OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:25:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Private Messages  (Read 2531 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: December 01, 2003, 11:58:55 PM »

Dear in Christ,

Recently a couple of people have complained to me personally via email and private message about the issue of private messages being accessible by administrators on this site.  I would like to expand on this topic.

1) This site is the property of the adminstrators of OrthodoxChristianity.net.  We are also legally responsible for its content to a certain extent.  We offer this site for free.

2) We must maintain the purpose of this site and protect our users--you--from unsolicited harassment.  Let me illustrate two case scenarios from the life of this board:

Person A was a member of this board.  He left and then imed several people to try and get them to quit when he had a personal fight with me.  They did not want to continue to receive this type of communication.

Person B signed up to this board to specifically target ex-Catholics to return to the Catholic Church.  These people complained to us to do something about it.

In both cases we resorted to verifying that persons A and B had in fact done as their accusors insisted.  This was done by a check of the private message inbox and outbox.

Now, let me make something clear.  It's not like we sit around and read people's private messages.  Trust me, we have many better things to do than that.

Let me let you all in on something else: on *any* board they have the ability to check private messages, but we a) notify you of that in your user agreement and b) made the announcement in the board news section.

We only read private messages when complaints are lodged. We don't randomely monitor other people's messages.  Nevertheless, you will want to know that if you delete your messages, we do not see them. Also, you are free to exchange email addresses with your contacts and use someone else's electronic media to transmit your communications.

We provide private messages as a service and we could remove them at any time.  We don't want to do that but after I received the complaints I felt that I should put the facts on the table.

Some might bring up the questions of 1) legality and 2) ethics.

Legality: The Admins of OCnet own and pay for the space that your messages, public and private, reside on.  You are furthermore notified of the issue upon signing up. Hence, we are fully in our legal scope.

Ethics: There is nothing unethical about the way we run the site.  We give you privacy unless you harass someone and they complain to us.

Any questions, concerns, or comments are solicited in this thread and we will be glad to hear what you have to say.  No new policies or directives have been instituted and so I have not consulted with my fellow admins about this, but merely am posting this in my personal capacity to set the record straight. My fellow admins may or may not weigh in with their opinions.

Sincerely,

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 12:17:01 AM »

Since as a Global Mod, I can't read private messages, I'll just chime in with what Anastasios said.  From my communications via PM, IM, and email with he and the other admins/mods I have never seen any evidence of misuse of the ability to monitor PMs.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 12:25:49 AM »

The bottom line is, we could have kept this all private and no one would have ever known. However, I think it's important to be honest, and that is why you are informed upon signing up for the board that PMs may be monitored.

Again, I reiterate, the private message view function is only for coding purposes and in case of problematic users. It isn't an attempt to monitor or spy.  The private messages table is encoded, so only 2 people on this board, Anastasios and myself, have access to them if necessary.

Hope this clarifies some,
Bobby

TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 04:05:25 PM »

Is that a "Rare Earth" song playing in the background?
carpo-rusyn
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 03:37:25 PM »

[Person B signed up to this board to specifically target ex-Catholics to return to the Catholic Church.  These people complained to us to do something about it.]

To whoever this was, from one RC to another..  

"What's the matter with you?!?!"Shocked

Don't you listen to the Pope at all???

Carpo-Rusyn
Tony

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 03:54:00 PM »

I don't understand. What did the Pope say about private messages? Wink

In Christ,
Anthony

[Person B signed up to this board to specifically target ex-Catholics to return to the Catholic Church.  These people complained to us to do something about it.]

Carpo-Rusyn

carpo-rusyn
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 04:00:03 PM »

Tony

The Pope has said that private messages may not be sent but as he has not spoken "excathedra" on this I feel ok in continuing to send private messages.  Grin

CR
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 04:08:04 PM »

:cwm41: :cwm41:

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 03:17:33 PM »

In the end, proselytism is an impediment to unity, whether from Orthodox or Catholics. Defend the Truth. Instruct the ignorant. In the end it's in God's hands, who is saved and who is not. I don't think St. Peter's going to ask us how many souls we saved.
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 11:28:42 PM »

Carpo-Rusyn

Carpo Rusyn-That Was Good!  Grin
Slava Isusu Christo!

Spiros

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 09:39:01 AM »

Anastasios, Thank you for an open and clear explanation. "No problema......."

It is afterwards that events are best understood