of my family is of this church. Somewhere in my early life my dad had a falling out with the church and my family never went to any services nor did my parents ever direct any spiritual exploration. It was "up to us". Over my teen years I developed an anti-Christian mindset as well as explored paganism. It was during the latter part of 2007 did I start feeling a real spiritual emptiness. But at that time I declared myself atheist and refused to look at religion to fill that void.

One night this past summer, I awoke with a feeling of euphoria that stuck with me for weeks. I cannot remember the dream, if there was one, and the euphoria would come in waves when I thought about God. Soon I started praying and worshiping God and reading the Bible, but I have little direction. My wife isn't a fan of organized religion (though she is spiritual), so church attendence would be solo, something that I dint want. I want to return to the faith I was baptized in, but I have years of mistakes and wrong paths to make up for, as well as respecting my wife's views. To top it off, I live in an area of very little Orthodox population.

My screen name, LostInTheWorld, was not chosen lightly.  Tongue

"Fate leads him who follows it, and drags him who resist." -Plutarch
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

LostInTheWorld

GenPatBlog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:21:21 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »

If you want to look for a church near you, this can help:

http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/lr_v10/locator.php

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »

I want to return to the faith I was baptized in, but I have years of mistakes and wrong paths to make up for, as well as respecting my wife's views. To top it off, I live in an area of very little Orthodox population.

Welcome to the forum. To make up for the mistakes you have done, find a church and explain your situation to a priest and go to confession and confess every sin that you've done (all that you can remember at least) and once you do, it will feel like a load of weight has been lifted off of your shoulders. Seek also spiritual direction from a priest to get yourself back into a relationship with Christ and His Church.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:06:29 AM »

Welcome to the forum!  May God protect you!
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 07:13:12 AM »

LostInTheWorld,

Welcome!  We have many resources on this site, and across the 'net, to help you on your journey.  Remember that the Lord's mercy and grace can and will overcome all obstacles - so be of good cheer.  Heck, we've got an entire Sunday dedicated to "returning to God" (2nd Sunday of pre-Lent).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:06 AM »

Lost in the World,

Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum! I hope you will feel free to discuss issues that arise in your return to the Faith. I echo Cleveland's reminder that we all have been lost and we are all in the process of returningto the Most Holy Trinity, may your journey be successful.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:29:24 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
LostInTheWorld

GenPatBlog
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »

I've just purchased The Orthodox Way. Is it as good as The Orthodox Church?

John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »

Think of "The Orthodox Way" as Lossky for Dummies. It's a perfect theological gateway if you want to probe further, and stands up well on its own as a companion to the first.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:34:23 PM by John Larocque » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 09:33:03 PM »

Better
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »

I was baptized as a baby into the Antiochian Orthodox Church (New York). My dad's side of my family is of this church. Somewhere in my early life my dad had a falling out with the church and my family never went to any services nor did my parents ever direct any spiritual exploration. It was "up to us". Over my teen years I developed an anti-Christian mindset as well as explored paganism. It was during the latter part of 2007 did I start feeling a real spiritual emptiness. But at that time I declared myself atheist and refused to look at religion to fill that void.

One night this past summer, I awoke with a feeling of euphoria that stuck with me for weeks. I cannot remember the dream, if there was one, and the euphoria would come in waves when I thought about God. Soon I started praying and worshiping God and reading the Bible, but I have little direction. My wife isn't a fan of organized religion (though she is spiritual), so church attendence would be solo, something that I dint want. I want to return to the faith I was baptized in, but I have years of mistakes and wrong paths to make up for, as well as respecting my wife's views. To top it off, I live in an area of very little Orthodox population.

Welcome we are awaiting your return home.  If either I or anyone else here can help you in any way just send us a private email or post your questions here.

We are all sinners and have pasts we are not too proud of.  I returned to Orthodoxy after seventeen years of wandering.  God has a way of telling us to return when He feels it necessary.  With me I would have the same dream all the time.  In the dream I was standing on the side walk outside the Church I was baptised and raised listening to the Choir.  I decided God was telling me it was time I went inside the Church.  About the same time I found an Orthodox Church near where I lived that I never knew was there.  Went the next Sunday and was amazed the entire Liturgy was in English!  I was received with open arms in that little parish and joined three months later.  That was over 25 years ago.  After I joined I began to dream of being inside the Church and awake when a voice said, "Well done!'  This is all true.  God is speaking to you so listen to him.  You will be the better for it.  After I returned I have gone through two bouts with cancer and a heart attack.  Living alone I don't know how I would have survived without my church family since my immediate family is not near.  And the people I was hanging around with before I returned to the church, were never there when I needed them.  They were too secular and self centered.  God cared enough about me to prepare me for what was about to come.  That's how much He loved and cared about me.

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:46:54 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
LostInTheWorld

GenPatBlog
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 01:50:34 AM »

How central are the Gospels to Orthodoxy?

I've been listening to Dr. Bradley Nassif's podcasts and he says we must put the Gospels as the center of Orthodoxy. I'm just wondering if this is a common view, or is he attempting to reform Orthodoxy?

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 01:59:38 AM »

fantastic book.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 02:56:36 AM »

How central are the Gospels to Orthodoxy?

I've been listening to Dr. Bradley Nassif's podcasts and he says we must put the Gospels as the center of Orthodoxy. I'm just wondering if this is a common view, or is he attempting to reform Orthodoxy?

The Gospels are very central to the Orthodox Catholic faith. You will hear over 100+ quotations directly from the Gospels during every Divine Liturgy.  During the 'little entrance' when the priest brings the Gospel thru the Deacons door to place it on the Altar Table before it is read, he will hold it above his his head as he walks to remind us that its contents are the word of God and above all and everything.  He will also proclaim in a loud voice "Wisdom, let us be attentive" to remind us that no words are more important than what is contained in the this book encsted in gold he is holding above his head.

One thing you will never see is an Orthodox priest carry the Gospel book under his arm, slap it, or slam it down like you see on TV by some of these so called TV Evangelists.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: