OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:03:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Approaching the chalice from the right  (Read 878 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: September 14, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »

After the Divine Liturgy of the Elevation of the Cross this morning, our priest admonished the faithful by reminding them of the parable where Jesus said that he will separate the sheep from the goats, with the sheep on his right.  And he said, "likewise, when you approach the chalice, approach it from the right."

I didn't understand what he was referring to here.  Obviously people were approaching it from the left, which is not proper to do.  Is he referring to his right, as he is facing us? And what does he mean by "approach from the right" exactly?
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:04:49 PM »

I've never heard of this outside of the Altar (priests communing from the Bishop).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:49:46 AM »

I've only ever seen the faithful approach the Chalice from straight ahead (a straight line through the center of the church).
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:03:23 AM »

Ok, i'll clarify a bit the layout of the chapel. The chapel has seating on the left and the right sides. At the center, between the congregation and the iconostatis, is an icon stand. Between the icon stand and the iconostatis is where the priest was serving communion.  Perhaps he was intending for people to walk around the right side of the icon stand instead of the left to approach the chalice? Still i'm not sure if he was referring to his right, facing us, or the other way around.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:03:58 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »

Ok, i'll clarify a bit the layout of the chapel. The chapel has seating on the left and the right sides. At the center, between the congregation and the iconostatis, is an icon stand. Between the icon stand and the iconostatis is where the priest was serving communion.  Perhaps he was intending for people to walk around the right side of the icon stand instead of the left to approach the chalice? Still i'm not sure if he was referring to his right, facing us, or the other way around.

If the Priest wishes to be this detailed about how the faithful should approach the Chalice, he should direct everyone to approach the chalice from the right side, facing the iconostasis, and depart from the chalice from the same right side facing the iconostasis.

There are icons of Christ distributing Communion to the Apostles from His left and right hand.  What is wrong with this Priest?   Huh  If the icon stand is an impediment, moving the icon stand is easier.   Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:36:36 AM »

Just walk around the stand it a clockwise motion.  That is likely what he meant.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:44:56 AM »

I've only ever seen the faithful approach the Chalice from straight ahead (a straight line through the center of the church).

For the most part this seems to be the case, depending on the layout of the temple. Occassionally, depending on how they arrange the icons up front, I have venerated one icon, received the Eucharist, venerated the second icon.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 03:14:32 AM »

Just walk around the stand it a clockwise motion.  That is likely what he meant.

Ok, this would be approaching from his right side, facing the congregation.  This makes sense.
Tags: communion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: