Author Topic: Approaching the chalice from the right  (Read 945 times)

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
Approaching the chalice from the right
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
After the Divine Liturgy of the Elevation of the Cross this morning, our priest admonished the faithful by reminding them of the parable where Jesus said that he will separate the sheep from the goats, with the sheep on his right.  And he said, "likewise, when you approach the chalice, approach it from the right."

I didn't understand what he was referring to here.  Obviously people were approaching it from the left, which is not proper to do.  Is he referring to his right, as he is facing us? And what does he mean by "approach from the right" exactly?

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: Approaching the chalice from the right
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:04:49 PM »
I've never heard of this outside of the Altar (priests communing from the Bishop).
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:49:46 AM »
I've only ever seen the faithful approach the Chalice from straight ahead (a straight line through the center of the church).
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:03:23 AM »
Ok, i'll clarify a bit the layout of the chapel. The chapel has seating on the left and the right sides. At the center, between the congregation and the iconostatis, is an icon stand. Between the icon stand and the iconostatis is where the priest was serving communion.  Perhaps he was intending for people to walk around the right side of the icon stand instead of the left to approach the chalice? Still i'm not sure if he was referring to his right, facing us, or the other way around.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:03:58 AM by Ortho_cat »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »
Ok, i'll clarify a bit the layout of the chapel. The chapel has seating on the left and the right sides. At the center, between the congregation and the iconostatis, is an icon stand. Between the icon stand and the iconostatis is where the priest was serving communion.  Perhaps he was intending for people to walk around the right side of the icon stand instead of the left to approach the chalice? Still i'm not sure if he was referring to his right, facing us, or the other way around.

If the Priest wishes to be this detailed about how the faithful should approach the Chalice, he should direct everyone to approach the chalice from the right side, facing the iconostasis, and depart from the chalice from the same right side facing the iconostasis.

There are icons of Christ distributing Communion to the Apostles from His left and right hand.  What is wrong with this Priest?   ???  If the icon stand is an impediment, moving the icon stand is easier.   :)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:36:36 AM »
Just walk around the stand it a clockwise motion.  That is likely what he meant.

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 01:44:56 AM »
I've only ever seen the faithful approach the Chalice from straight ahead (a straight line through the center of the church).

For the most part this seems to be the case, depending on the layout of the temple. Occassionally, depending on how they arrange the icons up front, I have venerated one icon, received the Eucharist, venerated the second icon.
"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 03:14:32 AM »
Just walk around the stand it a clockwise motion.  That is likely what he meant.

Ok, this would be approaching from his right side, facing the congregation.  This makes sense.