OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 12:11:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Znamenny Chant  (Read 2287 times) Average Rating: 0
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« on: November 11, 2002, 10:25:10 AM »

In the Russian Church, znamenny chant had gradually fallen out of practice in favour of Westernized West and South Slav chant.

I understand the Old Believers had done very well in preseving znamenny--through oral tradition.

Pointing out and exploring through comparison the chararacteristics of this traditional chant and the Westernized chant that followed it is I think a good topic to start off with.

In IC XC
Samer
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 04:26:09 AM »

Everyone, I think this a topic that we can build on nicely.  Musicology and history are two of the things capable of being discussed on the topic of znamenny vs. alternative chants in the Slavic Churches.  May I please ask you to accept the invitation, and contribute something to this thread?  

In IC XC
Samer
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 12:51:57 PM »

Everyone, I think this a topic that we can build on nicely.  Musicology and history are two of the things capable of being discussed on the topic of znamenny vs. alternative chants in the Slavic Churches.  May I please ask you to accept the invitation, and contribute something to this thread?  

In IC XC
Samer

Samer, I would if I could.  But honestly, even though I sing in my parish choir, there is little I know about znamenny chant other than the fact that it's very old.  

In my parish we use Kievan, Obikhod, Plain, Greek, Moscow and Zadonskoye chants mainly.  The choir director is an elderly and very pious Orthodox woman from Ukraine.  We usually use what music is given us in the three hard-cover Divine Liturgy books and the hard-cover Vespers book published by the OCA in English for choirs.  We augment this occasionally with music from liturgical texts in Old Slavonic, which I still have difficulty in reading.

Hypo-Ortho
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 03:50:33 PM »

One can purchase from Concilar Press a CD of Znamenny chant from Valaam Monastery.

I had never heard a style quite like it.  Compared to the Russian chants I have heard, it is much simpler and shall we say more tranquil and condusive to the meditation required in monasticism.  It has an ison, which brings it closer to its Byzantine roots.

Much preferrable over the polyphonic chants that too often feature a major key, which doesn't appeal to someone more attuned to Arabic and Greek Byzantine style of chant.

I notice the same difference between today's Serbian chants and medieval monastic Serbian chants.  Is there a name for the latter?

In IC XC
Samer
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 04:11:50 PM »

One can purchase from Concilar Press a CD of Znamenny chant from Valaam Monastery.

I had never heard a style quite like it.  Compared to the Russian chants I have heard, it is much simpler and shall we say more tranquil and condusive to the meditation required in monasticism.  It has an ison, which brings it closer to its Byzantine roots.

Much preferrable over the polyphonic chants that too often feature a major key, which doesn't appeal to someone more attuned to Arabic and Greek Byzantine style of chant.

I notice the same difference between today's Serbian chants and medieval monastic Serbian chants.  Is there a name for the latter?

In IC XC
Samer

Oh, don't get me wrong, Samer.  I have *heard* Znamenny chant.  It's just that I've never belonged to a choir which has sung it, except exceedingly rarely.  Znamenny notation is completely different from Western notation.  Unless transcribed to Western notation, I doubt that you'll find a choir, other than in old monasteries in Russia where it has been kept alive as a "living tradition" in its original form, where Znamenny is sung with any regularity.  It has become, other than in monasteries, a "specialized" chant for musicologists with an historical interest, but not really used much in parishes.

Hypo-Ortho
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 04:18:03 PM »

It has become, other than in monasteries, a "specialized" chant for musicologists with an historical interest, but not really used much in parishes.

Pity that.

And no, I didn't assume you hadn't heard it.  I was giving my own input.

In IC XC
Samer

Josaphat

What's the deal with Llamas?

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2002, 01:19:19 AM »

The Dogmaticons in Znammeny Chant arranged by Kastalsky are particularly nice.  Does anyone with musical background know what kind of style of harmony that is?  I am talking about the two-part arrangement.

Also, the chant of the K(ievo)P(echerskaya)L(avra) is very nice, although ver repetative in its harmonies -- which makes it easier to sing.

That's all I've got to say.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2002, 01:30:59 AM »

The Dogmaticons in Znammeny Chant arranged by Kastalsky are particularly nice.  Does anyone with musical background know what kind of style of harmony that is?  I am talking about the two-part arrangement.

Also, the chant of the K(ievo)P(echerskaya)L(avra) is very nice, although ver repetative in its harmonies -- which makes it easier to sing.

That's all I've got to say.

Kastalsky was pretty important in bringing Znammeny chant back into the Russian church. Prior to him, Znammeny was primarily based on 4 part monophony. However, Kastalsky changed this and introduced polyphonic rearrangements of the chants that were once monophonic.

In listening to a recording I had, it sounds like a diatonic type harmonic that Kastalsky uses primarily.

I can explain diatonic scales further if you want, but it will take a bit, so let me know if you want me to

Bobby
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »

bump

I'm going to need this.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print