Author Topic: How to improve the self-obedience?  (Read 132 times)

Offline krajisnik

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
How to improve the self-obedience?
« on: July 16, 2018, 06:16:47 AM »
Maybe self-controll should be the right term, but here I think about this:
The obedience is quite common between two persons, however, I am talking here about myself-1 who knows what should do in accordance with the faith and God, and myself-2 that easily cheats me, makes me fool.

The myself-1 says: go in the morning to the Church. Than eat properly and go work on this important task for 3 hours.
The another, myself-2 says: well, you went to sleep to late, if you go to the Church you will be not so efficient to do the important task. Better to sleep longer. Than, I sleep longer, wake up but feel I need to do just some small other things first. The day passes actually without doing the important task either.

As you see, my low level of self-control, or self-obedience is torturing me.
What to do? How to overcome these passions?

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: How to improve the self-obedience?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:08:50 AM »
Things that have helped me so far with this exact problem: discipline, strict routine, having a written schedule, trying to cut things that make me procrastinate more from the root (in my case, basically social media) and avoiding turning my attention away from whatever I need to do (procrastination and impulsivity always work this way). I have ADHD, so this kind of problem is medical to me, which sucks, but at least means I have professional care for that and learned how powerful can some change of routine be. Man is very conditionable in general.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline krajisnik

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »
Things that have helped me so far with this exact problem: discipline, strict routine, having a written schedule, trying to cut things ...  and avoiding turning my attention away from whatever I need to do
Sounds good. But I am disobedient. I want discipline but I find a reason just today not to.. I put a schedule, yet I go round it, I cut the things but I feel like my hands are doing something that I don't want to do (opening computer, writing a post, taking wrong food, avoiding important things). I put reminder, but when it starts I turn it off, because I will 'do' it later.  I want to pray, I start and I am distracted, feeling heavy or something else breaks my praying.

Every evening I feel miserable. I 'promise' to be a better person tomorrow. But it doesn't happen.
 I feel almost helpless.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »
I know how you feel. In one hand, it takes a lot of willpower to cut ourselves from the vicious circle, but on the other hand it takes us a lot of abstraction to hold to it, since we must always be deviating our focus from the main tasks to keep procrastinating and misdoing stuff. Try cutting the abstraction, and, as result, self-indulgence will become much harder.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
It may also help to remember our obedience is really to God, and not ourselves.  We may struggle within ourselves, but I'm not sure it's quite the same thing as obedience to oneself.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline krajisnik

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
It may also help to remember our obedience is really to God, and not ourselves.
That is indeed correct..

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »
Sounds good. But I am disobedient... I want to pray, I start and I am distracted, feeling heavy or something else breaks my praying.  Every evening I feel miserable. I 'promise' to be a better person tomorrow. But it doesn't happen. I feel almost helpless.
I think that you take yourself too seriously.  Just say an Our Father and be content with it.  Or even one prostration and be done with it and move on to bed.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός