OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 05:02:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend an English-language prayer book?  (Read 2577 times) Average Rating: 0
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« on: September 12, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »

Hope this is in the right place!

My partner is looking for a book that has the English versions of prayers commonly said during the services. He speaks fluent English, but he learnt the prayers in Church Slavonic when he was little, so he would like to have a book of English versions so he could take it to service with him and get familiar with the English. Can anyone recommend a good book (preferably available online or in the UK). If it were parallel text of the Church Slavonic and the English, I suppose that'd be even better - but any good English versions would be nice to know about!

Thanks,

Liz
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 05:55:25 PM »

Do you mean a prayer book (morning prayers, evening prayers, prayers before travelling etc.) or a book with a Divine Liturgy text?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »

Do you mean a prayer book (morning prayers, evening prayers, prayers before travelling etc.) or a book with a Divine Liturgy text?

Both, please!  Smiley
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 06:11:03 PM »

In this thread I linked to a source that seemed to have a nice little prayer book:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19302.msg285079.html#msg285079

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »

If you're looking for a book with all of the services, you would need to get the Great Horologion. If you're in a church following Slavic usage your best bet would be the one published by the Jordanville Monastery. If you're just looking for a simple prayer book with the basic morning and evening prayers plus the Liturgy, the same monastery publishes a smaller Prayer Book.

You can find them several places online.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:15:49 PM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:02:07 AM »

If you're looking for a book with all of the services, you would need to get the Great Horologion. If you're in a church following Slavic usage your best bet would be the one published by the Jordanville Monastery. If you're just looking for a simple prayer book with the basic morning and evening prayers plus the Liturgy, the same monastery publishes a smaller Prayer Book.

You can find them several places online.

Thanks very much, and thanks Salpy too!

I think he's really just looking for something in decent, well-translated English so he can recongise how the Church Slavonic translates. Has anyone else been in this situation with language where you learnt prayers in one language and now need them in another?
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »

Have him check out the Old Orthodox prayer book published by the Old Rite Church of the Nativity. It is in both English and Slavonic. It is very good.

https://securehost85.hrwebservices.net/~cotn//shopping/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=d5d3632cc7fd0da775d362dcbb0c24ba
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »

Have him check out the Old Orthodox prayer book published by the Old Rite Church of the Nativity. It is in both English and Slavonic. It is very good.

https://securehost85.hrwebservices.net/~cotn//shopping/product_info.php?products_id=28&osCsid=d5d3632cc7fd0da775d362dcbb0c24ba

Andrew, that looks great. Thanks so much!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »

Does this prayer book use the Psalter According to the Seventy translated by the HTM, or is it a translation from the Slavonic?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »

It uses HTM's translation.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 05:01:30 PM »

Great! I just ordered a copy. It seems to be the only prayer book that includes the Hours, so it looks like it's the best thing available until someone gets round to publishing an English Horologion that isn't the size of a car. Are any of the other prayers taken from the HTM translations (concluding prayers of the Hours, for example)?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »

Since I've never seen HTM's Horologion, I can't say for sure, but I think that the texts of the Hours themselves were translated from the Old Ritualist Slavonic books used @ the Erie parish from scratch by a committee of three.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 06:04:34 PM »

Great! I just ordered a copy. It seems to be the only prayer book that includes the Hours, so it looks like it's the best thing available until someone gets round to publishing an English Horologion that isn't the size of a car. Are any of the other prayers taken from the HTM translations (concluding prayers of the Hours, for example)?

BTW. I have a copy of the Old Rite prayer book. And it does contain the Hours from Matins through to Vespers. And it also contains the Divine Liturgy. But it does omit both Compline and the Midnight Office. I just wanted to make it clear that it doesn't include all the Hours.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »

BTW. I have a copy of the Old Rite prayer book. And it does contain the Hours from Matins through to Vespers. And it also contains the Divine Liturgy. But it does omit both Compline and the Midnight Office. I just wanted to make it clear that it doesn't include all the Hours.

Thanks. Yes, I noticed it was not a complete Horologion. I've never quite understood why most prayer books contain the prayers that most people say at home - where one can easily use a bulky Horologion - but leave out the prayers one would normally say when out and about, which is when a pocket-sized book comes in handy. The Old Rite prayer book gets it the right way round by including the daytime prayers while omitting the Midnight and Compline prayers one would normally say at home (although it would have been even better if these were also included).
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 11:48:17 PM »

That is one of the many things that I love about Church of the Nativity's prayer book is that it contains the Hours which is really nice.
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 06:46:27 PM »

I just found a downloadable abridged Horologion (including the Psalter) which you can print and bind yourself, here are the files: http://members.cox.net/theotokos/.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »

I received a copy of the Old Orthodox Prayer Book a couple of days ago and so far I'm very happy with it. I would definitely recommend it (until a pocket edition of the HTM Horologion is published  Grin).

I just found a downloadable abridged Horologion (including the Psalter) which you can print and bind yourself, here are the files: http://members.cox.net/theotokos/.

Toda raba! This looks very good too.
Tags: prayer book prayer books 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: