OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:21:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Renewal of Wedding Vows  (Read 3668 times) Average Rating: 0
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« on: March 26, 2007, 12:23:25 AM »

My wife and have asked several priests over the years about the possibility of having a renewal of our wedding vows. We were told that there is no such thing in the Orthodox faith.  Okay.  Are there any services or prayers that can be done that are somewhat close to a recommitment.  Again the answer was no, not in the Orthodox faith.  Who am I to question the wisdom of a priest.   Roll Eyes 

Tonight, while browsing online for something else I find this page http://www.antiochian.org/1146861512, which shows a couple having the "Service of Crowning for Wedding Anniversaries" in their honor.   Shocked  But wait. . . we were told that there's no such thing.   Huh 

Is this service something new, something Antiochian?  I remain confused.

PB
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:43:41 AM »

Perhaps they were being facicious.  Maybe they were saying "there's no such thing" to teach you that your vows are your vows, and that's it.  Why would you need to renew a sacrament that only takes place once?  Shouldn't your whole life together be a renewal of that vow? 

Just trying to put myself in their shoes. 

Also, I think that it is just an Antiochian thing, cuz i've heard other Antiochian churches do something similar. 

Roman Catholics do it too, fyi. 

I think the real question is:  Why are you doing it? 

Sometimes people do these things because they have marital problems.  That's what the priest is there for, to help you with counseling etc. and to give you resources for those issues. 

Also other times people just do it to do it....well arn't you then just "yanking on the chain" of the Holy Spirit? 

Just some thoughts...

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 08:51:38 AM »

When I was married the preist told us that in orthodoxy the couple doesn't vow anything like other faiths. God is the one putting us together. So if we don't vow anything how can we renew our vows?  Wink

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:07:26 AM »

My wife and have asked several priests over the years about the possibility of having a renewal of our wedding vows. We were told that there is no such thing in the Orthodox faith.  Okay.  Are there any services or prayers that can be done that are somewhat close to a recommitment.  Again the answer was no, not in the Orthodox faith.  Who am I to question the wisdom of a priest.   Roll Eyes 

Tonight, while browsing online for something else I find this page http://www.antiochian.org/1146861512, which shows a couple having the "Service of Crowning for Wedding Anniversaries" in their honor.   Shocked  But wait. . . we were told that there's no such thing.   Huh 

Is this service something new, something Antiochian?  I remain confused.

PB

This is the first time I have heard of such a thing.  It is an innovation by all appearances. It's also superfluous in a sense--your wedding is renewed every time you receive Holy Communion together. However, I can understand why you feel a desire for such a service when culturally such things are quite common here.

If you want to do some type of formal prayer service perhaps arrange for a priest to celebrate an Akathist of Thanksgiving or if a Slavic parish a Moleben. But no such thing as a renewal of vows since no vows were exchanged in your original wedding Wink Just my two cents.

In Christ,

Anstasios
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 09:08:41 AM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:48:22 AM »

I am Antiochian and have never heard anything about this in my history with the Antiochian Church---it was in Wilkes Barr, Pa---that is an old Orthodox  populated area---maybe it a holdover from St. Alexis Toth's time?

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 12:27:12 PM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 07:23:53 PM »

Thomas,

I'm sorry I didn't understand your post.  Would you mind clarifying? 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Simayan
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate - GOA

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:43:17 PM »

We actually did this in my church. It wasn't a renewel of vows, but because it was their 50th wedding anniversary, they wanted to do something.

They brought in the flower-crown thing (sorry, I've never been to an Orthodox wedding, so I don't know what it's called), the priest said a prayer, they kissed, and everyone clapped. Lasted about 5 minutes at the end of church.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death, nor mourning nor crying nor suffering, for the old order of things has passed away."
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 09:45:19 PM »

In WV, the Antiochian Church I go to said a quick prayer after the liturgy in commemorating the 50th anniversary of an Orthodox couple in the church, but no crowning was done.  They were just required to go up next to the priest with candles in their hands.

I think this is done especially if the whole congregation feel like a family together (in small churches I suppose).

God bless.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 09:46:50 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:27:33 PM »

I think I like Mina's a little bit better.  Its not as ostentatious.  I think doing the crowns again is too much.  It would be like the King and Queen of Byzantium getting crowned again after 20 years of rule.  It just doesn't make sense. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: