OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 05:58:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Baby Can Read  (Read 1724 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: September 15, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »

Has anyone used this program?  Our family doctor suggested it, and said that she's seen it work very well.  I'm just looking for other personal experiences with this program (or very similar ones).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
lizzyd

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:26:11 PM »

I have it, and sometimes my son watches it. We're TV-free other than Your Baby Can Read. That said, I don't try to force it on him - if he wants to watch it, he can. If he doesn't, then I'll turn it off. I just want it to be a fun thing. He'll eventually learn to read regardless, so I don't get worked up about it.
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:51:34 AM »

Word of warning - my mother tried 'baby reading' type things with me and was very upset and bothered when they didn't work.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 07:09:18 AM »

I have it, and sometimes my son watches it. We're TV-free other than Your Baby Can Read. That said, I don't try to force it on him - if he wants to watch it, he can. If he doesn't, then I'll turn it off. I just want it to be a fun thing. He'll eventually learn to read regardless, so I don't get worked up about it.

Sounds like a good approach: he learns, but it isn't overbearing.  Thanks!

Word of warning - my mother tried 'baby reading' type things with me and was very upset and bothered when they didn't work. 

I'm usually pretty skeptical about this sort of thing, but our primary care physician says that it works most of the time, so we thought we'd give it a try.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »

I've not tried the program itself, but Mr. Y and I read to Cait every day, as many books as she wants. She knows most of the alphabet now, likes to pick out letters she recognizes, and can tell you what sounds they make just from our going through alphabet books a million times, spelling and sounding out words, etc.  We've never pushed her to learn any of it but she's soaked it in like a little sponge.  It's amazing the things really small children will pick up when you give them the opportunity!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Eugenio
Elder

Jurisdiction: I love them all

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »

I've seen the ads for this product, and I've got to say the idea is asinine!  Angry

These babies are simply memorizing strings of letters and aping the sounds for words - they have no idea of the context of what they're reading.

I've also got to wonder if they're going to burn these kids out on the idea of reading before they even reach kindergarten!

I'll stick to reading to my own baby, and letting him point out pictures. Why place pressure on a two-year-old?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »

I've seen the ads for this product, and I've got to say the idea is asinine!  Angry

Wow.

These babies are simply memorizing strings of letters and aping the sounds for words - they have no idea of the context of what they're reading.

Um, unless you haven't noticed, 14 year-olds have a hard time with the context of what they're reading, let alone 2 year-olds.

Why place pressure on a two-year-old? 

Why does using a program like this equate to pressure?  (I'm asking honestly - evaluating the pro and con arguments before I make a decision on this subject.)

---------------------
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »

That's pretty much what they've been doing since birth, though, is memorizing familiar shapes and mimicking the sounds their families make.  They don't really understand that there's a linear story until 2-3 years old anyway and even then their comprehension is rudimentary.  I don't think the program is harmful unless there is undue pressure put on the child.  I, like you, have just practiced reading to my daughter and let her direct me when she's tired of it.  She usually makes it through 6-7 picture books before she gets bored.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:21:32 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
jaderook

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »

I've also got to wonder if they're going to burn these kids out on the idea of reading before they even reach kindergarten!

I'll stick to reading to my own baby, and letting him point out pictures. Why place pressure on a two-year-old?

Please keep in mind that learning to decode is not at all the same thing as being literate, as being literate requires reading comprehension.  For example, a native English speaker could have acquired the ability to decode Greek and yet have absolutely no idea what anything they are "reading" actually means.  This works the same way for babies.  When learning to read everyone has to start somewhere and we usually start with decoding.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:58:02 AM by jaderook » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »

Father,
I would save my $$.  My take on this is kids are going to like tv and computers more than we did growing up (mostly because they have them lol).  Why not let the babies get familiar with their surroundings naturally versus tv? 

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »

While I'm not familiar with this program, there was a mother in my parish in Atlanta that taught her son to read by reading the King James Bible to him. She said that every other attempt to teach him had failed, so she just sat down with him every night and read the KJV to him.

I can only imagine what kind of vocabulary he must have had entering kindergarten!  Grin laugh
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:21:57 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 06:20:54 PM »

While I'm not familiar with this program, there was a mother in my parish in Atlanta that taught her son to read by reading the King James Bible to him. She said that every other attempt to teach him had failed, so she just sat down with him every night and read the KJV to him.

I can only imagine what kind of vocabulary he must have had entering kindergarten!  Grin laugh

Pretty much like half my friends from the local Orthodox Church... for fun they use a lot of thees and thous and such in conversation haha,

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 12:10:07 AM »

Has anyone used this program?  Our family doctor suggested it, and said that she's seen it work very well.  I'm just looking for other personal experiences with this program (or very similar ones).
Fr. George,
Two of my many kids were reading at age 3 because my neighbor, also my babysitter, was an elementary school teacher.  They used alphabet animal books every day.  First, they went through all the simple phonic sounds.  For example:
 a says a a a alligator
 b says ba ba ba bear
Later, she used alphabet flash cards.  Finally, she put small words together with the  flash cards. C    A     T

After  your child learns the simple phonics sounds, I recommend ABeka phonics books which teach all the crazy sounds like “tion” says shun.  There are some Evangelical words/concepts in these books like “rapture” but not too many. There are not too many that you can't tear them out of the book.

Being able to read during kindergarten will make school easier for your child.  Your child will not traumatized by reading animal phonics books.  Smiley

Tatiana

Jurisdiction: OCA

tonya_simmons
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 02:17:09 AM »

Okay, first I have to preface my comments with the fact that I am Eugenio's wife. He finally got me to join, and now I'm fairly hooked.

And I also have to say that I found his comments a bit harsh. Sorry, dear.

That said, I do have some problems with the whole video system for babies. (I'm an elearning instructional designer, so I'm all for electronic learning in general). Part of my reservation is a radio ad I heard for the product where parents talked about how they "didn't have to do anything." About how easy it was to just let their child watch TV. It was rather creepy. And I'm not saying that anyone on the list is going to use it as an electronic babysitter, or that they're bad parents or anything like that.

It's more that since going back to work (I was home with our guy for a year), I treasure the time I get to spend with him. And most of the time that means him pulling a book from the shelf and plopping himself down in my lap saying, "Read, read." Granted, the fifth time through Good Night Moon in a night can be a little mind numbing, but the sheer act of just snuggling with him and watching him enjoy the process of reading is so special.

Another issue I have with the whole "Your Baby Can Read" thing is that I've watched kids on the commercials reading books that are far beyond their capacity to understand. And I read the posts about comprehension about being literate, but this isn't about that. There's seems to me an inherent danger of exposing a child to more information than he or she might be ready for. And I speak from experience on this one - as a developed reader in 2nd & 3rd grade, I found Judy Blume books waaaay too soon. My mother had to explain things to me that she wasn't really ready to do and I certainly didn't need to know at that age. And I was pulling these things out of my Catholic school library, not wandering unrestricted in the public library.

I would never presume to tell another parent don't do this, or do this. Certainly, I have reservations about the program, but I think in the end we all have to make the decision that is best for our specific situation/child/family.

Oh, and as for the ABC/phonics books for little ones, a friend of ours gave my son a beautiful ABC book for his Baptism called Letters from Heaven. It uses Orthodox concepts & traditional iconography to present the alphabet.

Tags: education baby 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: