OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 01:49:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Wife Has Fallen  (Read 1447 times) Average Rating: 0
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« on: September 15, 2009, 02:13:46 PM »

First... thank you for your prayers. We reached Maui safely. Unfortunately, the trip has been somewhat marred by the fact that she fell from the shuttle due to the negligence of the shuttle driver. She's black and blue on her hip and her knee is twisted. So... what to do? We're here and trying to make the best of things but our trip has been severely altered since we are unable to do the things we had planned. I suppose it means lounging around the pool and reading books plus some car trips and photography. Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed at the cavalier attitude of the driver. He never provided the stepping device (which was by his seat), he never offered to assist me in helping my wife to her feet, he never offered an ice pack nor did he even take an incident report BUT he did take my tip. grrrr I've taken pictures of her injuries and I'm beside myself as I see her hobbling about in obvious pain. I want to take her to the hospital but she refuses. I've sent an e-mail to the hotel back stateside and before we boarded the plane I called on our cell. Frankly, I'm not sure how far I'm willing to make an issue of this. I just can't get his "Ooops... too bad" expression while he stood and watched me help her to her feet. Please pray that her pain subsides and that her injuries are only of a temporary nature (which I suspect to be the case). We will seek medical attention if her pain continues. Thank you so much for your prayers. They mean a lot to us. AND yes...Maui is very beautiful. Thank you, Lord.

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »

Lord, have mercy! I am sorry, Douglas.

Love never fails.
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »

Oh dear.. I'll pray, Douglas.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:53:56 PM »

That's terrible!  Lord, have mercy.

I hope she mends quickly and you can resume your planned activities.

In the meantime, just relax and enjoy the beauty around you.  

God be with you.

PS.  Did you get the driver's name?  Did you tell the hotel?  Maybe if they realize the pain and inconvenience they might reduce the room rate, or give you an upgrade, or something.  I've never had that happen for me - but, it always works on TV.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:16:21 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »

God be with you.

PS.  Did you get the driver's name?  Did you tell the hotel?  Maybe if they realize the pain and inconvenience they might reduce the room rate, or give you an upgrade, or something.  I've never had that happen for me - but, it always works on TV.

Hi Liz

The hotel knows. I called them from our cell at the airport and informed them before we flew out. In other words, I was the one who made the incident report and not the driver (completely opposite of the way things should proceed). Airport security film would doubtless show the incident and it's easy enough to discover who was working that day and ask for eye-witness reports. We definitely have a very good case against the hotel but I'm not sure I want to follow through on it. I've written an email but have not received a response. Probably what I will do is call them in a few days and inform them of what has transpired. At the very least, they can (and should) offer to pay any hospital charges for a check-up and any lost wages once my wife attempts to return to work. Put yourself in our shoes. You save for a year for your trip only to have it severely altered because of negligence on the part of hotel staff. I'm not an ambulance chaser, Liz. Never have been one who looks to make money of others. But I do believe in standing up for our rights and in this case, that driver's attitude really bothers me. I'll pray about it... explore my options and go from there. But I want to emphasize that the prayers of Christians such as those who have replied to this thread are greatly appreciated. I'm so protective of my wife and it sort of embarrasses me. Please forgive me if any here believe that I'm just looking to make gain from this. I'm not as the Lord is my witness. I'm hoping to receive an apology, an assurance that this will be discussed with all their drivers AND any hospital expenses that we might incur. Beyond that probably nothing.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 12:17:54 AM »

Prayers for your wife's comfort...

If the pain last's more than 2/3 days go to the ER , a fractured hip/pelvis is painful and uncomfortable...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 12:21:35 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »

That sounds awful! You must be furious (and with reason).

My mother had an accident a while back that left her almost unable to walk for a while, so I know how you feel.

Maybe you could scout around and buy or bring back some lovely treats for your wife that she can enjoy while relatively still? Some nice food, maybe some flowers for where you're staying as she'll presumably be in the hotel for longer than she'd like. I'm trying to think of things that could cheer her up because she must be feeling very down - I know it's very tough on you too but I bet she's feeling bad because it's spoiling your time too. Such a shame - I hope you get some compensation from the company!

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »

May the Lord have mercy on His Servants!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »

God be with you.

Hi Liz

I'm not an ambulance chaser, Liz. Never have been one who looks to make money of others. But I do believe in standing up for our rights and in this case, that driver's attitude really bothers me. I'll pray about it... explore my options and go from there. But I want to emphasize that the prayers of Christians such as those who have replied to this thread are greatly appreciated. I'm so protective of my wife and it sort of embarrasses me. Please forgive me if any here believe that I'm just looking to make gain from this. I'm not as the Lord is my witness. I'm hoping to receive an apology, an assurance that this will be discussed with all their drivers AND any hospital expenses that we might incur. Beyond that probably nothing.

Douglas,

I hope you did not misconstrue my post.  I never meant to even suggest you were an ambulance chaser.  Never.  I was simply suggesting that the hotel might take some responsibility for the accident.

I know exactly how you feel.   We went to Toronto a while back, and my mother fell.  Completely screwed up her ankle.  She was stuck in the hotel for most of the time. My sister and I were still fairly young and were a bit hesitant to venture out alone.  Therefore, all our plans fell through.  Very little sightseeing for the first few days.

I hope and pray that your wife is not badly hurt, and with a day or two or rest the both of you can resume your plans.

Lord, have mercy.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 10:52:02 AM »

Lord have mercy.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 12:49:17 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »

Douglas,

I hope you did not misconstrue my post.  I never meant to even suggest you were an ambulance chaser.  Never.  I was simply suggesting that the hotel might take some responsibility for the accident.

I know exactly how you feel.   We went to Toronto a while back, and my mother fell.  Completely screwed up her ankle.  She was stuck in the hotel for most of the time. My sister and I were still fairly young and were a bit hesitant to venture out alone.  Therefore, all our plans fell through.  Very little sightseeing for the first few days.

I hope and pray that your wife is not badly hurt, and with a day or two or rest the both of you can resume your plans.

Lord, have mercy.

Thanks, Liz (and everyone else). My wife is a very determined woman and once she makes her mind up, there's little possibility of dissuading her. She determined right from the pavement, to carry on with the trip. I would have cancelled (we had flight insurance) and booked a later date. We sat on the lanai last night and recounted our blessings. She's able to get around, Liz (and others), but with some tenderness. One good thing: her shopping expeditions have been severely curtailed (I'm speaking with tongue in cheek). ;-)

We cancelled our trip to Hana today since it would mean she would have to climb in and out of a tour bus several times. I rebooked it for Sunday so hopefully those few days will help to ease her discomfort. We're trying to look at other options (i.e. instead of walking about Lahaina, we'll drive to different scenic spots). Funny incident yesterday. We drove NW past Nipili to where the road becomes one lane and literally hugs the face of a cliff. I got into that predicament before I knew what had happened and there is NO way back. You MUST go forward. Trust me... I was petrefied. What if someone was coming from the other direction? Finally we arrived at this little stand where the lady was selling  "the world's best banana bread" (or so she claimed). That was the BEST treat I've eaten in a very long time... probably due to the fact that it was so dangerous to procure. LOL I asked her what to do... go forward of go back. She said... "Well... the scariest part of your drive is probably over but if you go forward you have 8 more miles of it but not quite that bad. " To continue forward would have meant encircling that part of the island and bringing us to Kahalui. I decided to go back. I met a man selling pineapple and stopped to ask for his help which essentially mean... I bought his pineapple treats. LOL Anyway... he advised me to drive to bends... take a long look and then race for the next bend. Trust me: that mile and a half gave me the most opportunity to make the sign of the Cross I've ever made. It was one Hail Mary drive that I won't easily forget. So... you see... we're having an adventure!

I asked her today what she wanted to do and she had gotten up early to check things out on the internet, bless her heart. I also have a feeling that the prayers of the good people here are having a profound effect upon our vacation. Thank you, All, and thank you Lord.

zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »

Thank-God she hasn't fallen from the faith...that would be a misstep indeed...but thank-God for His unseen mercies which may sometimes be confused as ill gotten consequences.   

john

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 06:06:08 PM »

Господе Помилуј И Благослови...Амин.......

Lord Have Mercy And Bless....Amen.........

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: