OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:46:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Vladimir Moss Mess  (Read 3826 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« on: December 02, 2003, 09:03:29 AM »

OK, so I'm in this long-winded discussion of 1066 and all that on the e-Cafe, and Vladimir Moss's name keeps coming up because he seems to be the locus of a lot of the "Saxon Orthodoxy" cant. And now my wife directs me to another E-Cafe post indicating he's been excommunicated from ROAC! A little further probing turned up this report of a ROAC synod in which Moss is discussed toward the end, and also an interview from Romanitas in which the subject of "name-worship" comes up about halfway through.

Am I correct that he has gone on to TOC? And what-in-the-heck is "name worship"?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:04:22 AM by Keble » Logged
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 11:44:08 AM »

Name-worship was a heresy that afflicted Mount Athos around the turn of the last century - I think it said one didn't need the Liturgy, office or other acts, just praying the Name of Jesus.

MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 11:46:36 AM »

Name-worship was a heresy that afflicted Mount Athos around the turn of the last century - I think it said one didn't need the Liturgy, office or other acts, just praying the Name of Jesus.

That doesn't have anything to do with the idea that one should not continually say the Jesus Prayer without "Spiritual Father Supervision" does it?

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 11:59:16 AM »

That doesn't have anything to do with the idea that one should not continually say the Jesus Prayer without "Spiritual Father Supervision" does it?

I don't know - it might! Though Athos probably had a lot of monks who in theory could have prevented that. Then again, Athos hasn't got an exclusive claim to infallibility apart from church infallibility so it fell for this.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 03:49:00 PM »

OK, I guess I userstand this somewhat.

But if some brave person dares to read this stuff-- from what little I understood, V. Moss seemed to be arguing against name-worship. Can someone explain??
Tony

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 04:49:16 PM »

Are the priest hermit monks on Mt Athos and hermits in general permitted to serve Divine Litugry? I know in Orthodoxy a priest may not serve Liturgy alone, but would the priest monks be given a "dispensation"?

In Christ,
Anthony

« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 04:50:14 PM by Tony » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 12:02:02 AM »

Romanitas. Has any particular principle governed your life as an Orthodox Christian?

VM. Apart from the commandments of Christ and the teaching of the holy apostles and fathers, the words spoken to me by Metropolitan Philaret of New York in 1977: “Vladimir, I advise you always to remain loyal to the anathema hurled against the Soviet church by the Catacomb Church.”

Ah . . . words to live by!  Tongue

Huh

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 06:04:38 PM »

I read about that recently in Contemporary Ascetics of Mount Athos.  I think Elder Callinicus was the major refuter of the heresy.  I read most of the practitioners of Name Worship went to the Caucasus.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 06:07:55 PM »

Dear Nicodemus,

Could you tell us more about this heresy, or direct us to other internet/print sources for information?  I'd like to learn more about this.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: