OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 03:42:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Da Vinci Code  (Read 2062 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: December 02, 2003, 11:08:37 PM »

Ok now I'm almost certain someone has posted something similar to this regarding the book "The Da Vinci Code". But I am so far behind times! I just finished reading it and oy! My God have mercy.

Anywho just thought I'd post this review of the book from the Catholic site crisismagazine.com:

Dismantling The Da Vinci Code
By Sandra Miesel

“The Grail,” Langdon said, “is symbolic of the lost goddess. When Christianity came along, the old pagan religions did not die easily. Legends of chivalric quests for the Holy Grail were in fact stories of forbidden quests to find the lost sacred feminine. Knights who claimed to be “searching for the chalice” were speaking in code as a way to protect themselves from a Church that had subjugated women, banished the Goddess, burned non-believers, and forbidden the pagan reverence for the sacred feminine.” (The Da Vinci Code, pages 238-239)

The Holy Grail is a favorite metaphor for a desirable but difficult-to-attain goal, from the map of the human genome to Lord Stanley’s Cup. While the original Grail—the cup Jesus allegedly used at the Last Supper—normally inhabits the pages of Arthurian romance, Dan Brown’s recent mega-best-seller, The Da Vinci Code, rips it away to the realm of esoteric history.

But his book is more than just the story of a quest for the Grail—he wholly reinterprets the Grail legend. In doing so, Brown inverts the insight that a woman’s body is symbolically a container and makes a container symbolically a woman’s body. And that container has a name every Christian will recognize, for Brown claims that the Holy Grail was actually Mary Magdalene. She was the vessel that held the blood of Jesus Christ in her womb while bearing his children.

Over the centuries, the Grail-keepers have been guarding the true (and continuing) bloodline of Christ and the relics of the Magdalen, not a material vessel. Therefore Brown claims that “the quest for the Holy Grail is the quest to kneel before the bones of Mary Magdalene,” a conclusion that would surely have surprised Sir Galahad and the other Grail knights who thought they were searching for the Chalice of the Last Supper.

The Da Vinci Code opens with the grisly murder of the Louvre’s curator inside the museum. The crime enmeshes hero Robert Langdon, a tweedy professor of symbolism from Harvard, and the victim’s granddaughter, burgundy-haired cryptologist Sophie Nevue. Together with crippled millionaire historian Leigh Teabing, they flee Paris for London one step ahead of the police and a mad albino Opus Dei “monk” named Silas who will stop at nothing to prevent them from finding the “Grail.”

But despite the frenetic pacing, at no point is action allowed to interfere with a good lecture. Before the story comes full circle back to the Louvre, readers face a barrage of codes, puzzles, mysteries, and conspiracies.

With his twice-stated principle, “Everybody loves a conspiracy,” Brown is reminiscent of the famous author who crafted her product by studying the features of ten earlier best-sellers. It would be too easy to criticize him for characters thin as plastic wrap, undistinguished prose, and improbable action. But Brown isn’t so much writing badly as writing in a particular way best calculated to attract a female audience. (Women, after all, buy most of the nation’s books.) He has married a thriller plot to a romance-novel technique. Notice how each character is an extreme typeGǪeffortlessly brilliant, smarmy, sinister, or psychotic as needed, moving against luxurious but curiously flat backdrops. Avoiding gore and bedroom gymnastics, he shows only one brief kiss and a sexual ritual performed by a married couple. The risqu+¬ allusions are fleeting although the text lingers over some bloody Opus Dei mortifications. In short, Brown has fabricated a novel perfect for a ladies’ book club.

Brown’s lack of seriousness shows in the games he plays with his character names—Robert Langdon, “bright fame long don” (distinguished and virile); Sophie Nevue, “wisdom New Eve”; the irascible taurine detective Bezu Fache, “zebu anger.” The servant who leads the police to them is Legaludec, “legal duce.” The murdered curator takes his surname, Sauni+¿re, from a real Catholic priest whose occult antics sparked interest in the Grail secret. As an inside joke, Brown even writes in his real-life editor (Faukman is Kaufman).

While his extensive use of fictional formulas may be the secret to Brown’s stardom, his anti-Christian message can’t have hurt him in publishing circles: The Da Vinci Code debuted atop the New York Times best-seller list. By manipulating his audience through the conventions of romance-writing, Brown invites readers to identify with his smart, glamorous characters who’ve seen through the impostures of the clerics who hide the “truth” about Jesus and his wife. Blasphemy is delivered in a soft voice with a knowing chuckle:

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 05:35:54 PM »

Well, I think that the jist of the article, that women have been marginalized, and overlooked, and intentionally kept from positions of power in the Church is right on the money.

This does NOT mean however, that I agree with everything that the article puts forward!
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 01:13:37 PM »

Wow. Reading the DaVinci Code (my father-in-law got it for his birthday and I picked it up while I was there over Christmas). Not too bad of a book until I got to Page 233 when they are discussing the Constantine and the Council of Nicea. Quoting from the book --

--------------------------

"At this gathering" Teabing said, "many aspects of Christianity were debated and voted upon - the date of Easter, the role of the bishops, the administration of sacraments, and, of course, the divinity of Jesus."

"I don't follow", Sophie asked, "his divinity?"

"My dear", Teabing declared, 'until that moment in history, Jesus was viewed by His followers as a mortal prophet . . . a great and powerful man, but a man nonetheless. A mortal."

"Not the Son of God?"

"Right," Teabing said. "Jesus' establishment as the 'Son of God' was oficially proposed and voted on by the Council of Nicaea."

"Hold on. You're saying Jesus' divinity was the result of a vote?"

"A relatively close vote at that", Teabing added ..."By officially endorsing Jesus as the Son of God, Constantine turned Jesus into a diety who existed beyond  the scope of the human world.... it was all about power. Christ as Messiah was critical to the functioning of the Church and state. Many scholars claim that the early Church literally stole Jesus from His original followers, hijacking his human message, shrouding it in an impenetrable cloak of divinity, and using it to expand their power."

--------------------------

Wow. This is an outright bald-faced lie. Not to mention outright blasphemy. String him up!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 01:53:00 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 01:46:43 PM »

It's the same old argument that Lorraine Boettner used in his book "Catholicism" where he writes that Mary was "deified" at the Council of Ephesus because she was proclaimed Theotokos.  For all the research this guy put into his book, he apparently didn't read the countless Ante-Nicene Fathers who proclaim the Divinity of Christ, as well as the Gospel of John itself.

As somewhat of an Arthurian, as well as a devout Christian, this book pisses me off because people are regarding it as gospel truth, so to speak.  At its best, its trite revisionist historical fiction.  At its worst, its lies from the mouth of the Evil One himself.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 01:51:44 PM »

This is what gets me in dialogue all the time. I always feel obliged to study historical circumstances and take account of the other sides point of view, but when I am dealing with someone who feels no obligation to being fair or balanced it is always difficult to proceed without passion.

Where would you start with a guy who believes that Nicaea deified Christ? He is already so wedded to deceit that anything you say is twisted to suit his own polemic.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 01:56:06 PM »

Where would you start with a guy who believes that Nicaea deified Christ? He is already so wedded to deceit that anything you say is twisted to suit his own polemic.

Correct. This is not an example of poor research on his part. He is blatently misrepresenting history.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 01:56:49 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 04:20:20 PM »

"The Da Vinci Code" was an interesting read, but that's about it.  I found the history of the Knights Templar and the Holy Grail interesting, since for me, the Holy Grail has always conjured images of Monty Python (!) and Indiana Jones!

I found it astonishing that in all his talk about Christian history, not once was the Orthodox Church mentioned.  Just goes to show that in most Western eyes, Orthodoxy is exactly the same as Roman Catholicism, just in a different language.

The Church councils clarified heresies or problems in the early church.  They DID NOT ESTABLISH NEW DOCTRINE - THEY JUST CLARIFIED WHAT THE CHURCH HAS ALWAYS BELIEVED AND TAUGHT.  

Dan Brown (the author I think?) has an interesting book, but he's really playing on Westernized concepts of Christianity and historical contrversy to make a buck.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 04:27:32 PM »

I've sometimes been tempted to write a crock of rubbish to make some money. Always resisted to far.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Ikonguru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Baptised Anglican -moving toward Orthodoxy

Lord have Mercy upon me, a Sinner

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »

Dan Brown has been some way off the mark in both The Da Vinci Code and the Lost Symbol. It really sickens me that a person can dangle supposed elements of the truth to an expectant public and make lots of money.
Fortunately, for the sake of Christendom, the Mysteries have been well concealed by the righteous.

Whilst It is clear (from his Last Supper and Mona Lisa) that Da Vinci obviously knew something of the Mysteries, it is evident Dan Brown is in ignorance of the true meaning behind the grail.

It is from a place of exile, where my captors torment me, that I write these lines. Through the grace of our Lord, I may one day be free.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »

it is evident Dan Brown is in ignorance of the true meaning behind the grail.

*raised eyebrow*
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 05:48:04 PM »

*raised eyebrow*
We have a pulse........

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »

Dan Brown has been some way off the mark in both The Da Vinci Code and the Lost Symbol. It really sickens me that a person can dangle supposed elements of the truth to an expectant public and make lots of money.
Fortunately, for the sake of Christendom, the Mysteries have been well concealed by the righteous.

Whilst It is clear (from his Last Supper and Mona Lisa) that Da Vinci obviously knew something of the Mysteries, it is evident Dan Brown is in ignorance of the true meaning behind the grail.

You are quite right. Dan Brown was using the Bauer/Ehrman thesis that there were very different and equally valid Christian beliefs and practices in the Early Church, based on valid writings that were suppressed in the 4th Century by Rome, such as the Gospel of Thomas. This thesis, however, is totally debunked most recently by a book by two Evangelical Protestant theologians, Andreas Köstenberger and Michael Kruger in The Heresy of Orthodoxy: How Contemporary Culture's Fascination with Diversity Has Reshaped Our Understanding of Early Christianity, Crossway Books, 2010.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Vladik
High Elder

From the CIS with love

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »

It's the same old argument that Lorraine Boettner used in his book "Catholicism" where he writes that Mary was "deified" at the Council of Ephesus because she was proclaimed Theotokos.  For all the research this guy put into his book, he apparently didn't read the countless Ante-Nicene Fathers who proclaim the Divinity of Christ, as well as the Gospel of John itself.

As somewhat of an Arthurian, as well as a devout Christian, this book pisses me off because people are regarding it as gospel truth, so to speak.  At its best, its trite revisionist historical fiction.  At its worst, its lies from the mouth of the Evil One himself.

LOL. Schultz lives here since 2003  Cheesy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:40:08 AM »

*raised eyebrow*
We have a pulse........

PP

But will you take the pulse of the illuminati!? Or will you continue to cower behind your keyboard and mouse? Wut? Wauit?s@d>   Nevermind me...    what are you doinngg?233   UNHAND ME@!@
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: