OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:35:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Names for Children  (Read 48871 times) Average Rating: 0
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »

We'll make Aidan a good name again.  Tongue  I guess we better ready the baby name book as we've found out we're having our second born a little earlier than planned!  He/she is due around the middle of December. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2008, 09:59:46 AM »

Congratulations!  and all good wishes for you and the New Person and all of your family.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #137 on: May 03, 2008, 10:01:15 AM »

Thanks!  We're getting over the shock now.   laugh

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Andrea

« Reply #138 on: May 03, 2008, 12:16:58 PM »

We'll make Aidan a good name again.  Tongue  I guess we better ready the baby name book as we've found out we're having our second born a little earlier than planned!  He/she is due around the middle of December. 

Congratulations and prayers for you and your family!
 Smiley Andrea
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »

Thanks!

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2008, 02:02:53 PM »

Congratulations!
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the midwest

« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »

Congratulations, again.  Grin

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatricis.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2008, 11:46:36 PM »

Oh congratulations, EofK! That's wonderful news! And Aidan is a beautiful name, although it has very non-Orthodox connotations for me! Wink

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2008, 02:52:41 AM »

Oh congratulations, EofK! That's wonderful news! And Aidan is a beautiful name, although it has very non-Orthodox connotations for me! Wink

That means that EofK needs to make sure that aidan becomes a Saint so it will have Orthodox connotations! Cheesy

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2008, 03:34:18 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Aidan would be named after St. Aidan of Lindesfarne. He is commemorated on August 31st.
St. Aidan was born in Ireland in the latter part of the 6th Century. He was tonsured a monk at Iona (Scotland) in the community that St. Columba had founded earlier as a holy isle and staging ground for the evangelization of Britain. St. Aidan was chosen to evangelize Northumbria, because of his skilful and gentle manner of teaching. He was consecrated bishop and sent to Northumbria. He arrived at Lindesfarne in 635, establishing it as a second holy isle on the opposite coast of Britain, which became his see. He evangelized the native pagans. At times, he encountered rival gangs of young men, ready to do battle. He instructed them in the Gospel of Peace and they laid down their weapons, were baptized, and became monastics. St. Aidan held to the eastern traditions, which were the norm in Ireland. He taught and practiced the stricter fasting rules, the eastern date for Pascha and the collegial nature of church rule, giving preference to abbots over bishops. Many times, King Oswald would accompany St. Aidan on his missionary trips through the countryside, acting as an interpreter. St. Aidan was always teaching, preaching and encouraging, but he led by example. He was known by his asceticism and his almsgiving. King Oswin gave him a fine horse to use in his ministry. Aidan gave it with all of its fancy gear, to a beggar who asked for alms. He used some of what was given him to redeem slaves out of their slavery. Some of these became his disciples. St. Aidan sent missionaries out across England and as far as the Netherlands, establishing monasteries. He also tonsured the first nun in Northumbria, Hieu. He also persuaded Hilda to stay in England and supported her work of establishing monasteries for women throughout England. The godly bishop accomplished all of this and more in just sixteen years. He reposed in the Lord on August 31, 651. He was immediately acclaimed as "the Apostle to Northumbria." He was buried at Lindesfarne. In 664, when the Lindesfarne monastery succumbed to the pressure from Rome and accepted the Synod of Whitby, St. Colman took St. Aidan's relics and retired to Iona, which remained a stronghold of Celtic Christianity.

órë: noun \"heart"\ (inner mind),   laurëa: adjective \"golden, like gold"\ http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/quenya.htm
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2008, 07:15:06 AM »

Congratulations, EofK and Ytterbiumanalyst! Many Years! Glory to God!

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »

Thanks, everyone!  Yeah, Aidan would be named after St. Aidan.  I think if we're having another girl we might name her Bridget.

jayjay

« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43:29 AM »

Caleb Andrew Peter:

Caleb from the OT
Andrew my first name
Peter in memory of my Uncle Peter who died when the little fella was still in the womb.
Veronica

« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2008, 02:33:49 AM »

All of our children were born before we converted, but we were adamant that they be Biblical names and they couldn't be anything that was too weird because we have an odd last name, and they had to have good qualities that our children could emulate... so we have...

Timothy Daniel (after St. Timothy the apostle and Daniel is my husband's middle name and his father's middle name)

Abigail Marie (After King David's wife, she was wise and beautiful and Marie is my middle name, my aunt's, my grandma's, my great-grand's and so on)

Hannah Ruth ( Hosnestly we had what we came down to 3 names that we might actually use Hannah, Ruth and Elizabeth  and I thought Ruth as a first name was just a little too old fashioned, I am not fond of all of the nicknames that go along with Elizabeth and we had a girl in our youth group that my husband worked with named Hannah and so we had extra good connotation there and Ruth is actually one of my other Great-grand's names.)

We have found a picture of an Abigail icon that someone commissioned, but have not run across one for sale.

I want to thank the person who pointed out Dejan can become Deana, My name is Deanna and I was going to be chrismated Veronica and then Father chrismated me Deanna so I receive blessings and the Eucharist as Deanna. Father does have a mindset though that if no new names ever come into the fold, the Saint names will just be repeated over and over. I do however have a special place in my heart for St. Veronica, I connect with her. I had already picked my forum name here and a few other places before our chrismation, but that's ok.
Galina-Volga

Faith: Eastern Othodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Kosovo is the heart of Serbiya

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2008, 09:08:51 AM »

Veronica, I like the tradition to have the same middle name for generations.
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »

I share my mother's middle name, but I am not sure that I would pass it on to any daughter of mine.  Wink

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2008, 09:10:33 AM »

^ Knowing your middle name, I don't blame you. laugh

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Órëlaurëa
High Elder

« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2008, 02:19:28 AM »

It isn't a horrible name, or anything. . . it just doesn't fit me well (in my opinion), and I think there are other names I like better. Tongue

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2008, 11:07:59 AM »

^ No, it's not bad, it's just been overused recently. Grin

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »

I might make use of the name 'Olivia', after Mariska Hargitay's Law and Order: SVU Detective character.... Grin

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »

I don't have kids,  but my favorite names are Constantine, Demetrious, and Anastasia

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2010, 01:07:44 AM »

Oh! I had another kid recently! She is Arihsakwar Abria Kassiane.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2010, 02:31:51 AM »

Noah (son, age 12)
Zion (son, age 9)
Adayah (daughter, age 5)

The first two need no explanation, but Adayah is Hebrew for "JAH has adorned."

My wife and I have another on the way! Won't reveal the name just yet. Wink

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2010, 07:41:56 AM »

Congratulations! Smiley But... people thought we were wrong for naming our daughter the "difficult" Athanasia! I can only imagine the grief you'll get from people, lol Cheesy

Noah (son, age 12)
Zion (son, age 9)
Adayah (daughter, age 5)

The first two need no explanation, but Adayah is Hebrew for "JAH has adorned."

Congratulations! Smiley
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2010, 09:20:09 AM »

My older niece gave birth to a baby daughter last month. She and her husband named the daughter Alexandra. Traditional Ukrainian families usually call girls with this name "Lesya." (My wife is one of these girls.Smiley My niece and her husband, however, went "Westernized" and are calling their little one "Sandra."

Love never fails.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2010, 09:30:42 AM »

My older niece gave birth to a baby daughter last month. She and her husband named the daughter Alexandra. Traditional Ukrainian families usually call girls with this name "Lesya." (My wife is one of these girls.Smiley My niece and her husband, however, went "Westernized" and are calling their little one "Sandra."

Congratulations!

I know "Sandra" isn't traditional, but at least it's still feminine.  Smiley I hate when girls in the States shorten their name from "Alexandra" to "Alex." It takes a pretty girls name and turns it into a boys name.   Undecided

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

Congratulations!

I know "Sandra" isn't traditional, but at least it's still feminine.  Smiley I hate when girls in the States shorten their name from "Alexandra" to "Alex." It takes a pretty girls name and turns it into a boys name.   Undecided
Actually, not until I started teaching did I ever meet a boy named Alex. All through my life I've known several Alexes, and they have all been girls/women. So to me Alex is a very feminine name.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2010, 07:48:52 PM »

Congratulations! Smiley But... people thought we were wrong for naming our daughter the "difficult" Athanasia! I can only imagine the grief you'll get from people, lol Cheesy

I pull the ethnic card, and since we are in Seattle people just nod and smile (and occasionally cry) when I tell them it is an american indian name. Her name basically means "God is my abundant strength." But we call her Ari for short. I hope to have another boy so we can pull out the REALLY strange name- Tamootsen Zadok. But at present my husband doesn't want to have anymore biological children.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:50:33 PM by Quinault » Logged
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »

Elena Serafina

Elena, after Ellen her grandmother, St. Helen.
Serafina, after Seraphim.

Qui cantat, bis orat
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »

I pull the ethnic card, and since we are in Seattle people just nod and smile (and occasionally cry) when I tell them it is an american indian name. Her name basically means "God is my abundant strength." But we call her Ari for short. I hope to have another boy so we can pull out the REALLY strange name- Tamootsen Zadok. But at present my husband doesn't want to have anymore biological children.

That's really cool. Mind if I ask what tribe/language that is?

Also, what was your priest's reaction when you had her baptised? (If I'm being too nosey just tell me to shut-up!)

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »

Congratulations!

Actually, not until I started teaching did I ever meet a boy named Alex. All through my life I've known several Alexes, and they have all been girls/women. So to me Alex is a very feminine name.

But what about the infamous Alex P. Keaton???

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »

Our baby (nearly 10 months old) is Eleni Dianthe - We picked St. Eleni/Helen because we love her example, and like the sound of the name, without regard to the fact that we have many Elenis in our family trees (her favorite cousin, a close 2nd cousin, and her grandmother; my aunt & great-grandmother; and Sts. Constantine & Helen was my home parish for 25 years).  Dianthe (old Greek for "flower of Zeus/god") is my mother-in-law's name (she celebrates March 25th for the "Unfading Flower" - the Theotokos).

Thankfully, we have 3 names (2 female, 1 male) leftover from the selection process for "future expansion," so we don't have to do a name search any time soon.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2010, 07:37:47 AM »

My maternal grandmother, from a VERY Protestant family, was named Asenath (emphasis on the second syllable). I've never heard or seen that name elsewhere, other than in Genesis. Interestingly, and unlike her siblings, she had no other given name.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2010, 07:45:32 AM »

Congratulations!

But what about the infamous Alex P. Keaton???

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Michael J. Fox. I never watched that show, or Spin City for that matter. I just really didn't care about it.

choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2010, 09:11:02 AM »

Our baby (nearly 10 months old) is Eleni Dianthe - We picked St. Eleni/Helen because we love her example, and like the sound of the name

It IS a nice sounding name, isn't it?
I like girls' names with vowels and feminine flow. Elena seemed to do that Smiley

Qui cantat, bis orat
franthonyc

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of Detroit

« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »

My maternal grandmother, from a VERY Protestant family, was named Asenath (emphasis on the second syllable). I've never heard or seen that name elsewhere, other than in Genesis. Interestingly, and unlike her siblings, she had no other given name.

It's a legitimate Orthodox name, though. Asenath is mentioned with Joseph in the wedding service (though the accent is placed elsewhere).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:53:25 AM by franthonyc » Logged

Τῷ μεγάλῳ χρίεται μύρῳ καὶ χειρονεῖται βασιλεὺς καὶ αὐτοκράτωρ τῶν Ῥωμαίων, πάντων δηλαδὴ τῶν χριστιανῶν...οὐδὲν οὖν ἔνι καλὸν, υἱέ μου, ἵνα λέγῃς, ὅτι ἐκκλησίαν ἔχομεν, οὐχὶ βασιλέα, οὐκ ἔνι δυνατὸν εἰς τοὺς χριστιανοὺς, ἔκκλησίαν ἔχειν καὶ βασιλέα οὐκ ἔχειν. – EP Anthony to Basil of Moscow c. 1395
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »

I didn't know! Congratulations!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2010, 06:02:45 PM »

I didn't know! Congratulations!

Thank you my brother! But please don't tell anyone. It's a secret. Wink

Selam

Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Quinault
Protokentarchos

« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2010, 10:34:02 PM »

Also, what was your priest's reaction when you had her baptised? (If I'm being too nosey just tell me to shut-up!)

Our priest can't say any of our children's names. He calls them by their saint/baptismal names; Paraskeve, Anna, Seraphim and Kassiane. Arihsakwar is Mohawk, Abria is Hebrew.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:34:32 PM by Quinault » Logged
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »

Our priest can't say any of our children's names. He calls them by their saint/baptismal names; Paraskeve, Anna, Seraphim and Kassiane. Arihsakwar is Mohawk, Abria is Hebrew.

You have some beautiful names there! Abria is lovely; so is Kassiane.

In response to an earlier point - I'm used to Alex for girls, but 'Alexandra' has so many variations - we had Alexy, Alexie, Alexa, Lexie and Alexia, all in my yeargroup at school! Although 'Alexy' is not so feminine in other languages!

Isn't it odd how names are gendered differently in different languages?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #175 on: December 25, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »

Muslim response to this was moved to Religious Topics.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #176 on: December 27, 2010, 02:56:29 AM »

hm...if I were to have Children, I'd be paranoid of picking the best patron saint for my Child.  eventually I'd get a migrane and tell my future child's spiritual father to pick a name. 

I would probably name them after a Slavic saint or a biblical one (I'm fond of the myrrh baring women, so I'd probaly pick a name from them) or one of the Holy Archangels for my son.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2010, 03:25:53 AM »

Zenith and Quasar

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2010, 03:40:10 AM »

Zenith and Quasar

Very cool.  Cool

Selam