OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 02:29:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AR you aware that orthnodoxy teaches . . . .  (Read 6551 times) Average Rating: 0
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« on: December 02, 2003, 02:22:22 PM »

In very general terms, the Russian Orthodox church is much like Roman Catholicism, without the Pope. There is no salvation by grace, no concept of evangelism, a high emphasis on structure, ritual and church hierarchy. They also actively oppose (sometimes violently) evangelicals in the former USSR. THe RO church is the official church in much of the former USSR.(There are some doctrinal differences between RO and RC, too, but they are mostly in details.)

The above was posted on another forum by some one who thinks himself an expert on all things Christian.  Just though you might like to know that you do NOT teach salvation by grace.  Roll Eyes

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 02:39:49 PM »

We're used to this stuff..  http://www.namb.net/evangelism/iev/PDF/BB_E_Orthodox_Manual.pdf   http://www.gospelcom.net/mnn/special/ethiopia/ethiopia5-26-00.html

The bast though is the Jack Chick comic strip that calls the RC Church the Whore of Babylon and us her bastard step-children...
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 02:58:49 PM »

Is is incredible how much in error that statement is.  It is obvious that he knows very little about Orthodox Christianity.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 03:07:24 PM »

the Whore of Babylon and us her bastard step-children...

Oh! I LOVE that!

Once in a group a guy not realizing I was RC called Catholics "idolatrous, goddess-worshipping, cracker-eating pagans" and I almost lost the mouthful of wine I had just sipped out my nose. Now, whenever asked what faith or denomination I am, I always smile and barely refrain from saying that. Funny how it stuck...

Most of these ridiculous statements don't challenge as much as they create firmer resolve.

Anybody else heard any winners lately? Points for creativity!

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 03:21:52 PM »

Yesterday I stumbled upon one of those evangelical Christian radio programs. At first the topic seemed promising- a seemingly intelligent and well-spoken evangelical was speaking about his studies of the early Church. He joked about having thought at one time that Church history began in 1930...but then he became aware of earlier Church writings(he didn't state which writings). Anyway, the program when quickly downhill when he, and a woman co-hosting the program, began speaking about how Christ's teachings were distorted right from the start- he focused mainly on the "distortions" of monasticism and fasting! He cited some of the words of St. Paul(not all, of course) and the verse which mentions that in the end times people will take to very strict fasting and an unhealthy view of sexuality(can't remember the verse right now)- not enjoying the things God has rightfully given them. The man and woman went on to state that monasticism and fasting were born from the influence of "gnostic heresy"(yes, these people had the audacity to talk about heresies..ha) and the gnostic concept of there being a divide between the spiritual and the material.
Great stuff  :smiley8:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 03:54:34 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 04:16:16 PM »

Sounds like the Calvary Chapel program Dial a heresy ... er ... I mean To every man an Answer, or it could have been the Good News Network who hosts Dave Hunt on Sat evenings.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 04:23:57 PM »

Bogoliubtsky,

I believe the passage is I Timothy 4:1-4 which says that  in "latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons...forbidding to marry and commanding to obtain from certain foods....".

I've heard this passage being used as an apologetic against Catholicism (and by extension, to Orthodoxy, since EOxy is "nothing more than Catholicism without the Pope") as well.  And at one time I used to buy into that argument  Roll Eyes.  It's funny what happens, however, when you start to look at the other side of the "argument".  Grin

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 04:36:43 PM »

It's funny what happens, however, when you start to look at the other side of the "argument".  

Or looking at monastics IRL.  

I saw a lot on Ayios Oros, departure from faith, deceiving spirits and demons were strangely absent Smiley
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 04:37:32 PM by Oblio » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 05:11:26 PM »

Bogoliubtsky,

I believe the passage is I Timothy 4:1-4 which says that  in "latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons...forbidding to marry and commanding to obtain from certain foods....".

I've heard this passage being used as an apologetic against Catholicism (and by extension, to Orthodoxy, since EOxy is "nothing more than Catholicism without the Pope") as well.  And at one time I used to buy into that argument  Roll Eyes.  It's funny what happens, however, when you start to look at the other side of the "argument".  Grin

It is interesting how that passage from 1 Timothy was actually fulfilled by the Albigensians, who forbade marriage and the eating of meat.

Some Protestant groups actually cite the Albigensians as "true Christians"who were preserving the Gospel in the "hidden parallel church"!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 05:17:11 PM »

A cross-board simulpost Smiley

I just used the term HPC over at CF
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 05:21:10 PM »

A cross-board simulpost Smiley

I just used the term HPC over at CF

I got burned out on that place.

Too many whacky Neo-Judaizers and self-important Calvinists.

Law and Doom.

What a combination!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 05:28:09 PM »

It goes in cycles.  Hang out at the Taberna Smiley
The anoying heretic of the week nut is a fellow that goes on and on about how the Nativity and Pascha feasts were instituted by pagans. (flash - He is not a MJ)
simchat has settled down a bit now that he is a mod too.
The doomers are still around, but I just ignore them (I know it is harder for you, having recovered from that brainscrubbin they tried to give you)
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 05:34:10 PM »

. . .  called Catholics "idolatrous, goddess-worshipping, cracker-eating pagans"

Sad - but funny.  If ignorance is bliss that guy will be high all his life!

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2003, 05:38:24 PM »

It is interesting how that passage from 1 Timothy was actually fulfilled by the Albigensians, who forbade marriage and the eating of meat.

Some Protestant groups actually cite the Albigensians as "true Christians"who were preserving the Gospel in the "hidden parallel church"!

That is interesting indeed.  Yeah,  I've read several accounts of the "hidden parallel church" from Carroll's Trail of Blood to Broadbent's The Pilgrim Church.  There are in fact several on the Baptist board who buy into this, believing there have always been "baptist" churches throughout history maintaining the true faith while being persecuted by the corrupt state church ("whore of Babylon") headquartered in Rome.  No, they weren't always called "Baptists".  Through the years the wicked Roman institution has given them such names as "Novatians", "Donatists", "Montanists", "Paulicians", "Bogomils", "Cathari", "Albigensians", "Waldensians", and "Anabaptists" (among many others, the records of whom have been destroyed by Rome).  However, the truth was betrayed when Cardinal Hosius said (? in the 16th century) WTTE that had the church not persecuted the "baptists" for the past 1200 years, then they'd be more numerous than the reformers!  Shocked

The embarrassing thing is I more or less believed this uncritically for a time.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 05:41:31 PM by Doubting Thomas » Logged

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 05:38:30 PM »

What gets me is that I'm called RC by all the fundies - and a fake by the catholics. I can't please anyone!!  Oh well I just can't stand to see falsehoods stated as facts.  Interpretation issues are one thing - blatent misinformation is another.  I posted a website for Orthodox beliefs and shot down what was said.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2003, 05:52:09 PM »

Thomas: Trail of blood?  People still read that fiction.

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2003, 07:47:24 PM »

Thomas: Trail of blood?  People still read that fiction.

Oh, yes--it may be linked on the internet from various indepedent fundamental baptist websites, so I'm sure its being read by at least a few.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 08:15:28 PM »

wow.  I didn't know religious fiction was that popular

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2003, 09:38:04 PM »

wow.  I didn't know religious fiction was that popular

The sad thing is that the people who read this don't believe it is fiction.  Roll Eyes

Saint Polycarp

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 09:42:44 PM »

What gets me is that I'm called RC by all the fundies - and a fake by the catholics. I can't please anyone!!  Oh well I just can't stand to see falsehoods stated as facts.  Interpretation issues are one thing - blatent misinformation is another.  I posted a website for Orthodox beliefs and shot down what was said.
Why would a Catholic call you fake?
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 09:59:18 PM »

polycarp: oh that would be because I'm not RC and I have the nerve to say that I am a franciscan and that I believe in the Eucharist.  thats just not allowed.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 10:01:30 PM »

Thomas: lots of churches pass off fiction as truth - take the donation of constantine for example

amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 10:16:55 PM »

calls the RC Church the Whore of Babylon and us her bastard step-children...

Maybe you Orthodox folks should straighten Mr. Chick out. Shouldn't this read that Orthodoxy is the Whore of Babylon and Rome is it's bastard step-children?

Wink

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2003, 11:00:35 PM »

Why would a Catholic call you fake?
Peace,
Polycarp

Well I'm Catholic, so I can only explain, in my opinion, why he might be considered a "fake" by some Catholics and Roman Catholicism in general.

He accepts and embrases 7 Roman Catholic sacraments, a Roman Catholic liturgy, Roman Catholic prayers and Roman Catholic Saints, yet he is not Roman Catholic.

It is kind of like Byzantine Catholics claiming to be "Orthodox in union with Rome", I have met many Orthodox Christians who feel they are just fake, and wanna be Orthos. This is not exactly the same situation, but close.

I don't know.....but what Br. Max is doing in the eyes of many is like mocking the Roman Catholic faith.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2003, 11:26:14 PM »

Ben: It is kind of like Byzantine Catholics claiming to be "Orthodox in union with Rome", I have met many Orthodox Christians who feel they are just fake, and wanna be Orthos. This is not exactly the same situation, but close.

I know I am opening myself up for a few shots, but I do not feel that Byzantine Catholics are fakes or wannabes (I know you were not saying that they are, Ben).

One of my best friends is Byzantine Catholic, and God used him powerfully in my conversion to holy Orthodoxy. I respect my friend tremendously. He has good reasons for why he is what he is and he is most definitely no wannabe or fake.

If God allows, I will testify on his behalf at the Judgment.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 11:34:15 PM »

I am in no way saying Byzantine Catholics are wannabes, but I know when my Orthodox friends here "Orthodox in union with Rome", along with my RCC friends, they cringe. It is most certainly a fake title. Firstly they are not Orthodox! Secondly they are in submission to Rome not "in union" with Rome. Anywho I often hear Orthodox Christians complaining about Byzantine Catholics who claim to be Orthodox. Sorry if I offended anyone!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 11:35:44 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2003, 12:43:27 AM »

I am in no way saying Byzantine Catholics are wannabes, but I know when my Orthodox friends here "Orthodox in union with Rome", along with my RCC friends, they cringe. It is most certainly a fake title. Firstly they are not Orthodox! Secondly they are in submission to Rome not "in union" with Rome. Anywho I often hear Orthodox Christians complaining about Byzantine Catholics who claim to be Orthodox. Sorry if I offended anyone!

You did not offend me, and I agree that saying "Orthodox in union with Rome" is a stretch, although, historically speaking, it is not inaccurate.

I think the term Byzantine Catholic is better and more descriptive; but, then again, couldn't one describe Orthodox Christians as Byzantine Catholics?

Now I've probably really P-Oed some people!

Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2003, 12:47:26 AM »

It goes in cycles.  Hang out at the Taberna Smiley
The anoying heretic of the week nut is a fellow that goes on and on about how the Nativity and Pascha feasts were instituted by pagans. (flash - He is not a MJ)
simchat has settled down a bit now that he is a mod too.
The doomers are still around, but I just ignore them (I know it is harder for you, having recovered from that brainscrubbin they tried to give you)

Have you noticed that almost every other person over there is a moderator?

Even the bugs?

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

And MJs are rotten-to-the-core heretics. They have about as much business on a supposed Christian Forum as Moonies or Jehovah's Witnesses.

Notice how I suckered Brother Max into coming over here after CF banned him?  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2003, 01:04:50 AM »

You called?

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2003, 01:09:38 AM »

You called?

Lol.

I should have said "not enough Aboriginal Americans"!

Or I could have gone Canadian and said, "not enough 'First Nations' persons."

Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2003, 01:16:42 AM »

(American) Indians would've been just fine with me.  The other alternatives you propose sound like a mouthful.  Tongue

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2003, 11:14:24 AM »

I don't know.....but what Br. Max is doing in the eyes of many is like mocking the Roman Catholic faith.

Ah, but that is because they feel we are infringing on territory they own and worse - we are thriving!   Smiley

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2003, 11:18:09 AM »

mor: the "PC police" like us to fill out mouths with unnessecary crap.

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox pre 100AD

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »

calls the RC Church the Whore of Babylon and us her bastard step-children...

Maybe you Orthodox folks should straighten Mr. Chick out. Shouldn't this read that Orthodoxy is the Whore of Babylon and Rome is it's bastard step-children?

Wink

The Church of Rome left all the other Patriarchates so in reality it is the first "protestant" and all the others are its daughters.

If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox pre 100AD

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »

If you are in union under the Pope of Rome, you are Roman Catholic, not Eastern Orthodox, no matter what you call yourself.

If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 08:50:31 AM »

Why the necromancy, bro? Huh

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »

The Law of Moses bans necromancy.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »

Br. Max, are you Byz. Catholic?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »

Br. Max, are you Byz. Catholic?

Considering the poster hasn't been around since 2005, don't hold your breath for a reply...

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »

Anyone aware of Orthodox Christians, in North America or Europe, that write the kind of **** about Protestants and Catholics that fake Christians like Morey, Cloud, Chick write about us? I hope not, but would not be completely surprised, as we are definitely sinners as well.

Partially veiled profanity veiled completely to enforce compliance with forum anti-profanity rules  -PtA
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:31:44 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 07:45:34 AM »

Anyone aware of Orthodox Christians, in North America or Europe, that write the kind of s*** about Protestants and Catholics that fake Christians like Morey, Cloud, Chick write about us? I hope not, but would not be completely surprised, as we are definitely sinners as well.

I know of one...

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »

Who? Is their work published?

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »

Who? Is their work published?

For ignorant and slanderous stories about western Christianity mixed with some wacky conspiracy theories I suggest Franks, Romans, Feudalism and Doctrine by Fr. John Romanides. It isn't as bad as a Chick-tract, though, but still...

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »

Anyone aware of Orthodox Christians, in North America or Europe, that write the kind of s*** about Protestants and Catholics that fake Christians like Morey, Cloud, Chick write about us? I hope not, but would not be completely surprised, as we are definitely sinners as well.

I know of one...

I do too, and right here on this forum ... one of the reasons I occasionally have to take a break!  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »

I know of one...

I do too, and right here on this forum ... one of the reasons I occasionally have to take a break!  Grin

I was afraid someone would say this.... Smiley

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Tags: polemics 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: