OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 01:54:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GOC Inter-Church Relationships Improving  (Read 888 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: September 22, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »

The Church of North America (HOCNA) reaches out in establishing friendly relations with the Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America (HOTCA.)  In the past there seems to have been accusations of heresy because of iconographical disagreement about the depiction ofthe Holy Trinity but that is being resolved.

http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8882
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:41:02 PM »

Here is the direct link to the news article on our official website:

http://www.hotca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=186:visit-of-hocna-clergy-to-st-maximus-parish&catid=51:ordinations&Itemid=74

We have had several such informal meetings which have been productive. At the present time, there is no official dialogue, as some bishops indicated that would be premature.  Further informal discussions are planned, however.

In Christ,

Fr Anastasios
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:41:49 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »

Fr. Ambrose and Fr. Anastasios,

Let me see if I understand correctly where the charge of heresy lies.  HOCNA will not depict the Holy Trinity in icons nor venerate them while the HOTCA says that such icons are well within the tradition of Orthodoxy and thus should be venerated?  Do I have that correct?  Is that the only reason for the schism between them?  Let me know.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »

Fr. Ambrose and Fr. Anastasios,

Let me see if I understand correctly where the charge of heresy lies.  HOCNA will not depict the Holy Trinity in icons nor venerate them while the HOTCA says that such icons are well within the tradition of Orthodoxy and thus should be venerated?  Do I have that correct?  Is that the only reason for the schism between them?  Let me know.

I think Fr Ambrose is getting that impression from the commentary that one or two individuals have made on the thread on the other forum, but those individuals are not members of either Church and at least one is rather anti-HOCNA (he doesn't seem to be too pro-GOC[HOTCA] either given the way he writes about our bishops, but you can't please everyone).

HOCNA has in the past made an issue about the Holy Trinity icon and there are a few people in HOCNA that are vocal against it, but as with many of these things, actual opinions vary, and I don't see it as "the" major issue though.

There are certainly some differences between our church and theirs, but their views are essentially the same as when they were in ROCOR so I hardly find them to be insurmountable.  We have some canonical concerns regarding some things that happened in their Church in the past to add to differences in views, and one of their major issues is our deposition of the former Archbishop, Auxentios, in 1986. I don't really think it would be profitable to go in to all of that though, since the aforementioned dialogue is unofficial and still in its infancy, and I would not like rehash the debates online since we are addressing them in the context of said unofficial dialogues.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tags: HOCNA GOC Ancient of Days icons Old Calendarists traditionalist 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: