OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 11:41:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do I feel this way?  (Read 1501 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: September 13, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »

I've noticed over the past year I've lost my fervor for things Orthodox.  I can't exactly explain how it's happened.  I still go to Divine Liturgy, although I struggle to make it on time many days.  I feel out of place spiritually at my present parish, although I can't explain exactly why.  I walk into the church, venerate Mary and thank her for being there, but then I feel out of place when I join everyone else.  I don't know how to explain it, except that I grow restless with the chant, find it difficult to pray the prayers, etc.  There's incense and chanting and the like, but I find it difficult to be at calm to pray, and I leave church with an empty feeling.  I suppose I'm experiencing some confusion as well, since my last parish I did not experience this as much, and when I attended the Byzantine Catholic parish spiritually I felt it was home, except for the Papal Supremacy, Purgatory and other issues.               
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:36:08 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 08:53:43 PM »

God bless.

I think everyone feels this way sometimes. Sometimes we try too hard and worry too much. I hope you feel better soon.

God be with you,

Liz
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »

But what exactly are these "things Orthodox?"

Personally, I have lost, perhaps irreversibly, a lot of my former attraction to what is commonly called "theology." I now find is strange, eerily tautological and generally irrelevant to almost anything I know, experience, learn, feel, see, believe.

On the other hand, when I am standing "in awe," when I am "standing aright" during the Holy Anaphora (and the rest of the Divine Liturgy), I sense more, and more, and more...

Love never fails.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:35:50 PM »

Accidie again.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,14479.0.html

It's totally normal.  Just try to pray, even though it's hard.  Even a little prayer, like "Lord have mercy," is acceptable to God when said during one of these dry spells.  I'll pray for you.

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »

Accidie again.

It's totally normal.  Just try to pray, even though it's hard.  Even a little prayer, like "Lord have mercy," is acceptable to God when said during one of these dry spells.  I'll pray for you.

Please also pray for me if you believe that it is necessary for an Orthodox to believe, say, in the literal Adam and Eve, or in the corruption of the entire human race by the sin of Adam, or in the carved-in-stone "fact" that the Church "knows" everything about, say, human sexuality. I feel like I have lost these beliefs forever...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:41:55 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:56:36 PM »

I think people on this forum have been doing way too much thinking.   Smiley  That's just what I think.

Try to relax.  I'll pray for you too.   Smiley

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 01:46:45 AM »

I think people on this forum have been doing way too much thinking.   Smiley  That's just what I think.
I'm not sure that is helpful, and I certainly would not find it so. If someone were to say to me that to be a Christian I have to think less, I would reject Christianity all together. When I read the Epistles and the Gospels, especially the opening of St. John's Gospel, I see beautiful thinking. When I read the Fathers, I see beautiful thinking. Sometimes on this forum I see beautiful thinking, but oftentimes I do not. Oftentimes I see statements which are parrot fashion repetitions of untested prejudices and factual errors. Thats OK, I realize that people are different, but I don't think that being a Christian means thinking at the level of the lowest common denominator. I think the opposite is true in the Orthodox Church, that is, while we are all different, we are expected to meet together at the highest common denominator, which is the Mystery of Holy Communion.
I have to agree with Socrates- the unexamined life is not worth living, certainly not for me. I think understand where Heorhij is coming from, and to say that less thinking is what is needed would probably be anathema. It certainly is to me.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 01:56:13 AM »

I could see how my earlier comment could be read as being flippant.  My apologies to you, Heorhij, St. George, and anyone else I offended.

I guess what I was trying to say is that sometimes we overanalyze things too much.  Sometimes it's best to just let go and be OK with not having an answer to everything.  It's just a piece of advice which has helped me in my own personal life.  If others don't find it helpful, they may ignore it.   Smiley

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 02:18:11 AM »

The dry times are also the exciting times, because they really test your resolve.  Remember the parable of the seeds, gird your loins, put your hand to the plow and start to till the soil.  The Kingdom of God is within you; take heart!  Kyrie eleison!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:18:34 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 06:33:22 AM »

and when I attended the Byzantine Catholic parish spiritually I felt it was home, except for the Papal Supremacy, Purgatory and other issues.
LOL! Not much of a home then.  Tongue

Maybe you just need some good company. Wink
If it's not that, then take your time to think about what God has done for you. If that won't work, you know what you have to do...be merciful to everyone you see.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »

Accidie again.

Please also pray for me if you believe that it is necessary for an Orthodox to believe, say, in the literal Adam and Eve, or in the corruption of the entire human race by the sin of Adam, or in the carved-in-stone "fact" that the Church "knows" everything about, say, human sexuality. I feel like I have lost these beliefs forever...

then you can feel me. As much as I loved anything churchy as a kid. It freaks me out now.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:41:58 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Tags: accidie 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print