OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 02:11:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Length of the homily  (Read 3504 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: August 29, 2009, 12:19:06 AM »

I was having a discussion with a fellow parishioner today who was saying that one of the reasons attendance is down (and not just because it's summer) is because our priest's sermons tend to drone on and on and frequently get off track, thus going for 20 minutes plus.  Now, my priest says that he does this simply because most of the congregation rarely, if ever, comes to the special feast day services or the extra services during Lent and so he uses his time from the pulpit to teach and make up for the time that they are not there.  I understand both points of view, but I am wondering what is the standard length of time (if there is such a thing) for  a sermon after the Gospel at Liturgy.  I'm not looking for jurisdictional differences, but if you want to put that anyway, please do so.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 01:11:28 AM »

10-15 minutes is typical.

Guest homilists usually speak 15-20 minutes.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 01:24:38 AM »

I think people could at least pretend to care a bit more.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 01:45:08 AM »

I don't know that one can make up for time that one chooses to simply not utilize at all for spiritual purposes.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 01:48:12 AM »

I don't know that one can make up for time that one chooses to simply not utilize at all for spiritual purposes.

You can't make people care about God.  We are a wicked generation.  May God have mercy on us all!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 02:17:25 AM »

You can't make people care about God.

True. Only God can do that, and only when people want Him to.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:44:42 AM »

We typically have about a 20-30 minute homily. When the Bishop was here for Pascha it was about an hour and a half!
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 03:33:59 AM »

We typically have about a 20-30 minute homily. When the Bishop was here for Pascha it was about an hour and a half!

Half hour homilies...wow. The local priests average 10-15. At least one priest regularly does no homily at all...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 05:16:18 AM »

^Sometimes it is much shorter, sometimes longer. But it is all shorter than the man that preached at the last church we attended, he preached a minimum of about an hour. (Mark Driscoll Mars Hill)
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 06:29:12 AM »

Approximately 30 minutes. To long for me. I don't like listening to homilies at my Parish.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »

My priests speaks no more than 15 minutes. I find at that length I am better able to remember the entire homily. When I was a Protestant, I always had to keep notes in order to remember what was preached; now, I have not taken notes at all since becoming Orthodox, but I am better able to dwell on what was preached during the week.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »

Half hour homilies...wow. The local priests average 10-15. At least one priest regularly does no homily at all...

I think it is a shame when priests do no homily at all. 
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 03:41:25 PM »

There is a local priest that burns through the liturgy of the catecumens to get to the sermon, takes 45 minutes for the homily, and then burns throuhg the liturgy of the faithful.  He is not irreverant, just a different emphasis than my priest who does a 20 minute homily and makes the luturgy the focus.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »

I can remember the entire homily. I understand what you mean though Mr. Y. The pastor of our last church actually hands out booklets with notes pre-written. In fact he writes an outline to his entire sermon "series" that are typically a good 1/2 inch thick and gives them to everyone before he starts the sermons (he used to preach thru a book of the bible straight thru, now he takes on subjects like; "It's all about Jesus,"  "Vintage Jesus," "Religion saves and nine other misconceptions," and "The Rebel's guide to joy." And they even have little video introductions to the services I have heard (my brothers still attend there).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:59:14 PM by Quinault » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »

My priest usually has about 15-20 minutes and it's also recorded for our website so you can listen to it again.

I don't care how long the homily is since it's the only time I get to sit down! Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »

Most people decide if they are going to listen to a speaker within the first six seconds. 20 minutes is the average attention span of modern, educated adults. Any longer than that and the percentage of people not paying attention goes up dramatically -- even if the speaker has a well-thought-out, engaging presentation. The attention span of teenagers and children is much, much less.

Considering that, research on congregational attention spans (across all denominations) indicates that the majority of people in modern churches only listen to their preacher for 8 minutes.

In my experience across many different Orthodox parishes, the average homily length is about 12 to 14 minutes. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Some of the greatest sermons I have ever heard clocked in at under 8 minutes. You can pack a LOT into that amount of time if you know what you are doing.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »

Our priest is a mumbler, so a five minute sermon can often seem like twenty five minutes! 

I agree with pensateomnia.  The best sermons I've ever heard always clocked in under ten minutes or even less.  That being said, I like listening to good preaching full of Scriptural and Patristic quotes.  I was pleasantly surprised at my parents' 50th wedding anniversary Mass at their very mainstream RC paris this past weekend.  Their new priest is a younger man whose homily ran about 20 minutes, but he managed to tie in quotes from two older popes, St. John Chrysostom, all the readings of the day AND a couple other Scriptural references.  He did go on a little long (I think it ran 20 minutes) but I was rapt with attention.  His voice was very clear and his meaning very plain.  I hate to say it, but it was a nice change from my normal Sunday homily!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 12:03:39 PM »

I think we have a 10-15 min average here; Usually my notes (which are a full text, not an outline) are about 3 pgs at a 16-18pt font, 1 1/2 line spacing.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »

His voice was very clear and his meaning very plain.  I hate to say it, but it was a nice change from my normal Sunday homily!

One of the things that makes a priest  a bad preacher is that he does not have a clear voice and does not annunciate well. Unfortunately, I have heard way too many sermons from priests who do mumble or slur their words.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »

Ours lasts anywhere from 15 - 20 minutes.  However, our priest is a wonderful orator, and knows his stuff.  I truly enjoy listening to his sermons.

I am always interested in religious education.  There's always something new to learn...and I hang on every word.

I could sit and listen for hours!

When I visited an OCA church during Lent, Archbishop Nathaniel spoke for close to an hour.  While others were squirming and the ladies behind me were complaining, I was thoroughly enjoying myself.

Of course, you can enjoy yourself, if you have nowhere else to be at that time. 
If you have other commitments, then I can completely understand wanting it to be shorter.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 10:06:45 PM »

There are some people who are just there to get it over with.   There are some who debate whether to come to church or not because they have other things to do, and then get irritated if things run over.   I recall some visitors from up north about a year ago that came after liturgy during fellowship hour only to ask if our our parish is one of those parishes that has an hour long liturgy without a homily and without "everyone taking communion" or an hour and a half with a homily and communion, I answered that it is the latter.  They told me that they were not used to that, that they are used to shorter liturgies and did not return.   Now my immediate question that popped into my head was:  what priest is not preaching a homily on a Sunday since the canons state clearly that a priest who persists in this practice is to be disciplined.   What do they go to Liturgy for--to fulfill "obligation" in ecclesiological minimalism?   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:07:23 PM by FatherHLL » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 11:21:30 PM »

Fr. T usually sticks in the 15 min range.

Usually after the dismissal prayers, he'll read the Bulletin announcements before we go up to venerate the cross. If there is something particular on his mind that day (unrelated to the Gospel), he'll sometimes use that time to get in an extra sermon.

I always enjoy his homilies though. Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 02:47:59 AM »

My current and former presiding priests usually take 15 to 20 minutes.  Likewise with our Liturgical Assistant.  Twenty five years ago, we had a priest who had a particular gift of preaching.  He gave an inspiring, fact filled sermon in 10 minutes, no more.  I think 10 to 12 mins. is enough, if organized and well thought out. I find my mind drifting in that last 5 minutes, no matter how good the message is.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 08:57:03 AM »

They told me that they were not used to that, that they are used to shorter liturgies and did not return.
That strikes me as an incredibly sad story.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 09:25:56 AM »

Having had to deal with this as a teacher, there have been studies done on the damage done by MTV and sound bites and flash images on attention spans. Yes, it actually IS harder than when St. John Chrysostom was preaching.

Btw, I'm a geek who takes notes during Fr. Pat Reardon's sermons.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »

We had a visiting priest (withing the diocese - I had met him several times already) that gave about a 3-4 min homily...and then I realized that it was actually rather good!  10-15 min the norm here.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 10:47:51 PM »

My priest usually has about 15-20 minutes and it's also recorded for our website so you can listen to it again.

I don't care how long the homily is since it's the only time I get to sit down! Grin

sitting is overrated  Wink
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »

I think we have a 10-15 min average here; Usually my notes (which are a full text, not an outline) are about 3 pgs at a 16-18pt font, 1 1/2 line spacing.

How can you write that fast?!  Shocked
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »

What do you mean by "that fast?"
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:06:18 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

Ortho_cat, he doesn't mean he takes notes during the homily, he means the notes for the homily he is giving are that long.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »

sitting is overrated  Wink

Not when you're wearing cute shoes!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 12:31:23 PM »

If one does not like hearing homilies in ones own parish, what other resourses are available?

Listening to homilies is Apostolically required of Orthodox Christians, especially as a gathered Church (parish) by Apostolic command and example (meaning they taught this same thing in and to all Churches) and this is clearly evident within the Holy Scriptures, by each New Testament Writer and repeated by the Fathers and the Councils and the Synods...

I have attended many Liturgies where no homily was given in association with the Divine Liturgy, I don't like not hearing homilies and especially in my own parish. 

What subjects should a homily address?  This is clearly laid out for us within the same Scripture

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 02:25:11 PM »

In my parish I never heard a sermon at all (never wondered why, but possibly because the assembly is hybrid Russian-Italian and he can't repeat the homily twice in two languages? I dunno). It must be said that I don't miss it... the Reader and the Priest sing so wonderfully the Scriptures that they seem to penetrate my mind, word by word, revealing their mysteries.
Anyway, I think that the ability to teach is a rare gift priests should pray for. It is difficult to get the attention of people standing for some 1 hour// 1 hour 1/2, so the parish priest should find, as it's been said, both Scriptural and Patristic sources to strengthen the faith in the subject of the Gospel. Up to now, the only good church orator I found was a young RC priest who teaches in Bergamo's seminary. I listened to his homily two years ago on the occasion of my patron saint's feast (which is also my town's feast). He narrated st. Alexander's life always keeping the Gospel of the day in the core of the sermon, and he used such words which really made my heart burn. He is truly an atypical RC priest, how I'd like him to be Orthodox! LOL Maybe one day, who knows?
That said, I think that using the lives of the saints associated with the daily Gospel, as that young priest did, is really a good choice, and strengthens the link of every Christian to the predecessors in the faith as living witnesses of God's grace. Just my opinion of course.

In Christ,   Alex

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »

Ortho_cat, he doesn't mean he takes notes during the homily, he means the notes for the homily he is giving are that long.

Oh, I didn't even consider that angle to the question.  The amount of notes for a lecture is directly dependent on the quality of the lecture; I've had classes where it was 6+ pages in 90 minutes, but that only works out to 1 pg / 15 min.

---------------------
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: